Search

The Metropolitan Museum of Art raises ticket price to $25

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

The Metropolitan Museum of Art raises ticket price to $25

Starting July 1.

But remember their small print. It is a SUGGESTED DONATION. They get a boatload of tax dollars. You can continue to pay whatever you like.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...tZOZr5bt3sRwyN
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
This actually makes me feel better about my $1 donation. They can make it up on the tourists.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:21 pm

Most tourists will pay because they think its mandatory. "suggested donation" is not very well understood outside of NYC.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 3x a year, I will swing by the Met, meet up with friends who are visiting, whether to help them around the place, meet on the roof or whatever the dining places are... This on top of my normal visits.

The flexible cost of the Met means I spend 2x-3x more there than I would if they had a fixed admission cost the way the MOMA does (MOMA gets 1-2 visits/year).
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Most tourists will pay because they think its mandatory. "suggested donation" is not very well understood outside of NYC.
The word "suggested" is in very small print so I'm guessing the tourists don't pay attention.

Originally Posted by marklyon
This actually makes me feel better about my $1 donation. They can make it up on the tourists.
Why feel bad in the first place? If you wanted to pay more, you would have done so.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Starting July 1.

But remember their small print. It is a SUGGESTED DONATION. They get a boatload of tax dollars. You can continue to pay whatever you like.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...tZOZr5bt3sRwyN
Is that the same article where they claimed it costs the museum $40 every time they let someone in?

What a bunch of hooey!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Is that the same article where they claimed it costs the museum $40 every time they let someone in?

What a bunch of hooey!
The article referred to an average cost per visitor of $40. This appears to be their annual operating expenses (around $200MM) divided by the number of visitors (around 5MM).

http://www.metmuseum.org/about/pdf/a...port/CFO10.pdf

The marginal cost per visitor, of course, is not $40, but I'm not sure if that's what you were implying by "every time they let someone in".
Old Jun 6, 2011, 12:43 pm

They should be better fundraisers - Wall Street is awash in $.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The Met does bring in significant dollars from donors, possibly more than from admissions, even at 5M x $25 each for those who choose to pay.

It's admirable that any museum can generate this kind of paid admission volume. Many museums only fund a small portion of their programs through admissions.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The "internet" membership fee is still $70/yr (all communications are via emails), but admission is free. So 3 visits (or more) would make this type of membership the better "deal". [Plus there is some tax deduction.]
Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:32 pm

So as every visitor costs them 40$, I suggest that no one does hurt them anymore and simply refrains from visiting, thus massively reducing their deficit. Hurray ^
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear

What a bunch of hooey!
Yes, the Museum's CEO (never knew non-profit museums had CEOs but the Met seems to know how to print money hence the need for a CEO ) was quoted in this article as saying just that.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I will be reducing my "suggested doantion" from $5.00 to $1.00 on the 4-5 times a year I visit.

I used to give them $1.00 after they turned down millions from Walter Annenberg years ago for a gallery that had too many "strings attached". If they didn't need his money, they didn't need mine. In the past few years I felt more generous towards them.

Their stores used to lose so much money for years, they finally got rid of the guy who ran them and closed some locations.

The Met has so much stored that will never see the light of day that they could sell a few pieces and cover their operating budget.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by havetoshop
I used to give them $1.00 after they turned down millions from Walter Annenberg years ago for a gallery that had too many "strings attached".
So you're saying that both of your monies come with some baggage. I guess that's one thing you have in common!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by erik123
They should be better fundraisers - Wall Street is awash in $.
Google "Costume Institute."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.