Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best NYC Subway App

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Best NYC Subway App

What is the best subway app for a visitor? I read Embark but they have discontinued updates. Looking for something that ideally includes details on transit irrops.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've used citymapper before and it did the job!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I use a combination of three - Google Maps for just general timing and routing, Apple Maps if I'm unfamiliar with where the station entrances and exits are (note: Embark was acquired by Apple and this is the fruit of their recent labor), and Exit Strategy, which not only shows where the station entrances and exits are (but are buried in the local maps section for each station) but where to stand on the platform for optimal exit. Exit Strategy also has the standard MTA map.

For weekend service changes I still use the downloadable PDF map at subwayweekender.wordpress.com because I find it much easier to understand than any of the alternatives.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also have a look at the previous suggestions here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-stations.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ggestions.html
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:09 pm

Apple are such jerks for buying up Embark and Hopstop and killing the standalone apps.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I like Exit Strategy, very handy for knowing which exit to look for to get to the right direction and side of the street.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:30 pm

I always start out planning with Google or Apple maps, simply because the subway apps don't cover buses and you'd be surprised how many times taking the bus will save you time and walking. This is especially true going crosstown.

Google Maps is usually better with times/frequencies and IRROPS but the entrance/exit locations in Apple Maps is pretty critical if you're going somewhere new.

If I know I have to take the subway from one station to another, CityMapper works pretty well.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:58 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I use Google Maps for route planning, and Transit App for live bus/train times. Transit App is particularly nice IMO because it works in many, many cities around the world so you don't have to have a phone full of city-specific apps.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
I use Google Maps for route planning, and Transit App for live bus/train times. Transit App is particularly nice IMO because it works in many, many cities around the world so you don't have to have a phone full of city-specific apps.
MTA finally has their own standalone bus time app (it used to be just mobile web).

Google Maps, NYC Bus app and Exit Strategy are my go-to's (the last is unnecessary for tourists though).
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
MTA finally has their own standalone bus time app (it used to be just mobile web).

Google Maps, NYC Bus app and Exit Strategy are my go-to's (the last is unnecessary for tourists though).
I use Google Maps and MTA Bus Time App.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:54 pm

The official BusTime app is great if you have a couple of "favorite" bus stops that you want to save for quick reference, but otherwise I find it takes way too many steps to get any useful information.

When I'm out and about my preferred bus app is BusBus NYC. The app opens directly into a simple map that shows all the buses in an area at once. It may be iOS only, though.

There are also some simple standalone apps that have the subway and bus maps. There's a subway map called KickMap Lite that I find easier to read than the official subway map.
Old May 20, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Do you guys know of any transit apps which show (with maybe the little blue handicap icon?) the stations that have elevators?

I went through MTA's list of accessible stations and plotted the Manhattan stations on my Google Map, but they've really cluttered my trip map.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
From a viewpoint of a non-NYCer who visits regularly, I often find the MTA's own Weekender app is useful for more than just weekend service diversions. The schematic map in the main home screen does indicate which stations are accessible, but when you tap on a station, you can also pull up neighborhood maps which shows the local streets and where the different entrances are to each station. The locations of elevators are marked, although not always the easiest to read on a phone (I wish you could zoom in closer sometimes).

http://web.mta.info/apps/weekenderApp.html
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by octr202
From a viewpoint of a non-NYCer who visits regularly, I often find the MTA's own Weekender app is useful for more than just weekend service diversions. The schematic map in the main home screen does indicate which stations are accessible, but when you tap on a station, you can also pull up neighborhood maps which shows the local streets and where the different entrances are to each station. The locations of elevators are marked, although not always the easiest to read on a phone (I wish you could zoom in closer sometimes).

http://web.mta.info/apps/weekenderApp.html

how do I go from the JFK airport to the Manhattan? Any affordable options?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by kalkeat
how do I go from the JFK airport to the Manhattan? Any affordable options?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, kalkeat! When is your visit? Please see our wiki post, which is linked from the sticky at the top of the forum alongside other useful info:

http://flyerguide.com/index.php/NYC_...sportation_FAQ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.