Labor Day Travel Time -- Orient Point to LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

I will be up in New London, CT over Labor Day weekend for a wedding. The plan is to take the ferry down to Orient Point on Monday morning and visit some wineries.

As we will be flying back from LGA that evening (7pm flight), how much time should we allow for the drive from the North Fork to LGA on Labor Day afternoon?

My thought was to leave around 3pm... but thought others would have more experience and ideas.

Greg
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Without traffic, it's about two hours. With traffic, that easily can be a three to four hour ride.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by Blumie
Without traffic, it's about two hours. With traffic, that easily can be a three to four hour ride.
Agreed there could be quite a difference. My question is -- on Labor Day -- what are we most likely to encounter? Would leaving Orient Point at 3pm be asking for trouble to make a 7pm flight out of LGA?

Greg
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GregL
Agreed there could be quite a difference. My question is -- on Labor Day -- what are we most likely to encounter? Would leaving Orient Point at 3pm be asking for trouble to make a 7pm flight out of LGA?

Greg
I think it could be asking for trouble. A great majority consider Labor Day weekend as the last "summer" weekend because their summer rentals or summer shares have ended or because school starts afterwards. September is actually the best month at the beach because the crowds are gone.

That said, I would allow at least 3 hours to get to LGA.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:47 pm

I agree, and I'm a local. You and everyone else will be leaving the east end to try and get back into NYC Monday night. But you won't actually be leaving Orient at 3p, will you? The wineries are a good bit further west than Orient (as is everything ) so you'd be a bit closer to the LIE, correct?

Having said that, the road from Orient west can be a lot of one lane, locals (who don't like that you out-of towners are invading AGAIN, and they make sure to go 20 mph just to drive the point home), so that can be very frustrating if you are in a time crunch. Better to allow more time than you feel you need.

And I personally like Palmer Vineyards and Raphael

Have fun.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
I think it could be asking for trouble. A great majority consider Labor Day weekend as the last "summer" weekend because their summer rentals or summer shares have ended or because school starts afterwards. September is actually the best month at the beach because the crowds are gone.

That said, I would allow at least 3 hours to get to LGA.
+1^ at least 3 hours....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.