Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of October 2018, there are some temporary changes to the M60-SBS service for those taking the N/W NYC Subway service from Astoria Blvd:
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1960975-astoria-blvd-n-w-subway-stop-closed-3-17-209-through-12-2019-m60-lga-impacted.html
Effective 12:01 AM, Monday, Oct 22M60 SBS, Q48, Q70 SBS and Q72 - Bus stop changes at Terminal D in LaGuardia AirportDue to construction:Buses will now make the following stop: LGA Terminal D on LaGuardia Road (Delta Arrivals Rd)The following stop will no longer be served: LGA Terminal D on East End Road
Print Wikipost

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:17 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The JFK Airtrain was paid for via a $3.00 tax/pax added to flights out of JFK, so no "public" funds were used. If the MTA (or other public agencies were involved): (1) just agreeing on stops would have taken years--everyone on the route would have wanted a stop close to where they live., (2) using the 2nd avenue subway (that project was originally proposed in the 20's...) as a guide, the Airtrain would have been finished in 2100.

Re LGA: the bus routes are deceiving (from the map), the Q33 seems so close to LGA (from 74th St.) yet it takes a very indirect route. The Q48 (from Flushing), has long stretches (near Citi Field) where few pax get on or off.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sent
Yes, I know LGA isn't a major international spot. Customer service on the bus still leaves a lot to be desired even when the American tourists are trying to get on the bus.
What is wrong with the bus driver that you say that customer service 'leaves a lot to be desired'? I've seen them be VERY helpful to those both going to LGA and going to the subway who are not from the area. What service do you see is lacking?

I've always gone from LGA to either Times Square or Midtown west and it's almost always a $40 cab ride. That's not cheap when the alternative is $2.25. I guess it is cheaper compared to a cab from JFK. The nearly $38 difference in fare is quite a bit more spending money for when I get to my final destination.
Why are you limiting yourself to just those two options? There is the New York Airport Service but that goes to the Port Authority which is just one block from Times Square. One way is only $5. Is that not "cheap"?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:19 am

Yes it is the one near the taxi circle. I've never been to the Marine Air Terminal so I assumed that's what the building next to the taxi circle was but looking at Google maps, maybe it's much further out.
I think you're thinking of the AA and UA hangars.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by nrr
If the MTA (or other public agencies were involved): (1) just agreeing on stops would have taken years--everyone on the route would be opposed to disrupting business or parking on "my" street/block ., (2) using the 2nd avenue subway (that project was originally proposed in the 20's...) as a guide, the Airtrain would have been finished in 2060.

Re LGA: the bus routes are deceiving (from the map) The Q48 (from Flushing), has long stretches (near Citi Field) where few pax get on or off.
Bolding/highlighting my comments for above on "what if" with a sense of humor - on NIMB syndrome

From mid-town Manhattan: (Grand Central/East Side or Times Square/Port Authority Bus Terminal, etc.) one could transfer via subway to the LIRR @ Penn Station/33rd Street and take the train to the Flushing Station stop (infrequent, off-peak services in about 20 minutes but at least plenty of seats & space.) Then down 2 long set of stairs & walk 2 blocks (luggage & backpacks in tow - no fun on overcrowded Main Street) to join the line for the Q48 bus to LGA - another 30 to 45 minutes - bus is always packed at rush hours with little room for large luggage (carryons/backbacks barely getting on.)

Q48's last stop is Marine Air Terminal before it turn around, passing Hertz in the opposite direction to the Delta Terminal, continuing to local streets in Corona & eventually back to Flushing. MTA's website - "It loops through LaGuardia Airport and makes a stop at Mets-Willets Point. Free transfers between the Q48 any bus or the subway are available if you pay your fare with MetroCard. The Q48 operates from 4:30 AM to 1:00 AM. Travel time from the Main St 7 station to LaGuardia Airport is approximately 30 minutes." or more

New York Water Taxi would be an interesting & somewhat scenic option if there is enough ridership to make it work and free shuttle stops to nearby subway/train stations (but will be stalled in never-ending traffic congestions) & less expensive than a taxi or car service ride - but it won't be fast either.

Another option from LGA is to take a taxi/car service to Long Island City (Steinway Street) to connect to the N/Q subway line for a ride into Manhattan & transfer to other points, this route would be a little bit faster vs. connecting at the Jackson Heights/Woodside or Flushing subway stations.

The problem with all of these and other "creative" options is that none are truely "visitors friendly" choices for out-of-town folks trying to reach their hotels or final destinations across the cities, especially lately with all these budget 2/3 star motels going up in the outer boroughs & advertised as being close to LGA and/or JFK, while some providing limited free shuttle services with the rest mostly simply pointing you to maps from Bing or Google, etc. Some of these do work with seasoned travelers or locals familiar with the Big Apple.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

There are always "creative" ways to get between Manhattan and the airports. I once took the LIRR from NYP to what was then Shea Stadium station, and then the Q48 to LGA. (Shea is in LIRR fare zone 1, so cheaper than going to Flushing Main Street.) This could only be done when the station was open for a Mets game, or an event at Flushing Meadows Park.)

Another time, I took an express bus from midtown to Astoria Boulevard (the route has since been discontinued), and then transferred to the Q33.

Prior to the introduction of the JFK AirTrain, on a few occassions I took the LIRR to Locust Manor station, and then the Q3 down Farmers Boulevard for the 15-minute ride into JFK. (Of course, that was at a time when the local buses stopped at all JFK terminals, not just Terminal 4.) But I agree that none of these route options is tourist friendly.

There was some political talk a couple of years ago of opening some new Metro North and LIRR stations in The Bronx and Queens. Among the stations being considered is an LIRR station in Corona which, if it ever came to pass, might offer a good connection to the Q72 to LGA.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Analise
Why are you limiting yourself to just those two options? There is the New York Airport Service but that goes to the Port Authority which is just one block from Times Square. One way is only $5. Is that not "cheap"?
I had no clue about the New York Airport Service. However, at the time when I used to travel to and from LGA more frequently, my flight would get in too late to take this bus. This bus also doesn't start early enough to make a 6 am flight from LGA which is when my flights from LGA have been lately. But I live much closer to Port Authority now so it's good to know about this option. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:24 am

I had no clue about the New York Airport Service. However, at the time when I used to travel to and from LGA more frequently, my flight would get in too late to take this bus. This bus also doesn't start early enough to make a 6 am flight from LGA which is when my flights from LGA have been lately. But I live much closer to Port Authority now so it's good to know about this option. Thanks!
You're welcome!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:31 pm
NBL

The NYAS bus from LGA to Manhattan is $5, but for some reason it's $12 from Manhattan to LGA.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NBL
The NYAS bus from LGA to Manhattan is $5, but for some reason it's $12 from Manhattan to LGA.
And the roundtrip, whether purchased as GCT-LGA-GCT, or as LGA-GCT-LGA, is $15.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wow about NYAS. I had no idea, either. Has it always been so cheap? It's something I would never have considered before getting the specifics from this thread.

Edit: Looks like their reviews on Yelp are abysmal.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jan 7, 2011 at 9:04 am
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
As a rider of the Q33 twenty times per year and the M60 twenty other times per year (slightly less than Blumie), the Q33 does NOT stop at the
Marine Air Terminal. I have not taken the Q47, but I assume you mean that line TO the Marine Air Terminal from Jackson Heights. Maybe for some strange reason your Q33 bus stopped there, but normally it does not.
Eek, sorry for all the confusion! Yes, Q33 doesn't go to Marine Air Terminal. I don't think my buses ever took a special trip there. I just seem to recall the drivers occasionally saying at the first stop as soon as you turn into the airport "Get off here for the Marine Air Terminal." Maybe there were people on the bus who needed to go there and wanted to know where to get off. Anyways, I was just trying to say you can get off the bus much earlier if your final destination is the Central Terminal by paying attention to the bus stops once you enter the airport rather than waiting for the bus to loop all the way around and visit the terminals one by one.

I did take the Q33 20+ times a year. These days I fly much less and so when we do travel, my husband lobbies for us to take a cab.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wow about NYAS. I had no idea, either. Has it always been so cheap? It's something I would never have considered before getting the specifics from this thread.
No, they keep changing the rates to try and get people on the bus. It's currently also only $7 from JFK to Manhattan on them.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:28 am

I did take the Q33 20+ times a year. These days I fly much less and so when we do travel, my husband lobbies for us to take a cab.
Does he have to lobby hard?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Easier fix: Since the M60 is dedicated to LGA, just get some buses either made for increased capacity with luggage space or retrofit some? NJ transit managed this type of fix by buying double decker trains. I lug over to the E train and Q33 because it's easier then hopping over to the first stop on the M60 to avoid waiting on the streets of harlem or watching crowded buses pass by.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Does he have to lobby hard?
No, he's won both times we've traveled together to LGA for 6 am flights. However, a $40 cab ride isn't so bad with two riders when you consider it's $20 each. As a single person, $40 was a bit much out of my pocket hence Q33/E train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.