Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How To: LGA LaGuardia to Manhattan and Times Square via MTA Subway/Bus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

How To: LGA LaGuardia to Manhattan and Times Square via MTA Subway/Bus

I realize this is already mentioned in some other threads on this site, but it wasn't so easy to find until I knew to search specifically for threads about the Q70 bus. And often information was buried, or out of date, or was more about debating if it was proper to call it an express bus or not, etc. Hopefully this will be a helpful post in how to actually do it, one which comes up readily in web searches.

Airport to Manhattan

1. In the baggage claim area look for signs to MTA Bus / Public Transportation. Before you go outside be sure to purchase an MTA Metro Card from a kiosk. The kiosks are generally near the exit doors to the bus pick up point. Each ride is $2.75 and you have two options -- you can put money on a Metro Card that counts down $2.750with every ride, or buy an unlimited pass for $31 which lasts a week. (Unless you're going to stick very close to Times Square or only use taxis, you may be surprised how quickly you burn $31 in individual subway fares even in a couple of days.)

2. When you have your MTA Metro Card, look for signs directing you out the doors to the MTA bus stop -- specifically the Q70 bus. It is a curbside pickup just outside on the sidewalk. Get on the Q70 bus -- it only goes one way here so there's no danger in getting on one going the wrong way. The bus they use for this run has a couple of places for luggage -- not huge racks like a rental car shuttle but more space than a regular city bus. This particular city bus route (Q70) is a dedicated limited-stop line linking LaGuardia to a pair of transfer stations -- this is not just a routine bus line which happens to stop at the airport along with dozens of other stops.

3. Once the bus leaves the airport it goes nonstop to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt station where several subway lines exist. The bus travels on freeways and then city streets, and it's about 15 minutes with routine traffic. The bus drops you off right at the door to enter the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt subway station.

4. You will need to swipe your MTA card again to enter the subway. At this station you can get E, F, M, R and 7 lines, and signs will guide you to the line you need. Depending on where you are going different lines may get you the closest. To get to Times Square / 42nd Street the E train is a good bet. Make sure you board E toward Manhattan and not the other direction -- just look at the signs to make sure you're on the correct side.

5. E has a couple of stops in Queens and then you're in Manhattan. There are a handful of stops in Manhattan before you get to 42nd Street / Times Square stop.

Manhattan to LaGuardia

Essentially it's the reverse. E, F, M, R and 7 all get you to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt station, so take whatever line is closest to you. If you're leaving from Times Square / 42nd Street take E, and make sure you go the right direction -- you want Uptown/Queens. Whatever you take, get off at the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt station. Look for signs to the Q70 bus -- I think most of them even say LGA and have the airport symbol. The pickup for the M70 bus is right outside the doors of the subway station at the curb. When you get to LaGuardia the bus will stop at the different terminals. If you are unsure ask the driver.

Note that the Marine Air Terminal (aka Terminal A) is not on the Q70 line. This terminal is specifically used for a couple of Delta cities only -- I think only the Delta Shuttle to Chicago and Washington DCA uses this, with all other Delta and Delta Connection flights to every other city using the main terminal.

We did this just today and it was 45 minutes from the time the bus left LaGuardia until the subway let us off at Times Square / 42nd Street. You can often do it 10+ minutes faster with a taxi if traffic cooperates, but if traffic is bad this can be much faster. And a taxicab with tip can easily be $35-$70 depending on exactly where you're going and how bad traffic is. My worst from LGA to Times Square in bad traffic was 90 minutes and $75 with tip, but that's out of the ordinary. $45-$50 isn't uncommon, though.

In my personal opinion this is a safe, reliable and cheap way between LGA and the city which is no more difficult or scary than using the subway in Manhattan.

Last edited by knope2001; Oct 15, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You might want to have a look at the flyerguide wiki and think about what changes you might want to make or recommend be made to it.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...9_to_Manhattan
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If one uses the #7 to get from TS to LGA, if you take an EXPRESS (3 pm-9:30 pm, M-F) it will not stop at 74th St. Probably the best bet is take any #7 train to 61st Woodside and then the Q70.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
This is interesting, but should be noted there is more than one way to get to the airport. Options should be included, especially in the case of a service disruption or service change.

Other ONE connection options to LGA from Times Square.
  • N/Q train to Astoria Blvd. with Connection to M60 bus
  • 2/3 Train to 125 Street with connection to M60 bus

Also, I would edit
Note that the Marine Air Terminal (aka Terminal A) is not on the Q70 line. This terminal is rarely used -- I think only the Delta Shuttle to Boston and Washington DCA uses this (*not* Delta Connection or Delta to other cities.)
The terminal is heavily used by Delta Shuttle flights. Might I suggest edit, "This terminal is used only for Delta Shuttle flights between LGA to BOS, ORD and DCA. All other Delta flights leave from Terminals C or D."
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by knope2001
To get to Times Square / 42nd Street the E train is a good bet.
The E train is a good bet if you're going to 8th Avenue and 42nd St. If you're going to Times Square, the 7 and the R trains take you right there.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
If one uses the #7 to get from TS to LGA, if you take an EXPRESS (3 pm-9:30 pm, M-F) it will not stop at 74th St. Probably the best bet is take any #7 train to 61st Woodside and then the Q70.
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know if a #7 is express or local?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by michael_v
Originally Posted by nrr
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know if a #7 is express or local?
Lighted signs on the exterior and interior of each car should so indicate. If the number 7 is inside a diamond shape, the train is an express; if the number 7 is inside a circle, the train is a local. The conductor should also make an announcement. And if the first stop after Queensboro Plaza is 33rd Street, then you're on a local.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Lighted signs on the exterior and interior of each car should so indicate. If the number 7 is inside a diamond shape, the train is an express; if the number 7 is inside a circle, the train is a local. The conductor should also make an announcement. And if the first stop after Queensboro Plaza is 33rd Street, then you're on a local.
This the most critical item, listen continuously, since routings can change.
[This past Sunday I was riding on the E to Queens, the signs showed that it was going to be local in Queens, the conductor also noted this--but when we got to Queens Plaza, the conductor announced that it was now running express. MTA at work.]
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up M60+ to LGA

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
... Options should be included, especially in the case of a service disruption or service change...
I use the M60 regularly for LGA as it's regularly, even at rush hour, just 45mns from 42/TS to LGA T3's door over 4 years' of regular use. M60+ (the "+" means SBS which is bus rapid transit) starts next month which'll make the journey even better. Read more here.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I use the M60 regularly for LGA as it's regularly, even at rush hour, just 45mns from 42/TS to LGA T3's door over 4 years' of regular use. M60+ (the "+" means SBS which is bus rapid transit) starts next month which'll make the journey even better. Read more here.
Actually, for Times Square the Q70 is a no-brainer. You've got a bunch of trains to choose from at Jackson Heights, some of which are express. And you minimize your time in street traffic, which is where the M60 can really lag.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The M60 has now been converted into Select Bus Service; it still stops at the N train stop at Astoria Boulevard and at LGA and is now faster since you have to pay before you board. You just insert your MetroCard or coins at a machine at the stop, which prints out a receipt that you keep with you until you exit the bus. There are also fewer stops. This is a big improvement.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/sbs/M60LaGu...index.html#M60
Old May 27, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Also, I would edit

The terminal is heavily used by Delta Shuttle flights. Might I suggest edit, "This terminal is used only for Delta Shuttle flights between LGA to BOS, ORD and DCA. All other Delta flights leave from Terminals C or D."
It was amazing the number of people who were on the Q47 and needed to get to Terminal C and D. There is a Route A bus and Delta also runs a shuttle between MAT and C and D.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The M60 has now been converted into Select Bus Service; it still stops at the N train stop at Astoria Boulevard and at LGA and is now faster since you have to pay before you board. You just insert your MetroCard or coins at a machine at the stop, which prints out a receipt that you keep with you until you exit the bus. There are also fewer stops. This is a big improvement.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/sbs/M60LaGu...index.html#M60
Nice, though I don't think it was ever that bad if the buses came frequently enough. They didn't usually make all the stops in Queens anyway. But last time I took it to LGA a few months ago, I literally waited 25 minutes for a bus (mid-morning IIRC) and it was packed by Madison and took forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.