Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Is Newark a suburb of New York City? Or is Newark a city with its own identity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Newark a suburb of New York City? Or is Newark a city with its own identity?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kwildnj
As I explained before, there is a difference between a city and urban, just as there is a difference between a suburb and suburban.
Sorry I missed it if you'd explained it before. So we agree that Newark is "urban"?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I just went over to NJ.com, and someone posted the following:

Giants Stadium as it always will be referred to here (Met Life) is literally in the shadows. Its only a short distance from the tunnel or quick train. Nassau Coliseum is hardly 'in the shadows' of Manhattan but is referred that way because of its proximity to Queens which is a NYC boro but its not that close to Manhattan.

Newark is about 20 minutes via train, car. You need to cross over a huge river in the Hudson and cross over the Newark Bay. There are 2 cities one comparable in size to Newark to go through before you get to Newark, Jersey City has a bout 240,000 and Bayonne about 85,000 compared to Newark 270,000. So yes as a crows flight you can consider them close and in the shadow but they are drastically different. Two different states two different cities and two different identities.
So the Meadowlands is considered "in NYC's shadow" because it's closer to Manhattan than Newark is?

Meanwhile, Newark is farther away from Manhattan and has its own distinction as a city?

Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
I just went over to NJ.com, and someone posted the following:

So the Meadowlands is considered "in NYC's shadow" because it's closer to Manhattan than Newark is?

Meanwhile, Newark is farther away from Manhattan and has its own distinction as a city?

Newark is a city. What's so difficult to understand? Whether it's within 15 minutes from Manhattan or not by train, it's still a city. It's not a suburb.

The Meadowlands is a sports complex located about equidistant between Newark and NYC. Do you think that the Meadowlands is its own city? You would be wrong; it's in the town of East Rutherford.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:08 am
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I think the term shadows is confusing to some as from Giants stadium, from my town which is 13 miles west from Manhattan and even some highway angles from EWR - you can see the Manhattan skyline on a clear day. The interpretation of shadow may be you can see Manhattan.

However, Jersey City and Hoboken are directly across the Hudson from Manhattan (so you might say shadows/backyard/long swim/ferry or 6 minute subway ride away) but it like Newark with its own city and local government, tax base, schools, etc. in a different state and operate entirely independent of New York City or NY State (excluding PANYNJ agency).

A good comparison would be Detroit, MI & Windsor, Canada very close and part of the same metropolitan area but VERY VERY different.

As Analise has stated - don't get confused by distance or proximity - it is a city and separate of NYC except for easy accessibility (highway & public transportation).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL

However, Jersey City and Hoboken are directly across the Hudson from Manhattan (so you might say shadows/backyard/long swim/ferry or 6 minute subway ride away) but it like Newark with its own city and local government, tax base, schools, etc. in a different state and operate entirely independent of New York City or NY State (excluding PANYNJ agency).
That's right. These two cities are directly across the Hudson from New York. No matter that they are merely across the river from New York, they are not suburban towns; they are each cities as is Newark, NJ.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
20 posts + this one on Newark? So not worth it.
Newark, along with Camden (was/is) the armpit of New Jersey.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I think the term shadows is confusing to some as from Giants stadium, from my town which is 13 miles west from Manhattan and even some highway angles from EWR - you can see the Manhattan skyline on a clear day. The interpretation of shadow may be you can see Manhattan.

A good comparison would be Detroit, MI & Windsor, Canada very close and part of the same metropolitan area but VERY VERY different.

As Analise has stated - don't get confused by distance or proximity - it is a city and separate of NYC except for easy accessibility (highway & public transportation).
Originally Posted by Analise
That's right. These two cities are directly across the Hudson from New York. No matter that they are merely across the river from New York, they are not suburban towns; they are each cities as is Newark, NJ.
Originally, I thought Newark is an "urban suburb" of NYC. By this I mean that many people commute from Newark (or through Newark) to NYC on to go to work. I figured that in terms of business, Newark isn't standing on its own due to the economic influence from across the Hudson.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally, I thought Newark is an "urban suburb" of NYC. By this I mean that many people commute from Newark (or through Newark) to NYC on to go to work. I figured that in terms of business, Newark isn't standing on its own due to the economic influence from across the Hudson.
People can live in one city while work in another. It doesn't matter if they live in Hoboken, Newark, or Jersey City. Those are still cities regardless of where people work. Many Baltimoreans work in DC; this doesn't mean that the city of Baltimore is a suburb of Washington.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
20 posts + this one on Newark? So not worth it.
It's an interesting place, if you've ever spent any time there.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I would differentiate Newark positively versus Camden or Trenton in a few factors:

Newark has the biggest cherry blossom in the US (beating DC)
Ironbound is great for food/culture
Newark does have a diversity of cultures of people (not saying all great but it exist unlike the other two)
Newark has sports franchise (Devils & Nets {until next year})
Performing Arts Center

All of above can be accomplished without compromising safety.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Just one last (random) question, guys.

Can the Manhattan skyline at least be seen from the Prudential Center in Newark?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Just one last (random) question, guys.

Can the Manhattan skyline at least be seen from the Prudential Center in Newark?
From ground level, no, perhaps from the roof, however.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I can't believe two pages have been spent on a question that seems to be premised on a misunderstanding of a definition. http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/suburb

Here's a link to a website called City of Newark, New Jersey. http://www.ci.newark.nj.us/

OP, why don't you send your question to Mayor Booker and the City Council and see what response you get?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I can't believe two pages have been spent on a question that seems to be premised on a misunderstanding of a definition. http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/suburb
SUBURB:a town or other area where people live in houses near a larger city

That is, in my opinion, an absolutely awful definition of the word. One does not need to live house to be in a suburb. Also, "a town or other area" is an incredibly vague statement.

By that very definition, Queens, a borough of the City of New York is indeed a suburb, or even yes, Newark and Jersey City are both Suburbs, because they are "other areas" near a larger city, where people live in houses.

Last edited by dstan; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reason: repaired broken quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Originally Posted by Landing Gear

That is, in my opinion, an absolutely awful definition of the word. One does not need to live house to be in a suburb. Also, "a town or other area" is an incredibly vague statement.

By that very definition, Queens, a borough of the City of New York is indeed a suburb, or even yes, Newark and Jersey City are both Suburbs, because they are "other areas" near a larger city, where people live in houses.
Really? Queens is a suburb or which city?

Last edited by dstan; Apr 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reason: repaired broken quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.