Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:39 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by CMK10
I just learned Charlie Cards expire. I was in Boston last weekend and I tried to use a Charlie Card I'd gotten in 2007 that I'd used as recently as 2011 and was told by the fare machine that my card had expired. I think I lost a few dollars worth of value on there too.
Interesting, sorry you lost money on it (I can only imagine how someone would feel if they had double-digit or even triple-digit value on there). In researching this, I found this website to give helpful information: https://www.americaninno.com/boston/...ecard-expires/

According to the MBTA website, CharlieCards expire at different times depending on the particular program they cover. General public CharlieCards expire after 10 years; senior and TAP users have an expiration date printed on their SR/TAP badge; and student cards expire at the end of the school year.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Can't a person with an expired card go to an MBTA office (I remember one at Downtown Crossing) and trade the expired card for a current card?

Last edited by Analise; Jul 23, 2018 at 5:54 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:32 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Analise
Can't a person with an expired card to an MBTA office (I remember one at Downtown Crossing) and trade the expired card for a current card?
You can definitely get a new card at any time, I think the question is whether any money or passes on the expired card would transfer over to the new one. It sounds like, from CMK10's experience and the experiences shown in that link I posted, that doing such a transfer is not possible, but I don't have the first-hand knowledge to know and can't find anything stating one way or the other.
Analise likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:32 pm

Yes, you can transfer funds from an expired card. It is at the end of your link and here:

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation...iration-dates/
Analise likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:39 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
10 years you get, I think.

And you can take your expired card to the Charlie Store at Downtown Crossing and they will transfer the value for you. Probably not worth the time unless it's a whole lot of money
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If the card is readable, it can be transferred. The expiration date exists so that people aren't using cards that may not work reliably after a certain period of time.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Early CharlieCards did not have an expiration date printed, but they do expire electronically after a certain time - by now, those are all expired. In later batches, they started printing mm/yy expiration dates on the card - I think the earliest I've seen is 12/20, most seem to be 12/21. Unfortunately, anyone with a undated card is likely out of luck except if it can be read at the CharlieCard store at Downtown Crossing.

Fun fact for the locals - old commuter rail zoned CharlieCard passes (printed with the month on them for use on commuter trains) still work as regular CharlieCards after their month is up. I've got an August 2016 card still going strong with stored value on it.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Fast forward to 2022.

The MBTA now officially charges USD 3.00 for a (plastic) Charlie Card although there are a few circumstances when you can get the card for free.

The MBTA is in the midst of revamping the fare structure and rules, so many of the points in preceding replies have changed. They call it Charlie 2.0 and it involved replacing all of the fare gates and all of the fare vending machines.

Some other highlights:

When buying tickets to ride the subway, do not select "commuter rail" on the touch screen.

Taking the tunnel bus (Silver Line) from Logan Airport to downtown, boarding and connection to the subway is free for that first ride (subject to change without notice). But there can be numerous delays due to traffic. If you take the airport shuttle bus to the Blue Line rapid transit about a mile away,, you pay the normal fare at the Airport station.

Charlie tickets with magnetic (black) stripes are no longer valid anywhere although value can be transferred at the Charlie Store (just one location observing bankers' hours at the Downtown Crossing station outside paid area). New style Charlie tickets with touch sensing (RFID) are now in use.

An overall fare increase (a few fare categories have a decrease) is effective July 1, 2022.

All along, Charlie cards have been handed out at random stations at random times; otherwise only (paper) Charlie tickets were available from fare vending machines.

Every now and then a plastic Charlie Card is found including in a wastebasket. It is dangerous to pick up and use it because some Charlie cards are owned by corporations for their employee fare plans and the card could be invalidated without warning. But you can get away using a found card for small amounts of fare.

Last edited by AllanJ; Jun 26, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes, but the tickets are now tappable now (no more inserting required) so the tickets are now free, albeit with a lower durability than the plastic cards.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:51 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I haven't seen anything about a fare increase. I have seen that a few of the passes are going down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.