Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
You know, that is perfectly true... to get people from T3 over to the DL departures from T4 of the sort littlesheep is catching.

Further, I shamefacedly report that I nearly missed my DL flight last week, hiking back to the far reaches of T3 in search of "B28" when my flight left from plain old 28, over in T2. Backtracked and made it just in time. That rat's nest drives me crazy.
I think gate 29 in T2 is also an inter-terminal shuttle gate. Anyway I usually enter in T2 and take it from there but the gate numbering can be confusing considering gate 1 is in T3 and gate 29 is in T2 and then you have all the B gates in T4.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:47 pm

Ams <--> jfk <--> rdu

I engineered myself a long layover in AMS on my way back from Russia this year, and now find myself trying to figure out what to do in order to get from NYC back to RDU.

My flight from AMS is scheduled to arrive at 7:55pm (DL/KLM) to Terminal 4, and the last DL flight from JFK back to RDU is at 9:00pm. On one hand, I can just recheck my bag after customs, but with only an hour... I don't think its a "legal" connection.

I do see a JetBlue flight at 10:05pm, which would mean a hop from T4 to T5, as the last flight out of the day (other than a $500 AA one). Am I crazy to try this? Looking at flight history the AMS / JFK flight seems to be early coming in.

Is 2 hours enough for customs, moving terminals and security? Or should I just spend another day in NYC and extend my trip?

Thoughts?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is quite unlikely that it will take the full 2 hours, less so if you are a US citizen. But there is a risk there. Also keep in mind that you don't really have 2 hours as you have to get your bags over to T5 and checked in with JetBlue 30 minutes prior to departure, I believe.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
How do I transfer from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5? Also, if bags are being checked through (LY/B6 interline,) arriving from TLV, flying to LAX, do I need to claim the bags, and if so, where do I re-drop them?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How do I transfer from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5? Also, if bags are being checked through (LY/B6 interline,) arriving from TLV, flying to LAX, do I need to claim the bags, and if so, where do I re-drop them?
You would take a "Jamaica" or "Howard Beach" AirTrain one stop to Terminal 5.

You will have to claim your checked bags and submit to customs inspection upon arrival from TLV. I believe there is a re-check desk for JetBlue just past Customs in Terminal 4, as some of JetBlue's own international flights arrive at Terminal 4.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You would take a "Jamaica" or "Howard Beach" AirTrain one stop to Terminal 5.

You will have to claim your checked bags and submit to customs inspection upon arrival from TLV. I believe there is a re-check desk for JetBlue just past Customs in Terminal 4, as some of JetBlue's own international flights arrive at Terminal 4.
I mean, the regular international arrival in the US I'm familiar with.

So I'd drop the bags off just after clearing customs, and then follow signs to AirTrain? Is there one AirTrain stop there, with both trains? (Sorry, but I'm very NOT familiar with JFK, as I avoid it usually, being from NJ)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is only one AirTrain stop per terminal.

There are three AirTrain routes: Jamaica, Howard Beach, and All Terminals. Do not take the "All Terminals" AirTrain, as it runs in a clockwise direction and will take longer to get from T4 to T5. The Jamaica or Howard Beach routes will take you from T4 to T5 in two minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

There is only one AirTrain stop per terminal.

There are three AirTrain routes: Jamaica, Howard Beach, and All Terminals. Do not take the "All Terminals" AirTrain, as it runs in a clockwise direction and will take longer to get from T4 to T5. The Jamaica or Howard Beach routes will take you from T4 to T5 in two minutes.
I assume, like in EWR, it's free. Correct?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I assume, like in EWR, it's free. Correct?
For your purposes it is free. If you were using Jamaica or Howard Beach stations to the Subway or LIRR, it would cost you $5.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 14940674
For your purposes it is free. If you were using Jamaica or Howard Beach stations to the Subway or LIRR, it would cost you $5.
So then just like EWR (At least in practicality)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 14940674
So then just like EWR (At least in practicality)
Correct. There is never a charge to ride the AirTrain, at either JFK or EWR. There is only a charge to pass through the fare gates -- in either direction -- at Howard Beach, Jamaica, or the EWR rail station.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Keep in mind that the Airtrain is outside security so time may be an issue depending upon if your flight arrives on time. Take the Airtrain that DOES NOT say Howard Beach or Jamaica. You want the one that just loops around the airport.

Here's a map: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/jfk-airtrain-map.pdf

Here's a terminal map too: http://www.airportterminalmaps.com/J...minal-map.html

Welcome to Flyertalk, ComputerX.
I, for the life of me, cannot understand designing and constructing an Airtrain system that forces in transit people, domestic to international, to exit one terminal to ride it and then to re-enter another terminal. I would imagine that entails going out of one terminal through security and re-entering another terminal again through security. What whiz kid thought this one up? Must have been the same people who engineered and who "run" CDG.

From Terminal 3 to terminal 4 is there the possibility of walking it? Is the walk inside or outside? Do you have to go through security to be able to walk from one terminal to another?

Totally flabbergasted.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same problem at EWR, at least regarding Terminal B. (You have the bus to connect airside between A and C. Though no connection between different piers at A.)

New EWR should have an airside connection between all 3 terminals, and new A should all be accessible past security
Old May 3, 2012, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by floridastorm
I, for the life of me, cannot understand designing and constructing an Airtrain system that forces in transit people, domestic to international, to exit one terminal to ride it and then to re-enter another terminal. I would imagine that entails going out of one terminal through security and re-entering another terminal again through security. What whiz kid thought this one up? Must have been the same people who engineered and who "run" CDG.

From Terminal 3 to terminal 4 is there the possibility of walking it? Is the walk inside or outside? Do you have to go through security to be able to walk from one terminal to another?

Totally flabbergasted.
I get the feeling that costs were the factor. Likely putting a track on top of particularly older terminals would be more expensive than an outside track. Also, the number of people connecting between different airlines and therefore possibly terminals on domestic/domestic or domestic/International is likely fairly small. One of the issues with B6 and AA expanding their code share arrangement in the transfer between T5 and T8. But I agree for those that do its a hassle.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:43 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I get the feeling that costs were the factor. Likely putting a track on top of particularly older terminals would be more expensive than an outside track. Also, the number of people connecting between different airlines and therefore possibly terminals on domestic/domestic or domestic/International is likely fairly small. One of the issues with B6 and AA expanding their code share arrangement in the transfer between T5 and T8. But I agree for those that do its a hassle.
Can one walk, without too much effort, from Terminal 3 to Terminal 4 and thus avoid the security overkill and the waste of time? If so, is the walk inside or outside? Are there any Travelators to move you along? All of us, although older, are in good shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.