Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Immigration and more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

JFK Immigration and more

Hello all, glad to have found this site as I have a couple of burning questions.
I am booking flights for my fiancée from Kiev to Kansas City and I have found that I can get cheaper prices by booking each section separately. Here are my questions:

How long can she expect to take to clear Immigrations at JFK? She is arriving on a K-1 Visa. And will 2 ½ hours be enough time to make a connecting flight?

Since I am booking each leg of the flight from JFK separately, will her bags automatically be routed to the final destination or will we need to recheck them at each terminal?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

I recommend against booking it separately. Tru using an online travel agent and booking it as a multi-segment trip instead. Generally it will price out the same as the two individual tickets and there are additional benefits should there be a delay.

As for immigration and customs, she will have to collect her bags in JFK and then check them back in no matter what.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
As for immigration and customs, she will have to collect her bags in JFK and then check them back in no matter what.
True, but this is a separate issue from whether or not you through-checked the bags. If they're already through-checked, then you can generally just place them on a conveyor belt yourself or give it to an attendant that will do so for you. If not, then you have to re-check it and and have it re-tagged, and if the onward carrier doesn't have a desk at the Customs area do to this, then you'll also have to take it yourself to their check-in counter, possibly in a different terminal.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the NYC Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Dave_G

How long can she expect to take to clear Immigrations at JFK? She is arriving on a K-1 Visa. And will 2 ½ hours be enough time to make a connecting flight?
Congratulations on your engagement.

I suspect the answer to the above question lies in how much scrutiny USCIS gives to the holders of K-1 visas, something I don't think anyone here actually knows.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
True, but this is a separate issue from whether or not you through-checked the bags. If they're already through-checked, then you can generally just place them on a conveyor belt yourself or give it to an attendant that will do so for you. If not, then you have to re-check it and and have it re-tagged, and if the onward carrier doesn't have a desk at the Customs area do to this, then you'll also have to take it yourself to their check-in counter, possibly in a different terminal.
That is the crux of my concern. She will be flying Aeroflot and arriving at T-1, then transfer to T-3 to board with Delta. Will she be able to have the bags tagged for the entire flight to the final destination even if booked as seperate flights?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Congratulations on your engagement.

I suspect the answer to the above question lies in how much scrutiny USCIS gives to the holders of K-1 visas, something I don't think anyone here actually knows.
That is the crux of my concern. She will be flying Aeroflot and arriving at T-1, then transfer to T-3 to board with Delta. Will she be able to have the bags tagged for the entire flight to the final destination even if booked as seperate flights?
Sorry, but no. People coming in with K-1s are in fact subject to greater scrutiny than VWPs. Please, for your own peace of mind, check with an immigration lawyer.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because the two carriers are partners in SkyTeam it should be possible to have the bags tagged all the way through, especially if the entire itinerary is purchased on a single ticket. That doesn't mean that the SU agents in KBP will tag the bags correctly or that everything wwill run smoothly (the DL agent at ORD pulled the old tags and re-tagged my bags so as to "not confuse the baggage guys with these other tags").

But if you're booking it as separate tickets then you likely won't get the bags tagged through. You also won't get the international baggage allowance on the onward flight so she'll have to pay at the DL counter for checked bags.

Moreover, because of the potential for customs issues I would ABSOLUTELY have everything on one ticket. That will provide you with significant advantages in terms of rebooking should she misconnect.

As I mentioned before, I'd strongly recommend booking it all on one itinerary, even if it costs a little bit more. It'll provide for a much smoother travel experience. If she does choose to carry the bags from T1 to T2/3 herself it is pretty easy. She should pay the $5 (CC accepted) for the cart in the baggage claims hall prior to clearing customs. She can wheel that to the elevator to the AirTrain and then right into T3 to drop her bags back off with Delta.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Because the two carriers are partners in SkyTeam it should be possible to have the bags tagged all the way through, especially if the entire itinerary is purchased on a single ticket. That doesn't mean that the SU agents in KBP will tag the bags correctly or that everything wwill run smoothly (the DL agent at ORD pulled the old tags and re-tagged my bags so as to "not confuse the baggage guys with these other tags").

But if you're booking it as separate tickets then you likely won't get the bags tagged through. You also won't get the international baggage allowance on the onward flight so she'll have to pay at the DL counter for checked bags.

Moreover, because of the potential for customs issues I would ABSOLUTELY have everything on one ticket. That will provide you with significant advantages in terms of rebooking should she misconnect.

As I mentioned before, I'd strongly recommend booking it all on one itinerary, even if it costs a little bit more. It'll provide for a much smoother travel experience. If she does choose to carry the bags from T1 to T2/3 herself it is pretty easy. She should pay the $5 (CC accepted) for the cart in the baggage claims hall prior to clearing customs. She can wheel that to the elevator to the AirTrain and then right into T3 to drop her bags back off with Delta.
Thanks for all the information, and I understand what you are saying about booking as a single flight, but based upon the cost involved and the timing, we will plan on spending the night in New york. It will be least expensive in the long run.

Also I will be meeting her in NY with an empty carryon to reduce the weight from the suitcases and allow me to check one of her suitcases as mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.