Wiki Posts
Search

Bar Harbor to West Quoddy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Bar Harbor to West Quoddy

Has anyone done this drive? I'm just curious how long the drive will be and if it's feasible to do in one day roundtrip. Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I did that drive as part of a group that was heading out there for the weekend. It is something like 120 miles or so, but it is on a two lane road through many small towns for the most part of it. I just looked at Google Maps, they say it's two hours and 30 minutes, but when we did it it took much longer. It's very very very foggy when you get near West Quoddy (at least most of the time) and there are many small parades and town things along the route that slow down traffic.

The street view on Google covers the majority of the route, move that little guy around a bit and you can easily see you won't be doing 50 mph on the route.

Round trip is possible if you head out early in the day. I would not want to drive in the West Quoddy area in the dark, the fog was bad enough in daylight. But you can easily leave say at 8 or 9, get there by noon or 2, spend a few hours there, and even if you leave at 6 or 7 you can be back by midnight.

Hopefully you are going during blueberry season, the route is loaded with them, and many stands of people selling them or stuff made with them.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks. No, if we go it will be next week so we'll be too early for the blueberries. We were in the Bar Harbor area last summer in mid August just in time for the peak of blueberry season. Wow!

If we do this drive, it will be during the week so I would hope we would avoid the parades but thanks for the heads up. Right now, it's just an idea.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Analise,

Please report back if you would as we will be doing this drive from Winter Harbor the first week in August. We were hoping to do a stop at Rogue Bluffs along the way as well.

Thank you
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Analise,

Please report back if you would as we will be doing this drive from Winter Harbor the first week in August. We were hoping to do a stop at Rogue Bluffs along the way as well.

Thank you
If we do this, sure! I'm packing my passport just in case.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Analise,

Thank you
Blank Sheet, nobody wanted to do the drive so we didn't make it to West Quoddy. I'd love to hear how your drive goes next month.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Will do as we will be in ME the first week in August and based in Winter Harbor. Ferrying over to Bar Harbor on Tuesday and probably driving up the coast on Wednesday or Thursday. Don't know if we will make it all the way to Quoddy as we want to poke along the coast when possible. All of which is based on the weather. Like you we are bringing our passports just in case we just make it to Lubec.

We will be at the Rockland lobster festival on that Sunday as well as Winter Harbor's the following Saturday. Our first time in Maine and looking forward to it.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

This year, we will drive to West Quoddy from MDI and we're once again considering staying overnight but our budget is tight. We will be going in the midde of August which I believe is the height of blueberry season (yum!). So we could do it roundtrip from MDI but maybe it will be fun to stay in Lubec, Machias, Cutler, (add a town).

Thoughts?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

We did the drive last week. Actually, we drove from Bar Harbor to Campobello Island. The drive was easy. It took maybe 2 3/4 hours because we stopped for 15 minutes in Machias. We stayed overnight in Lubec. On the way back, we stopped at the Schoodic peninsula to hike around that part of Acadia. Just breathtaking!

Didn't drive in fog nor were we stuck behind trucks. We could go 50-55 mph for most of the drive unless we were driving through towns. Not that many towns actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.