Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restaurant - nice - in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Blumie
And if you want to go elsewhere for dessert, there are two well known Italian pastry shops on Hanover Street, the "main drag" of the North End neighborhood in which Limoncello is located: Mike's, the better known and larger of the two, but also the more touristy and less well regarded; and Modern Pastry.
I second the idea of strolling Hanover Street for desert....several pastry shops along the way....gives you a sense of the "old" Boston.

If you were planning on taking a harbor cruise, you could also consider doing the Sprint of Boston meal cruises (Lunch or Dinner). 2 hour cruises with full meal included....somewhat pricy, but if you add the cost of a cruise and meal together it's in the ballpark.
http://www.spiritcitycruises.com/bo/...cityOut=Boston
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by grizzly
Federalist - American. Fresh, inventive food and a chocolate/raspberry, mousse-like cake that must be the work of the devil.
I think the Federalist is horribly overrated and has lackluster food and service. The room is great but the rest can be easily avoided.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Another thought: Sel de la Terre ("Salt of the Earth"), on Atlantic Avenue a couple of blocks north of the Aquarium, just south of the Long Wharf Marriott. Sounds like she'd love the rib-eye steak. And be sure to get an order of rosemary fries - you can share it as you're waiting for the other stuff.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:38 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Thank You!

Well the weekend has almost ended and I wanted to post back here to thank you very much for the wonderful suggestions that everybody provided. Here's what we actually "did"

Friday: Grabbed lunch at Quincy Market - pizza and gelato

Went to Mike's Pastries and brought back to the hotel cannoli, cream puff, and a cupcake. The cream puff and cannolis were winners! (the pastries lasted all weekend too btw)

Legal Sea Foods - she had her first taste of clam chowder and loved it ^ We both had lobster which was great as well!

Saturday: Lunch on Newbury Street at Luigi & Rosco (sp?). Both of us ordered Caesar Salads. Asked for a roll or some bread - told "only available for dinner" which both of us found a bit strange that a restaurant did not have bread available, but was later told by the manager that in fact they make their own bread on premises so it's only made starting at 4 PM which made more sense. I had an iced tea - one small one was brought; never refilled; $3 charge for it. Service was horrible; would not recommend this place unless you just want to sit outside and have a drink/beer - people watching and location were great!

When I talked with the manager, he said he would send over a dessert (which we didn't really want) but did nothing about the $3 charge for the iced tea (I was really hoping he would actually have another iced tea brought over).

Saturday Dinner: Limoncellas. Wonderful. Food was great; service was great; atmosphere was fun/lively. Would definitely recommend this restaurant! We both had Caesar Salads to start and they were VERY good (unlike our lunch ones - OK, so we both really like this salad )). There was good rustic bread brought with a small bowl of various olives. The waiter recommended an excellent Chianti (very flavorful) and my niece ordered Shrimp Scampi over linguini while I ordered the lobster ravioli. The flavors of both were excellent and the portions were more than enough for one person. At the end of the evening I was brough a small glass of limoncella which was a nice touch. The owner/maitre'd was just fabulous - gracious, nice, warm. We never felt that we were hurried although they turned over many tables. Great experience here!

Went to Cheesecake Factory at the PRudential to order 2 slices to take back to the hotel for dessert.

Sunday: Stopped at Finale while in Cambridge. Ordered 2 pastries to take-out and have later on. Gorgeous pastry display. Pastries themselves were OK - neither one of us really likes chocolate at all so we ordered a vanilla cupcake and a boston cream type cake. Cupcake was very good; Boston cream thing was filled with some kind of chocolate granauche (sic). . .

Sunday: I wore my niece out! We ordered dinner in from a Chinese restaurant - it was fine. Had a good meal; relaxed with the Finale desserts as the final touch.

Again, thank you all for posting and helping me out! I appreciate it. My niece's first trip to Boston was amazing and every time I come to this city I seem to enjoy it more and more
Old Jul 17, 2006, 6:50 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by ldsant
My niece's first trip to Boston was amazing and every time I come to this city I seem to enjoy it more and more
Well, I bet that'd be a different tune if you lived here. j/k I love it here as well. Nice to hear you had a such a great time with your neice. Love Limoncello for dinner. And you guys had some of our hottest weather to date this year.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ldsant
Well the weekend has almost ended and I wanted to post back here to thank you very much for the wonderful suggestions that everybody provided...
Again, thank you all for posting and helping me out! I appreciate it. My niece's first trip to Boston was amazing and every time I come to this city I seem to enjoy it more and more
Glad to hear you had a great experience. Newbury St is a place for people watching, but there are very few decent restaurants there.
Just curious, did you check your blood sugar yet after the weekend?
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Newbury St is a place for people watching, but there are very few decent restaurants there.
Kashmir is great. Casa Romera on Gloucester, right off of Newbury, is passable.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 2:57 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
. . .
Just curious, did you check your blood sugar yet after the weekend?
LMAO! Realize that my darling size 4 niece made me stop at Dean & Deluca's in New York on our way to LGA (just a bit out of the way!) because she had to have another one of their cupcakes (this was from our trip in January!). The two of us have decided that we are going to have cupcakes wherever our travels may take us and start a compare/contrast
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
If she still has an appetite on Sunday morning - if she's like most teen-agers, she will - consider Tremont 647 (at guess what number Tremont Street, corner of West Brookline) for brunch. (I've heard that it's overpriced and overrated for dinner, but haven't been there for dinner myself.)
Tremont 647 can be a fun brunch restaurant and for a teenager, she might have fun with the "Pajama" brunch theme, where the waitstaff wear actual pajamas. Customers are encouraged to do the same, though I have never seen any actually doing it.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:59 am

Pho Republique

Another delicious option for the younger set is Pho Republique, in the newly formed "SOWA" district - South of Washington. The restaurant, located at 1415 Washington is a great Vietnames and South East Asian fusion restaurant with entertaining decor. A stroll in the South End can be finished up with dinner at this popular restaurant.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Forget dinner!!!!!! You HAVE to go to "finale" in Boston. It's a desert place and the deserts are unbelievable! Totally worth skipping any normal meal for!!!
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:06 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
Forget dinner!!!!!! You HAVE to go to "finale" in Boston. It's a desert place and the deserts are unbelievable! Totally worth skipping any normal meal for!!!
I was at finale recently and was very unimpressed with the desserts. We had the sampler chocolate platter (forget what they call it) and not one of the desserts did I either of us think worth returning for. If you're into chocolate desserts (as I am) there are much better ones out there. It's definitely a popular spot though, and perhaps they do better with the non-chocolates.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
Finale's desserts look magnificant. Unfortunately they are not as good as they look.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by raffy
...the newly formed "SOWA" district - South of Washington.
Washington St is a north-south street ... how can a district be "south of" a N-S road? (Of course, that's assuming it's the Washington St that I'm thinking of. The City of Boston has at least 5 unrelated Washington Streets in various parts of town.)
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by wideman
Washington St is a north-south street ... how can a district be "south of" a N-S road? (Of course, that's assuming it's the Washington St that I'm thinking of. The City of Boston has at least 5 unrelated Washington Streets in various parts of town.)
It's nominally north-south, but in that part of town it's northeast to southwest.

More details on the South End

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.