Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Metropolitan Museum of Art raises ticket price to $25

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The Met has enormous revenue potential by turning its fashion designer-focused exhibitions into couture show rooms to rival Barneys. Just imagine how much money it can make by hawking frocks from past seasons from the house of McQueen

Seriously, museums are turning more and more into places of worship for consumerism. Here in San Francisco, there are advertisements all over the city for the exhibition at the de Young Museum, "Balenciaga and Spain".

What's next? An exhibition on Christian Louboutin and the men who lick them?
Or perhaps an exhibition on the life of Louis Vuitton, no doubt "made possible by a generous grant from Bernard Arnault."
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by francophile
Or perhaps an exhibition on the life of Louis Vuitton, no doubt "made possible by a generous grant from Bernard Arnault."
That one already exists

http://german.china.org.cn/culture/t...t_22700298.htm
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by havetoshop
I will be reducing my "suggested doantion" from $5.00 to $1.00 on the 4-5 times a year I visit.

I used to give them $1.00 after they turned down millions from Walter Annenberg years ago for a gallery that had too many "strings attached". If they didn't need his money, they didn't need mine. In the past few years I felt more generous towards them.
What were the strings? I went to google but couldn't find info of the Met refusing an Annenberg gift. The Annenbergs already have given a fortune for the Impressionist and Post Impressionist galleries so I'm wondering what the "strings" were that the Met refused THEIR additional gift.

The Met has so much stored that will never see the light of day that they could sell a few pieces and cover their operating budget.
That's always been aggravating as a museum goer. Where is the rotation of works for people to SEE the gifts bestowed on the museum?

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Google "Costume Institute."
Yup, the Met can print money.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:00 pm

You can check their 2009 990 and see how they earned/spent it.
http://207.153.189.83/EINS/131624086...9_06D19E99.PDF
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
This was part of the whole situation:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cOM...page&q&f=false

It was a long time ago!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by havetoshop
This was part of the whole situation:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cOM...page&q&f=false

It was a long time ago!
Thank you for that link. So this was in the 70s. I'm still reading it. So far, I can see why the Met turned down the $20 million. They'd lose in the deal.

So was this when Annenberg put his millions into the National Gallery instead?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If I may quote The Onion:

Remember: "Suggested donation" means waltz in free, even if you are loaded.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Analise
Thank you for that link. So this was in the 70s. I'm still reading it. So far, I can see why the Met turned down the $20 million. They'd lose in the deal.

So was this when Annenberg put his millions into the National Gallery instead?
Annenberg gave a lot of money to a lot of good causes. I have no idea what the building with his name on it at Mount Sinai cost, but I'm sure it was a lot of money.

I know nothing about the controversy referenced in the New York Magazine article below but in general, there's a lot to criticize about the Met and its management.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Just for perspective, the National Aquarium in Baltimore Inner Harbor also has a $25 admission fee.........

So, same price for live Dolphins in glass tanks or DWEMs in gilded frames!

[DWEMs =Dead White European Males.....apologies for archaic lit-crit jargon]
Old Jun 15, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peersteve
Just for perspective, the National Aquarium in Baltimore Inner Harbor also has a $25 admission fee.........

There is PLENTY of Dead Black African Male & Dead Asian Male art at the Met. I guess you write off those works of art when you visit? Didn't want to mention the works of art created by women of many races and nationalities either?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Originally Posted by peersteve

Originally Posted by Analise
There is PLENTY of Dead Black African Male & Dead Asian Male art at the Met. I guess you write off those works of art when you visit? Didn't want to mention the works of art created by women of many races and nationalities either?

Ohhhhhhhhh......ummmmmmm..... the use of the radical-chic academic acronym "DWEM" was meant to signal a funny observation, along with "glass tanks" vs. "gilded frames" for some semi-alliterative humor. Maybe the addition of an appropriate emoticon would have helped.

But it's a fair point that museums have their own areas of emphasis. Looking at the Met's list of curatorial departments..... there's just 1 for all of "Africa, Oceania and the Americas" and 1 for everything "Asian"..... while the emphasis on Europe is shown by 6 separate departments.

Recalling my last visit to the Met, it was a longgggggg walk to find a painting that was non-DWEM. That might be an interesting measurement for many major American museums -- how many steps from the front door until you see permanent collection art from beyond Europe or its "Second World" colonies, which was not plundered, uh, originally collected by an European?

To say "I guess you write off those works of art" which are Non-DWEM really hurts a guy whose art bookshelf holds the exhibition guide from the first showing of Judy Chicago's "Dinner Party" when it had the original limited-time display at the Brooklyn Museum of Art back in November, 1980.

Last edited by dstan; Jun 20, 2011 at 10:12 am Reason: reformatted first quote to FT coding for clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.