Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Is Newark a suburb of New York City? Or is Newark a city with its own identity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Newark a suburb of New York City? Or is Newark a city with its own identity?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Really? Queens is a suburb or which city?
Newark, obviously
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CMK10
Newark, obviously
Post of the day! ^
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

I found an article on NorthJersey.com that talks about the drawing power of country music in the Tri-State area.

Check it out:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_ente...adowlands.html

Near the bottom of the article, it talks about Taylor Swift's four sold-out concerts at the Prudential Center. The article states that "...there's room for a little twang in the shadow of the Big Apple".

See? The MSM does have the habit of referring to Newark as a city "situated in NYC's shadow".
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The more I think about this, the more I think this thread should be moved to the Mid-Atlantic forum. Those folks have nothing to read.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho-79

See? The MSM does have the habit of referring to Newark as a city "situated in NYC's shadow".
Exactly. It's not a suburb. It's a city. The best thing you can say about Newark is to elevate it as being in the shadow of New York. Keen marketing.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:11 pm

I wouldn’t count the State of NJ a suburb because it’s a different state and all that but Long Island and west Chester are definitely suburbs of NYC. New Jersey has Jersey city and Newark two different cities from NYC but they are really similar the only difference is New Jersey’s cities are wayyy more dangerous it’s like It’s still in the dark and dangerous 80s era as NYC got safe. I used to go visit family in Newark back in 79 and all you see is These Rundown Giant Projects which don’t exist anymore. NYC still has there projects but New Jersey torn all theirs down now they have Low Rises or 3 story Projects there not as bad as before but there still pretty dangerous. Point Blank is NJ is their own thing there’s no way there a suburb cause even more down in Central Jersey it’s City-Like not Suburban at all
Old May 12, 2021, 1:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this thread is 9 years old, we'll close it and let it settle back into the dust.
/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.