Community
Wiki Posts
Search

restaurants that aren't pricey in NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Question restaurants that aren't pricey in NYC

Are there any really good restaurants that are a good value in NYC that you know of? I'm tired of paying steep prices for food that's not worth the price. Thanks much.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What price range are you considering a good value? For example, entrees under $35? $25? $15?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA1K
Zum Schneider...great authentic german food. corner of 7th and avenue C. but they only accept cash...you can get a good meal with some beers for under $40.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:10 am

New York Magazine currently lists over 4,000 restaurants in NYC as "$" or "$$" on their cost scale (vs. "$$$" and "$$$$"). Of those, 273 "$" restaurants and 507 "$$" restaurants are labeled as "critic's picks."

So yeah, there are some really good restaurants that aren't pricey.

What exactly do you have in mind?

Name a neighborhood, a price range, and the kind of food you like, and we can probably make some more specific recommendations.

For example, three favorites on the Lower East Side to which I return over and over are:
  • North Dumpling (Chinese) on Essex at Hester (typical meal = $3).
  • Cafe Petisco (Mediterranean-eclectic) on East Broadway at Jefferson (typical meal = $15)
  • Alias (new American) on Clinton at Rivington (typical meal = $25)
Old May 13, 2010, 2:02 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
"Pricey" is a subjective term. In NYC, it might mean three figures. Elsewhere, it might mean more than $20. It really helps if posters can be more specific on price ranges for which they are looking (as noted in the Sticky).
Old May 14, 2010, 10:06 am

Via Emilia Restaurant...

Originally Posted by zelda2823
Are there any really good restaurants that are a good value in NYC that you know of? I'm tired of paying steep prices for food that's not worth the price. Thanks much.
Via Emilia Italian Restaurant is a good suggestion for you. Great Italian food, prices are very reasonable, and the portions are generous.

Plus...it's not crazy getting a table and it's convenient (E 21st Street). Fyi, they don't take credit cards, which sucks, but everything else is good.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SkySide
and it's convenient (E 21st Street)
Isn't whether the restaurant is convenient a function of where one is?
Old May 14, 2010, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Three favorites on the Lower East Side to which I return over and over are:
  • North Dumpling (Chinese) on Essex at Hester (typical meal = $3).
  • Cafe Petisco (Mediterranean-eclectic) on East Broadway at Jefferson (typical meal = $15)
  • Alias (new American) on Clinton at Rivington (typical meal = $25)
I noticed this thread. We will be staying a few days on the Lower East Side this summer. Are there a few more places in the same $3-25 range (but preferably $3-18 range) you could add to the ones that you listed?
Old May 15, 2010, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zelda2823
As many have said, we need to know what your maximum is and then we can help.

That said, you really need to ask if there are any great restaurants of excellent value? For the locals, that is what we've known all of our lives.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by muji
I noticed this thread. We will be staying a few days on the Lower East Side this summer. Are there a few more places in the same $3-25 range (but preferably $3-18 range) you could add to the ones that you listed?
Sure: Congee Village (Chinese), Cafe Katja (Austrian), Little Giant (Hipster/New American), the Meatball Shop (meatballs!), Soy (homestyle Japanese), Antibes (low-key French) and El Maguey Y La Tuna (Mexican) are all places in the $10-15 range we've been back to more than once--some of them many times. Vanessa's Dumpling House is another dumpling place worth trying if North Dumpling doesn't do it for you (North Dumpling is a little cheaper and much more low key, but Vanessa's is a little cleaner, has a more orderly system for taking orders, and has a wider variety of dumplings on offer--both are very tasty). And there are many more excellent inexpensive places in the 'hood. If you're a food tourist staying on the LES, other places worth checking out include Doughnut Plant, Pickle Guys, Kossar's, Falai Paneteria, Russ & Daughters and Katz's. And you might enjoy browsing the Hester Street Fair (weekends only) and Essex Street Market.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a fan of Bao Noodles on 2nd Avenue between 22nd and 23rd Street.

http://www.baonoodles.com/

The have iDine/Restaurant Rewards too.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:31 pm

Thank you, themicah.
Much appreciated!
Old May 18, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
A couple off the top of my head
Yakitori Taisho at St Marks
Golden Unicorn on East Broadway for Dim sum
Old May 19, 2010, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Up to $25 pp would be in my price range. I drive in from New Jersey and will go anywhere in NYC for great food! Any cuisine is fine. Thanks to all!

Analise, or anyone else, what great restaurant of excellent value do you know of in NYC? Any cuisine is fine for me. Thanks.

Last edited by dstan; May 19, 2010 at 9:35 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old May 19, 2010, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Simply Pasta on 41st b/w 6th and Broadway is a great value.

If you like Thai, Pongsri on 48th just east of 8th Ave is alsoa great value.

Tatany 72 on 2nd Ave has delicious sushi. You can find street parking on weekends especially now.

Super good and very cheap...The Dumpling House in Chinatown. Those dumplings are scrumptious.

One french restaurant at the $25 level for a prix fix 3 course meal including this huge table appetizer of wursts (think Alsace-Lorraine), pates, vegetables, baby gherkins, and huge fresh fruit basket; choice of entrees, and dessert of either mousse au chocolate or creme caramel. Now you haven't had anything to drink yet but their wine list is reasonable. It's called Les Sans Culottes East. It's on 2nd Ave and 57 Street. I think it's a GREAT value (ask to sit downstairs) and you are not rushed.

There are many, many more. Those just came to mind now.

Last edited by Analise; May 19, 2010 at 8:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.