Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

A $85 flat rate from Westin Times Sq to EWR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

I am in a cab going to EWR. The driver mentioned the rate is $85. I couldn't find this information on the internet.

Anyone with the knowledge?
Old May 24, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...cab_rate.shtml

For a trip to Newark Airport the fare is:

the amount shown on the taximeter using Rate Code 3 which includes a surcharge of $17.50; and all necessary tolls to and from the destination shall be paid by the passenger.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-t...n-service.html

Sample Fares from Newark Liberty International Airport:
To New York City/Manhattan
Battery - W 23rd St.
W 24th St. - W 58th St.
W 59th St. - W 96th St.
W 97th St. - W 185th St.
Above W 185th St.
$50
$55
$60
$65
$70
Old May 24, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
I got in from the hotel directly. It is a regular cab.

Maybe there are hotel specific rates if you choose a cab waiting in the hotel cab line, not cabs hailed from the streets?
Old May 24, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
I got in from the hotel directly. It is a regular cab.

Maybe there are hotel specific rates if you choose a cab waiting in the hotel cab line, not cabs hailed from the streets?
I don't know what you mean by a "regular cab." If it is a NYC medallion yellow cab, the rate to EWR is as noted by swag. Period.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If it's a NYC cab, they have to use their meter unless you're traveling in either direction between JFK and Manhattan.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Blumie
If it's a NYC cab, they have to use their meter unless you're traveling in either direction between JFK and Manhattan.
"Trips Beyond the City

For a trip beyond the limits of New York City, except Westchester or Nassau Counties, or Newark Airport, the fare shall be a flat rate (a flat rate is a definite amount fixed between the driver and the passenger at the start of the trip). This flat rate shall be negotiated prior to the trip and entered into the meter via the technology enhancements or TPEP system (when available) using Rate Code 5."

If the OP were traveling to a hotel near -- but not on the grounds of -- Newark Airport, then the cabbie would be entitled to negotiate a flat rate with the passenger at the start of the trip.

Trips between Manhattan and JFK are supposed to use the meter set at Rate Code 2, which will display the special flat rate for that route.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I travelled from the hotel lobby directly to the EWR terminal C. The bellhop mentioned some flat rates, and the driver asked me it is $85 flat, ok?

I understand it is flat to JFK, and very possibly the meter should be used to go to EWR. But I needed to reach EWR on time, and didn't care too much about being overcharged for $15. However, I do wanna know the exact rules.

I think it is very possible that I was tricked. But, it is also possible that if you get the cab by talking to the doorman of the hotel and they blow the whistle to get a cab from the hotel waiting lane, there could be special fares, which may contradicts the government rules of no flat rate to EWR.

That's why I want some opinions from you guys~

Yes I think it is a regular NYC yellow cab with signs and everything. The credit card transaction says Manhattan Checker.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travelled from the hotel lobby directly to the EWR terminal C. The bellhop mentioned some flat rates, and the driver asked me it is $85 flat, ok?

I understand it is flat to JFK, and very possibly the meter should be used to go to EWR. But I needed to reach EWR on time, and didn't care too much about being overcharged for $15. However, I do wanna know the exact rules.

I think it is very possible that I was tricked. But, it is also possible that if you get the cab by talking to the doorman of the hotel and they blow the whistle to get a cab from the hotel waiting lane, there could be special fares, which may contradicts the government rules of no flat rate to EWR.

Yes I think it is a regular NYC yellow cab with signs and everything. The credit card transaction says Manhattan Checker.
If it's a yellow cab from Manhattan to EWR Airport, the driver must use the meter set to the special rate code for trips to EWR Airport. It does not matter who procured the cab for you: there are no exceptions.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you happen to notice whether any money changed hands between the taxi driver and the hotel doorman?
Old May 24, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

You got taken by the cabbie and almost certainly the doorman, too, who probably received a kickback from the cabbie. If you have a receipt, a complaint lodged with the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission may very well result in a rebate to you. You also should consider complaining to the hotel. Or, if you don't care, you could choose to do neither.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There used to be stories of the doormen at the Grand Hyatt at GCT pulling this stunt but (for some unknown reason) on the 42nd street door only. I guess this thread just proves that a good scam never dies.
Old May 24, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP paid with a CC. Simply dispute the difference between the EWR rate and $85, citing the rules above. It's a cost of doing business to the taxi company. Out-of-towners get suckered every day. But, the taxi company won't even bother to pull together the paperwork to respond to the dispute.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
As native NY's - we would almost never taxi to EWR, but lately I've read on the cruise forums of about $100 for a one-way trip from Manhattan as typical. When not using mass transit, pre-booked car service to the airport or pier (Dial7 or Carmel - would get our $$) is the preferred way to go. A clean & comfortable sedan ride would run about $55 without discount + tolls for the NJ Turnpike, and a 20% tip or $12 - for a total of about $70, cash or CC, receipt given.

Searched for TLC's Rate Code 3 rate tables but failed to find it - online taxi fares estimated cost from midtown West/Times Sq. area to be about $55 plus a mandatory $17.50 surcharge - and by law, the passengers paying for all round-trip tolls to/from NJ (as the NY-licensed taxi CANNOT pickup a fare from EWR on her/his return trip to NYC.) Toll is less leaving NY and higher.

While the taxi driver incorrectly quoted a flat rate charge of $85, it's almost "correct", and some drivers do get "lost" going to EWR & making it worst for the FT's. (My fuzzy math = $55 metered fare + $13 cash toll for tunnel trip on the return trip without passenger + $7 cash toll for NJ Turnpike, a total of $75 before tips plus the $17.50 surcharge) It would be lowered by a few dollars if driver was using EZ-Pass.

Car service would not be collecting the surcharge and they would only collect one-way tolls as paid, and it would be on the receipt. Not defending the driver at all as s/he wasn't using the correct formula - but, the total costs for the FT's who needed to get prompty to EWR wasn't exactly a "ripoff" Did I miss anything else ?
Old May 24, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
As native NY's - we would almost never taxi to EWR, but lately I've read on the cruise forums of about $100 for a one-way trip from Manhattan as typical. When not using mass transit, pre-booked car service to the airport or pier (Dial7 or Carmel - would get our $$) is the preferred way to go. A clean & comfortable sedan ride would run about $55 without discount + tolls for the NJ Turnpike, and a 20% tip or $12 - for a total of about $70, cash or CC, receipt given.

Searched for TLC's Rate Code 3 rate tables but failed to find it - online taxi fares estimated cost from midtown West/Times Sq. area to be about $55 plus a mandatory $17.50 surcharge - and by law, the passengers paying for all round-trip tolls to/from NJ (as the NY-licensed taxi CANNOT pickup a fare from EWR on her/his return trip to NYC.) Toll is less leaving NY and higher.

While the taxi driver incorrectly quoted a flat rate charge of $85, it's almost "correct", and some drivers do get "lost" going to EWR & making it worst for the FT's. (My fuzzy math = $55 metered fare + $13 cash toll for tunnel trip on the return trip without passenger + $7 cash toll for NJ Turnpike, a total of $75 before tips plus the $17.50 surcharge) It would be lowered by a few dollars if driver was using EZ-Pass.

Car service would not be collecting the surcharge and they would only collect one-way tolls as paid, and it would be on the receipt. Not defending the driver at all as s/he wasn't using the correct formula - but, the total costs for the FT's who needed to get prompty to EWR wasn't exactly a "ripoff" Did I miss anything else ?
"Did I miss anything else ?"

Maybe.

1. The OP did not indicate whether the $85 flat rate he quoted included the tip.

2. It's about 15 miles from the Westin to EWR. Without traffic or traffic-light delays, the taxi meter should ring up $39.50 ($4.50 for the 1st mile + $35.00 for the next 14) + the $17.50 surcharge, or $57 total, plus roundtrip tolls and tip. Medallion taxis are required to use E-Z Pass. Roundtrip tolls would be $13.30: $4.30 for the NJ Turnpike, and $9.00 for the inbound Lincoln Tunnel, if paid by 11:00 AM, when the off-peak toll rate ends. So we're up to ~ $71, before tip.

3. Why would a cabbie risk his hack license if the flat rate being proposed yielded no more than the authorized metered rate?

Last edited by guv1976; May 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Old May 25, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Hey guys. Just landed in Asia.

You guy's replies explain a lot. Totally appreciate that~

My take now is that if the correct formula is used, the fare would be less than $10 cheaper than this flat rate. That is the reason I didn't make a thing out of it in the first place.

Before, I had taken the bus and the NJ transit. The transit one is quite nice which departs from Penn Station. Since the Air Train is being repaired, that was out of the question. The bus is nice and comfort, but they time I took it, the bus broke down on he road and we waited for half an hour to have another bus rescue us...

Plus, I had two large suitcases this time, the largest that won't be considered oversize, each weighing 50... I had no choice.

The flat rate didn't include tips, but the driver did get me to EWR quick and easy, so I tipped him as if it was a NYC cab ride, based on the $85 rate. The total is $100. I do have the receipt in case I need to dispute something.

I wanna say, the reasons I wanna post this incident here is 1) to verify is this the right way, and 2) do the right thing for other travelers if there is something really worth reporting. We wanna single out the bad guys, so the general public will benefit, right? To get maybe $10 back is not my priority.

However, I have the same impression as Letitride3c has, that the total is quite close to the real number, and even if the meter was used correctly, there were chances the driver would "get lost" and made up the difference.

So guys, especially NYC guys, should I do something for this city?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.