Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: NW, DL
Another possible reason that there isn't an uproar over the latest change to Charlie Cards and Charlie Tickets is that for some folks, the result of the change in the fare structure is that fares have gone DOWN.

My monthly T pass used to cost $79 a month because my closest T stop was the outlying red line station, and it cost double the fare throughout most of the system. (Back when it was still tokens, it took 2 tokens to go into town, and if you were coming out of the city, a token to get on and a token to get off.) This extra surcharge was done away with, and now I pay $59 a month for the joy (ha!) of riding the T.

If you think the fare structure doesn't make sense, how about this? The T just built a new commuter rail line to the south shore. I was very excited about this initially, but I don't know if I will ever ride it because of the fare structure. There is a new station about a mile and a half from where I live. The T is about 3 miles from where I live. It costs $59 a month to travel on the T, but $151 a month for a commuter rail pass for my nearest stop. Huh?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Ok, gang, what's the deal? Why did the female security guard want me to buy the more expensive fare on a Charlie Ticket? Why are there two fares? Who would use a Charlie Ticket when a Charlie Card is cheaper?
You did the right thing to ask for the CharlieCard. That female guard was just being a thug. I should point out that MBTA does not have "security guards" per say only employees and there is also MBTA aka Transit Police. You likely encountered an employee on a power trip.

People that have never bothered getting a CharlieCard are the only locals that really should be using the CharlieTickets. Even if you're a tourist a CharlieCard can be advantageous due to the reduced cost of bus/subway transfers in addition to the overall low fare. That said, if you're only going to be in town for a couple of days and don't plan on coming back any time soon I wouldn't waste time looking for a place to get a CharlieCard and just stick with the ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
The plan was to phase out free distribution of the cards and offer them
for sale (the way many cities do, including Washington DC and Singapore)
or for residents only by application (Christchurch). I don't know when if
ever this scheme will be implemented.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by violist
The plan was to phase out free distribution of the cards and offer them
for sale (the way many cities do, including Washington DC and Singapore)
or for residents only by application (Christchurch). I don't know when if
ever this scheme will be implemented.
They have officially entered this stage. I have a CharlieCard with my monthly pass on it and thought I would get an extra card to load in case I lost it. I was informed at the South Station commuter ticket booth that they can only be "bought." She would only give me one if I loaded a value onto it. Sort of pointless if I always buy monthly. Also as far as I know the only official places to get Charliecards now are South Station, Back Bay, North Station and Downtown Crossing....maybe Gov't center.

What bothers me the most about this system is the inconsistency. I live off the Green C-Line and there are no machines to even buy a charlieticket. I try to plan ahead when we have visitors to save my guests from the glaring looks one receives for paying cash on board.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one
Most Bostonians aren't hit with the extra 18%, but speaking of being up in arms - a 3% or so city income tax as levied by NYC doesn't bother you????? You pick your battles. Apparently New Yorkers are content with their city incoime tax, Bostonians will settle for the 18% MBTA surcharge. Why don't New Yorkers riot over the income tax? I just don't get it.
You don't get it? Well the ny city tax applies to all residents; you can't bypass it if you happen to be lucky enough to have been given a "bypass the city tax" plastic card. Why is it so hard for people to understand that the concept that having two payment tracks based on having the luck of someone giving you a cheaper option is bizarre. Also, how are your property taxes in MA? In NYC, property taxes are remarkably low. That right there makes up for city income tax. But then again, I'm not sure what a universal city income tax has to do with a Boston train system which has two different price schemes depending upon if you're lucky enough to get a plastic card.

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
You did the right thing to ask for the CharlieCard. That female guard was just being a thug. I should point out that MBTA does not have "security guards" per say only employees and there is also MBTA aka Transit Police. You likely encountered an employee on a power trip.
Yes she was deciding who should spend more money and who should get a good deal. What a lowlife.

People that have never bothered getting a CharlieCard are the only locals that really should be using the CharlieTickets. Even if you're a tourist a CharlieCard can be advantageous due to the reduced cost of bus/subway transfers in addition to the overall low fare. That said, if you're only going to be in town for a couple of days and don't plan on coming back any time soon I wouldn't waste time looking for a place to get a CharlieCard and just stick with the ticket.
Well I now have the card so I'll use it. I find it odd that there is not one pricing scheme (per ride, multiple rides, unlimited) but two depending upon if you're not clued in enough to get the cheaper card versus ticket. Again, in NYC, that would not hold. We all may pay more to live and work here but we won't put up with two different public transportation pricing models depending upon paper or plastic.

Originally Posted by violist
The plan was to phase out free distribution of the cards and offer them for sale (the way many cities do, including Washington DC and Singapore) or for residents only by application (Christchurch). I don't know when if ever this scheme will be implemented.
DC has two different pricing models depending upon if you buy a plastic card and then put money on it verses paying a higher price for a free paper ticket? When did that start?

As for Boston, did the city gov't wonks change their minds regarding charging for the plastic cards? The cards are being phased out, when will they phase in only one price list?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
You don't get it? Well the ny city tax applies to all residents; you can't bypass it if you happen to be lucky enough to have been given a "bypass the city tax" plastic card. Why is it so hard for people to understand that the concept that having two payment tracks based on having the luck of someone giving you a cheaper option is bizarre. Also, how are your property taxes in MA? In NYC, property taxes are remarkably low. That right there makes up for city income tax. But then again, I'm not sure what a universal city income tax has to do with a Boston train system which has two different price schemes depending upon if you're lucky enough to get a plastic card.
Since you brought up NYC property taxes, you might want to look at this site http://www.henrygeorgeschool.org/taxquestions.htm Seems not every property is treated equally. And the NYC income tax is progressive, no, so higher income payers pay more. This is certainly not equal payments.

I have no problem with being upset to be charged the higher price for the ticket. You should be upset, especially since it seems so capricious, but to say New Yorkers wouldn't put up with it is silly. I can assure you there is no huge movement to overthrow the MBTA fare structure.

Speaking of fare structures, if you drove to Boston recently via the Pike, you paid a toll, but since I have a fastpass device, I get a reduced price and I can deduct the expense from my state income tax. That said, people who drive into Boston from the North or South do not pay this onerous toll, so people who live west of Boston subsidize the rest of the commuters and pay a larger portion of the Big Dig, but there is no tea party going on. For the pittance this would save me personally, it is just not worth the fight.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
There's no reason for this to be yet another NY vs. Boston battle. (After all, we know how that will come out. Just look who won the World Series, after all! )

I've done a little bit of research, and it seem that the MBTA's plan was/is to incent people to use the CharlieCard because it will allow the MBTA to operate more efficiently by, among other things, (1) capturing data about passenger's travel patters and (2) allowing for more efficient ways for people to pay their fares, such as by reloading your card over the internet or providing for automatic reloading when the card runs out.

I honestly don't think anyone in either Boston or NY would object to the fare difference on this basis. (It's the exact same theory that is used in NY and Boston to provide discounted tolls for EZ Pass and FastLane users.) To the extent there's been negative publicity -- and I think it would be the same in NY -- it is that privacy advocates are not happy with the amount of personal data that the MBTA is able to capture using these cards.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Analise, I hope its ok to slightly steal this thread on a related question?
So, I'm doing a 3-Day trip to Boston in January and figure that my best bet will be a Week Link Pass. Does that require a Charlie Card or is it a Charlie Ticket (or for that matter just some kind of regular ticket)? If the latter, can I purchase it from Logan? (The site makes reference to Purchase a pass at over 500 in-station fare vending machines or retail sales locations. )
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:23 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
You can load a Weekly Pass onto both the CharlieCard or a CharlieTicket. (If you don't already have a CharlieCard, then don't worry about it. It's not any more expensive to load a Weekly Pass onto a CharlieTicket.) You can buy your Week LinkPass at any of the vending machines. Just follow the directions on the screen for buying a pass, and it'll dispense a paper CharlieTicket that you will scan each time you take the subway or bus. Just don't lose it!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Efrem
I don't think anyone has answered this one yet. Apologies if I missed an answer as I read through the thread.

Charlie was a fictional character in "The MTA Song," also known as "Charlie on the MTA." ("MTA" stood for Metropolitan Transit Authority, the predecessor of today's Mass. Bay Transit Authority or MBTA.) It was written for the 1948 mayoral campaign of Walter O'Brien. It was made famous by the Kingston Trio about ten years later, with the name changed to George O'Brien to avoid political problems.

Charlie was a poor chap who got on a train for the usual fare of 10¢, unaware that he'd also have to pay the new exit fare of 5¢ later. (The MTA instituted this scheme so as not to have to modify its toll collection machines.) As the song ends he's condemned to ride the train forever, with his wife handing him a sandwich each day as the train goes through the Scollay Square (now Government Center, since 1960s urban renewal tore down Scollay Square) station. (The song doesn't explain why she couldn't hand him a nickel too.) The only way to get Charlie off the MTA is to vote for O'Brien, who would repeal the fare increase. Unfortunately for Charlie, but perhaps fortunately for the solvency of Boston-area rapid transit, he lost.
An excellent explanation, and I've always wondered why Charlie's wife didn't just hand him a nickel. Maybe he was trying to make a political statement. Come to think of it, look on the TS&S forum for a poster named "Charlie."

Mike
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
An excellent explanation, and I've always wondered why Charlie's wife didn't just hand him a nickel. Maybe he was trying to make a political statement. Come to think of it, look on the TS&S forum for a poster named "Charlie."

Mike
I remember when I was a kid the very first time I rode the Red Line out to Quincy (where you could catch a bus to take you to Paragon Park at Nantasket Beach!) and having to pay another fare to exit the station. Presumably if I didn't have the extra dime, I could've reboarded a train and ridden back to Boston, where I could exit without paying an extra fare. I also seem to recall this scheme on the Green Line. Didn't you have to pay an extra quarter to exit the Riverside Line if you got off beyond a certain point? (My recollection is that, as a kid, my fare was a dime no matter what, so I was not obligated to pay the extra fare. But I think adults did.)
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: NW, DL
Ah Blumie, you're making my eyes misty with memories of misspent youthful days at Paragon Park and Nantasket beach.....

Yeah, you used to also have to pay extra at Quincy Center before Braintree was built.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
I've done a little bit of research, and it seem that the MBTA's plan was/is to incent people to use the CharlieCard because it will allow the MBTA to operate more efficiently by, among other things, (1) capturing data about passenger's travel patters and (2) allowing for more efficient ways for people to pay their fares, such as by reloading your card over the internet or providing for automatic reloading when the card runs out.
Well that makes sense. So why don't they have signage promoting the plastic card as the cheaper option than one using a paper ticket? Why was there some idiot female employee who would NOT want customers to get the plastic card?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that makes sense. So why don't they have signage promoting the plastic card as the cheaper option than one using a paper ticket? Why was there some idiot female employee who would NOT want customers to get the plastic card?
Because at the end of the day, the MBTA just is not particularly well run. People in NY like to complain about the MTA, but IME the MTA is far better run than is the MBTA.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
We should be complaining why the T closes at 12:30am - not an insignificant
$.30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.