Best Lobster Roll for Newbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire

My girlfriend and I (she a native Texan, me a native Bostonian who's been gone a while) are taking her aunt and uncle to BOS for a long weekend in late April. Girlfriend had been to BOS several times, tho not with me yet, A&U have never been. They are sophisticated, affluent people in lots of ways, but not very well traveled or adventurous food wise. They think nothing of dropping $500 on a random Friday night dinner, but it's usually a steak or Italian food. I'm also getting the impression they aren't going to be comfortable with the T or most other public transportation.

Should I just do the safe thing and take an Uber to James Hook? Any other close in town recommendations? I thought about the ferry over to Winthrop to go to Belle Isle, but I don't know if it will be running that early in the year or whether they'd be comfortable taking a boat to dinner. They're fun people, not even much older than GF and I, (we're early 50's, they're early 60's) but I get the sense they don't venture out of their comfort zone. I have most of the rest of the trip planned; rooms at The Liberty, Italian at Bricco or Lucca, a Sox game, informal walking tours hosted by yours truly, and lots of boozing in Irish and other old Boston pubs. Thanks for this and any other suggestions.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No need to take the Winthrop Ferry for Belle Isle, it's quite far away. Blue Line to Orient Heights and a 1 mile walk or cheap uber will get you there.

For an entry level roll, Hooks is pretty darn good. But they have limited hours, and you have to eat outside, IIRC, which might be tough in bad weather, not unlikely in April.

Any of the Luke's Lobster locations will give you an adequate roll, so will the mall "Boston Chowda" type places. Heck, I had a good lobster roll at Fenway Park once, but that was in someone else's suite. No idea what they have at the lobster roll place on "formerly known as Yawkey Way"

Summer Shack (near the Back Bay Hilton) and Legal's have pretty good options as well
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured Hook is a safe bet. It's cramped inside, but they do have a few tables for indoor dining, or at least did last time I was there.

As I said in the OP, these are fun people and I enjoy their company, they just aren't the adventurous type. I am gonna insist we take the T to the Sox game we're going to, for an authentic Boston baseball experience. The rest of the weekend will probably be walking and Ubers.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We really enjoyed lunch at Row 34 - not the "typical" lobster roll experience, but my husband did have one and he did love it ;-)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Atlantic Fish in Back Bay has excellent food including a good lobster roll. The ambiance sounds right for the aunt and uncle as well.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Neptune Oyster is very highly regarded but pretty much requires standing in line for an hour or more so likely not a good fit.

I like Yankee Lobster if you want a lobster shack-ish experience that's not James Hook. And they offer both hot and cold versions.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Neptune Oyster is very highly regarded but pretty much requires standing in line for an hour or more so likely not a good fit.

I like Yankee Lobster if you want a lobster shack-ish experience that's not James Hook. And they offer both hot and cold versions.
I had forgotten all about Yankee Lobster, thanks! I'm not crazy about the Seaport generally, but it might be worth a trek down there for a hot roll. I don't think Hook has a hot version?

We'll definitely hit up Neptune, as well. I know to go at an off hour, like 3 in the afternoon or so. Their oyster selection is usually one of the best, and I love their Johnny Cake.

Last edited by NotDuncan; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:02 am Reason: add text
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I’m a big fan of Neptune Oyster followed by cannoli. However, you can’t go wrong at Hook or Atlantic Fish Company.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Luke's Lobster has (in my opinion) the best lobster rolls in the city. They also make a great clam chowder.

They have a few locations - one downtown, one in the Back Bay, one in the seaport, perhaps others.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhl12
Luke's Lobster has (in my opinion) the best lobster rolls in the city. They also make a great clam chowder.

They have a few locations - one downtown, one in the Back Bay, one in the seaport, perhaps others.
Ok, another vote for Luke's. I have to admit, I've never heard of it. I've been gone a long time, and even though I get back once a year or every couple years, I tend to go to the same places.

I will look them up. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:19 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Lukes is good, for a chain, but from my experience you won't see any tail meat there. Just claw and knuckle.

$21 when I went to the one in Downtown Crossing in the fall, includes potato chips or slaw and a drink. $29 at Belle Isle gets you twice as much meat, with tons of tailmeat, plus a choice of fries/rings/slaw/rice, no drink. Worth the extra money for much better and freshly picked meat.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Lukes is good, for a chain, but from my experience you won't see any tail meat there. Just claw and knuckle.

$21 when I went to the one in Downtown Crossing in the fall, includes potato chips or slaw and a drink. $29 at Belle Isle gets you twice as much meat, with tons of tailmeat, plus a choice of fries/rings/slaw/rice, no drink. Worth the extra money for much better and freshly picked meat.
I think you're spot on, OomE. I'm twisting myself into knots over this trip, and I should stop. These people are very influential in my GF's life, and I'm trying to make it a great trip for them. It's my hometown tho, and they're gonna need to trust me and go and do what I tell them to do.

Do you happen to know if the Plough and Stars is still around? I lived in Cambridge for a while in the 90's, and it was one of my regular watering holes.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
It is. So is Toad.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
It is. So is Toad.
Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
As I said in the OP, these are fun people and I enjoy their company, they just aren't the adventurous type. I am gonna insist we take the T to the Sox game we're going to, for an authentic Boston baseball experience.
How is the T “more adventurous” than Boston traffic?
octr202 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.