Reload this Page >

Best Lobster Roll for Newbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lobster Roll for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:34 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Oh heck no. That's not worth a 20 minute drive (flavored lobster rolls?) never mind a 2 hour drive!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Coastal Connecticut Options/Favorites

Hi All:

Heading up to New London/Mystic this weekend, driving up I-95 from NYC. Just wanted to see if anyone had a favorite place for lobster rolls (Connecticut-style) these days, especially considering COVOD-19 restrictions/reduced service.

We have been to Abbott's in Noank in the past and will likely head there unless there's other suggestions for us to consider.

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Hi All:

Heading up to New London/Mystic this weekend, driving up I-95 from NYC. Just wanted to see if anyone had a favorite place for lobster rolls (Connecticut-style) these days, especially considering COVOD-19 restrictions/reduced service.

We have been to Abbott's in Noank in the past and will likely head there unless there's other suggestions for us to consider.

Thanks!
Captain Scott's Lobster Dock, in New London. I don't recall if I've ever had their lobster roll, but I routinely get excellent fried clams there.
I was just there a few weeks ago. The line was long but moved reasonably quickly.
The whole belly fried clams (just say no to "clam strips") were excellent, though I didn't care for the onion rings. Way too much batter.

Edited to add:

I also stopped once at Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale, right off of I-95 in New Haven, for fried clams, which I enjoyed very much. I didn't try their lobster roll, but this is another place I certainly would consider trying. Lenny & Joe's is a sit-down restaurant, whereas Captain Scott's is a traditional New England-style seafood shack.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Blumie
Captain Scott's Lobster Dock, in New London.
Thanks for that; we went to Captain Scott's this past Saturday around 6 pm and waited in line for about an hour to order. It was a lovely evening with a nice breeze, so it wasn't that bad to wait. I did note some of the local pros who brought their own tablecloths and cutlery along with beer and wine to supplement their meals. Luckily, we had a soft-sided cooler in our car with some adult beverages in it so we fit right in. +1 had the large lobster roll and I had the large plate of fried shrimp and fries. Both were excellent and we were able to score a pair of high adirondack chairs facing the marina, which made for a really lovely evening. The ice cream wasn't amazing but hit the spot. I geeked out on spotting the power boats in the marina with the added plus of the Northeast Corridor trains going by and the operations of swing bridge over the cove.

We went to Abbott's on Sunday around 2 pm and the parking lot was a bit of a mess but I was able to find a space after one pass. The line to order was short, but it took a while for our orders to come out. It wasn't too hard to find a place to sit, if you were ok being out in the sun without shade. +1 had a similarly-sized lobster roll and I had a completely underwhelming short rib sandwich (serves me right for ordering that in the first place).

Overall, the vote was for Captain Scott's over Abbott's in the head-to-head lobster roll match-up. +1 thought the lobster was a little sweeter and it was a few bucks less than Abbott's. The bun at Abbott's held up a little better than Captain Scott's but both got pretty soggy towards the end.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Any recommendations of places along the coast in Maine between Kennebunkport and Kittery? Will be in that area for a couple weeks starting tomorrow.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any recommendations of places along the coast in Maine between Kennebunkport and Kittery? Will be in that area for a couple weeks starting tomorrow.
I’m a fried clams guy, so I can’t vouch for the lobster rolls, but I’ve always enjoyed The Clam Shack in Kennebunk (watch out for the diving seagulls stealing your food!) and Bob’s in Kittery. Ogunquit also offers lots of options, though I can’t remember which I’ve been to. I likely would just pick the ones with the best google reviews.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
For something non-traditional - particularly if you have non-lobster eaters in your party - Inn on the Blues in York has a very good but different roll.

I would also recommend getting whole steamed lobsters from the Beach Plum in Ogunquit - particularly if you are renting a house. Call ahead and just swing by and pick up. Go to Hannaford's grocery store for sides.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Maine Diner on Route 1 in Wells is not too far away from Kennebunkport. The food there is quite good.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 5:45 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Fox's Lobster House in York
Footbridge in Ogunquit
Chauncey Creek

All 3 are excellent

We were quite disappointed in Bob's when we tried it 2 years ago.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We were quite disappointed in Bob's when we tried it 2 years ago.
Just the lobster rolls or the place in general? Bob’s certainly is among the uglier Maine clam shacks, set among Kittery’s outlet mall hell. But I’ve always enjoyed their fried clams.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Just the lobster rolls or the place in general? Bob’s certainly is among the uglier Maine clam shacks, set among Kittery’s outlet mall hell. But I’ve always enjoyed their fried clams.
The lobster roll was our least favorite of many that we had on that journey. IIRC, we gave it 6 points on a scale of 10, where Red's Eats is an 11, and nothing else is better than a 9.5 (average grocery store roll is a 4, when McD's had theirs it was a 2.5)

Their fries were excellent as were their clams, and they were very friendly. If we gave or took points for ambience it would lose those, too, but that isn't in the calculation
Old Aug 27, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
The lobster roll was our least favorite of many that we had on that journey. IIRC, we gave it 6 points on a scale of 10, where Red's Eats is an 11, and nothing else is better than a 9.5 (average grocery store roll is a 4, when McD's had theirs it was a 2.5)

Their fries were excellent as were their clams, and they were very friendly. If we gave or took points for ambience it would lose those, too, but that isn't in the calculation
Cool. Your second paragraph -- as to food, service and ambience -- is completely consistent with my experience.

BTW, if one is in Kittery and prefers a sit-down meal rather than a clam shack, the Weathervane, across the street from Bob's, is a good alternative. The food isn't quite as good as Bob's, but you have the advantage of being seated in an air conditioned restaurant and being served! I'm sure there are other decent sit-down options up the coast as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.