Reload this Page >

Restaurant et al recommendations for Burlington VT/Plattsburgh NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Now also looking for recommendations for Plattsburgh, NY

Folks were so helpful with a prior trip Restaurant recommendations for Brattleboro VT/Keene NH , let me ask now for another set of recommendations:

Friend and I are doing a 4 night trip to Burlington in early November. Interested in restaurant recommendations (no vegetarian -- but extra points if there is some place that serves great pie ). Steak, Mexican, "Asian" (any good Asian buffets), breakfast restaurants, fish.

Any fun points of interest? We are not into hiking, and usually spend our time on short sight-seeing drives, watching videos on Amazon Prime/Netflix, eating, and catching up.

While we're on the subject, if you have video recommendations per this thread please suggest. (Along with the ones noted in that thread opener, I would say favorites have been Homeland, Jack Ryan, Without Remorse, The Accountant, Hell or High Water, Wind River). Would love to see more like that.

TIA!

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 22, 2022 at 6:38 am
Old Sep 11, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I am out of touch with Burlington restaurants, but there have got to be some good ones right in town. Try a google search if you don't get decent recommendations on this board,

If you/re up for an adventure, I've always enjoyed Three Penny Taproom, in Montpelier, 40 minutes from Burlington. I much prefer sitting at the bar rather than in the dining room, but either way they offer a pretty decent upscale pub menu of food and drinks. And if you like IPAs and have never had Heady Topper, be sure to give it a try. It's one of the best beers out there. (You should be able to find it at many bars in northern Vermont, including Burlington, not just at Three Penny Taproom, but I always get it there.)

Another option is driving the 40 minutes to Stowe, VT, which is a fun town to explore and where, again, I'm out of touch, but there are certain to be some decent dining options,

Slightly closer -- about 30 minutes from Burlington -- is Waterbury, VT, where Prohibition Pig is a decent pub-like dining option.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
It's been a while but Leunig's Bistro in Burlington was good. American Flatbreads down in Waitsfiled is fun; maybe hit that after Ben & Jerry's.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
American Flatbreads down in Waitsfiled is fun; maybe hit that after Ben & Jerry's.
Dessert before dinner! Perfect!

But for what it’s worth, although I’m a big fan of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream (and was fortunate enough to attend Ben’s wedding, which Jerry officiated, in 2016, albeit as a roadie for the band!), I think the Ben & Jerry’s “factory” is a waste of time. Just go to the Ben & Jerry’s scoop shop in Burlington for your ice cream fix.

Also note that there’s an American Flatbread in Burlington, which I’ve enjoyed, although I don’t think it’s the same experience as going to the Waitsfield location.

A little beyond Waitsfield, should you go, is Warren, Vermont and the Warren Store. It was purchased 20 years ago by a retired Merrill Lynch executive, and notwithstanding that (or perhaps because of that), it’s always been a cool place, with a country store (with a great deli) feeling downstairs, and a nice clothing store upstairs.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, while again it’s been awhile, I’ve always enjoyed Penny Cluse in Burlington for breakfast.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, one last post and then I’ll shut up.

I had occasion to go to Beirut, Lebanon for a 3-day weekend in 2017, and at the suggestion of a friend took an Uber to the town of Baalbek, in northern Lebanon, which was founded by the Phoenecians and later settled by the Romans, and to this day has spectacular 2,000-year-old Roman-era ruins. Well the Uber ride took two hours and brought me deep into Hezbollah-controlled Lebanon, close to the Syrian boarded, where no American had any business being. The Uber driver dropped me at the edge of the archaeological ruins, where hawkers were selling souvenirs. “Where are you from?,” one of them asked me. “I’m from the US,” I responded (perhaps naively). “Oh, my brother owns a Lebanese restaurant in Burlington, Vermont!”

So if you’re in the mood, stop into Ahli Baba’s Kabob Shop in Burlington and say hello to this guy’s brother!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:21 am

Did you go already? BTV local with current suggestions:

- Dedalus Wine Bar - world class wine and chef driven small plates. I really do mean WORLD CLASS wine. PM me for some specific info on people there. I'm there once a week at least.
- Sotto Enoteca - Small intimate italian. Surprisingly great wine list.
- Istanbul - Authentic Turkish run by two brothers from Istanbul.
- Citizen Cider - fun place with excellent varieties of local ciders
- City Market Co-op south end - amazing selection of local produce. Sounds lame but it's not. GO eat what real farm fresh tastes like.
- Leunigs - eat upstairs. Good french bistro. BTV institution.
- Tiny Thai in Winooski - order of the real Thai menu. Actually Thai.
- Hotel Vermont / Juniper - sit at the bar or outside. Nice industrial / farm chic hotel bar/restaurant.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lionelhutzskis
Did you go already? BTV local with current suggestions:

- Dedalus Wine Bar - world class wine and chef driven small plates. I really do mean WORLD CLASS wine. PM me for some specific info on people there. I'm there once a week at least.
- Sotto Enoteca - Small intimate italian. Surprisingly great wine list.
- Istanbul - Authentic Turkish run by two brothers from Istanbul.
- Citizen Cider - fun place with excellent varieties of local ciders
- City Market Co-op south end - amazing selection of local produce. Sounds lame but it's not. GO eat what real farm fresh tastes like.
- Leunigs - eat upstairs. Good french bistro. BTV institution.
- Tiny Thai in Winooski - order of the real Thai menu. Actually Thai.
- Hotel Vermont / Juniper - sit at the bar or outside. Nice industrial / farm chic hotel bar/restaurant.
Thanks for this list. It's time for me to get back to Burlington!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
https://www.henofthewood.com/
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Thanks, all. We are not big wine people. Any recommendations for steak or seafood?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Trip may change to Plattsburgh NY. Looking for restaurant et al recommendations.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Last call. Thank you!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Butcher Block in Plattsburgh is quite nice

Anthony's Bistro is "fancy" (by Plattsburgh standards) and is quite good as well
cblaisd likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 9:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just went to Plattsburgh and drove to Burlington. I had a great lunch in Plattsburgh here: https://www.twistedcarrotny.com/

I didn't get the change to dine in Burlington this time but a 2017 visit took me to dinner at A Single Pebble (https://asinglepebble.com/) which was lovely and I got a great hoagie at Kampus Korner, a little deli by UVT.

Also for beer, Four Quarters Brewing in nearby Winooski, VT was great.
diburning likes this.

Last edited by CMK10; Jan 3, 2023 at 6:56 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PresRDC
This. By far the best restaurant in Burlington proper IMO. BTV has much better beer options than it does for food. I’ve generally been underwhelmed by the options in Burlington compared to another New England small city (PWM) that similarly has a good beer scene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.