Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Minimum Connection Time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

JFK Minimum Connection Time

Hi Folks
I booked a return flight Snn to RSW with Aer Lingus, code shared with Jet Blue, in June 2015.
I knew it was a tight connection, but have done this trip yearly, sometimes more often, never had a delayed flight. Now that the connection time is even shorter I am beginning to fret a bit.

The return leg is 14 Nov 2015
B61630, RSW to JFK Dept RSW at 15:00 - Arv JFK at 17:44
EI0110, JFK to Snn Dept JFK at 18:40 - Arv SNN at 06:00

I received a "Your up-coming trip" email from Aer Lingus on 10 Oct 2015.

I did not notice at first, nor was it the intention of the email to alert me to the schedule change.

So now the return schedule is

B61630, RSW to JFK Dept RSW at 15:15 - Arv JFK at 18:00
EI0110, JFK to Snn Dept JFK at 18:30 - Arv SNN at 06:00

This means my connection time is now 40 minutes in Terminal C.
Both flights are Terminal 5. I have looked at the Terminal C map and it does look doable. the 40 minutes is within the MCT for JFK Terminal 5.

Anyone doe this tight a transfer in Terminal C. If it goes wrong, am I entitiled to hotel room until next day's flight.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What is the "Terminal C" you are referring to? There are no lettered terminals at JFK. And your connection will be wholly within T5.

There's a typo in your post - the EI flight leaves JFK at 18:40, not 18:30 - and that leaves 40 minutes for the connection. Not ideal but it meets the MCT. If the inbound is late for weather reasons then you're not owed a hotel, though I wonder how EU 261 rules would come into play as part of the trip is on an EU carrier.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by nconroy
snip
nconroy

Welcome (back) to FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the New York City forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If the inbound is late for weather reasons then you're not owed a hotel, though I wonder how EU 261 rules would come into play as part of the trip is on an EU carrier."

Maybe not owed a hotel by B6, but possibly owed a hotel by the credit-card issuer whose card was used to charge the trip, depending on whether the particular card offers trip-delay coverage.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you sbm12, yes Terminal C is a typo. my outward flight is SNN to BOS, that`is where the "Terminal C" came from. Your answer seems to cover my query, tight but doable.
Compensation, as usual, "depends".
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:56 pm

Terminal 5 - JFK

Maybe I'm missing something with all the talk of BOS and Terminal C.

That said, 40 mins is enough time to connect within Terminal 5 (T5) at JFK. It is a very simple connection as all flights arrive and depart behind security and you can easily run between any two gates in 10 mins if not less. As you can see from the map, the terminal isn't that big:
http://www.jetblue.com/travel/jfk/

Obviously a delay could cause a mis-connect so, if that happens, you will have to deal with it.

Aer Lingus has a later flight from JFK to DUB (usually departs at 21:00) so, for all you know, they'd just put you on that following a mis-connect. I know they also interline with several carriers so they probably have other options as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.