Best Lobster Roll for Newbies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lobster Roll for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kale73
How is the T “more adventurous” than Boston traffic?
For one thing, the crowd at the Kenmore Square T station after the game is something the visitors should(?) experience.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Efrem
For one thing, the crowd at the Kenmore Square T station after the game is something the visitors should(?) experience.
I guess if one wants to spend time in a real-life rendition of Mos Eisley's cantina, yes. Otherwise, best not to.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Based on your description of your girlfriend's family -- "They are sophisticated, affluent people in lots of ways, but not very well traveled or adventurous food wise. They think nothing of dropping $500 on a random Friday night dinner, but it's usually a steak or Italian food. I'm also getting the impression they aren't going to be comfortable with the T or most other public transportation." -- though we might dispute your use of the word sophisticated, I am thinking that a fancier, sit-down restaurant might be a better choice than the down-and-dirty lobster roll places so many of us love. So maybe a place like Neptune Oyster (although with the Sox in town, that might be chaotic), or erstwhile favorite B&G Oysters, or some other similar place where one can make a reservation, order from the wait staff, and sit in a relaxed environment with a cocktail, a glass of wine, and/or a beer.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Blumie
Based on your description of your girlfriend's family -- "They are sophisticated, affluent people in lots of ways, but not very well traveled or adventurous food wise. They think nothing of dropping $500 on a random Friday night dinner, but it's usually a steak or Italian food. I'm also getting the impression they aren't going to be comfortable with the T or most other public transportation." -- though we might dispute your use of the word sophisticated, I am thinking that a fancier, sit-down restaurant might be a better choice than the down-and-dirty lobster roll places so many of us love. So maybe a place like Neptune Oyster (although with the Sox in town, that might be chaotic), or erstwhile favorite B&G Oysters, or some other similar place where one can make a reservation, order from the wait staff, and sit in a relaxed environment with a cocktail, a glass of wine, and/or a beer.

I am planning on going to Neptune Oyster, it's always a must-visit when I'm in town. Is it really that affected by Sox games tho? Or did you reverse Neptune and B&G?

What I meant about being sophisticated, they are cultured and intelligent, I think they just like to stick to their routines.They aren't rubes. Plus, Uncle commutes every week DFW-MFE, Sunday-Thursday. He's a bank president, and spends the week in a condo they own, but that isn't much more than a glorified studio apartment. So who knows, maybe he's more attached to the comforts of home and familiarity.

Last edited by NotDuncan; Feb 2, 2020 at 9:43 am Reason: clean up some Sunday morning hangover grammar
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Efrem
Eh, I usually prefer to experience the crowd at the Cask & Flagon. Unlike the Kenmore T station, they have booze!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
You can usually get booze at the Kenmore T Station, just have to know the right gentlemen who reside there
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I am planning on going to Neptune Oyster, it's always a must-visit when I'm in town. Is it really that affected by Sox games tho? Or did you reverse Neptune and B&G?

What I meant about being sophisticated, they are cultured and intelligent, I think they just like to stick to their routines.They aren't rubes. Plus, Uncle commutes every week DFW-MFE, Sunday-Thursday. He's a bank president, and spends the week in a condo they own, but that isn't much more than a glorified studio apartment. So who knows, maybe he's more attached to the comforts of home and familiarity.
Sorry, I meant Oyster Creek, not Neptune. My thinking is to go to a place (1) that is relatively upscale, (2) where they take reservations, and (3) where you can enjoy a relatively relaxed experience. My concern would be that places like Neptune or more downscale places might be too chaotic and/or too down-and-dirty for how you describe you girlfriend's family. I, too, am somewhat out of touch with the lobster roll places "du moment," but based on what you describe my top choices would be B&G (with a reservation) or Island Creek (non-game day with a reservation). Your call of course.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Sorry, I meant Oyster Creek, not Neptune. My thinking is to go to a place (1) that is relatively upscale, (2) where they take reservations, and (3) where you can enjoy a relatively relaxed experience. My concern would be that places like Neptune or more downscale places might be too chaotic and/or too down-and-dirty for how you describe you girlfriend's family. I, too, am somewhat out of touch with the lobster roll places "du moment," but based on what you describe my top choices would be B&G (with a reservation) or Island Creek (non-game day with a reservation). Your call of course.
Ok, thanks for the input. We're only there for a long weekend, so unfortunately every day will be a game day. I've never been to Island Creek (probably because the only time I'm in Kenmore Square is on the way to a game!)

Bricco or Lucca for a meal in the North End, or do you have another idea? I trust your opinions on food and dining. I used to love The Pushcart years ago, in it's original location, but haven't been since it moved during (?) the Big Dig. I'm not sure it's even still around, tbh.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:38 am

If you are going to a Red Sox game there is a branch of Eventide near Fenway. Though not traditional they do make a good lobster roll and the rest of the menu is great too. It's a good option for newbies because they are of manageable size and can be done in half size. Lot's of great suggestions otherwise.....enjoy your trip !

Also wanted to add that if money is not much of an issue then I would recommend Prezza in the North End.

Last edited by space pilot; Feb 7, 2020 at 5:02 am
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: All of the above
Neptune is my favorite(they do both hot and cold) and I have not had much of a problem around 2-3. Also, Saltie girl in the back bay is good as well. If you are near Fenway, try the new TimeOut food hall where vetted chefs have opened up take out restaurants with communal seating. Cocktail and wine bars there as well. I know Saltie Girl does a somewhat smaller version, but delicious. and Craig on Main from Cambridge has Craig burgers etc. Eventide and B&G are also smart choices

Last edited by flylinda; Feb 10, 2020 at 1:17 pm Reason: addition
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If you want good and cheap, Sullivan's Castle Island serves a decent lobster roll.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:24 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by diburning
If you want good and cheap, Sullivan's Castle Island serves a decent lobster roll.
In season, that is a good option. Right about now, even though it *feels* like spring, they are closed. But will be open for the OP, and Castle Island is a treasure
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I had the opportunity to try back to back, the lobster roll at Luke's and at ICOB. Both of the warm buttered type. The ICOB was bigger, juicier, and just overall better than the one at Luke's. But risk adjusting for the price point ($36 at ICOB! and $21 at Luke's), I'd say they are equivalent. So if you don't mind paying 40 bucks for a lobster roll, ICOB is most fine. And if you do, Luke's is a perfectly good value-for-money alternative.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I had the opportunity to try back to back, the lobster roll at Luke's and at ICOB. Both of the warm buttered type. The ICOB was bigger, juicier, and just overall better than the one at Luke's. But risk adjusting for the price point ($36 at ICOB! and $21 at Luke's), I'd say they are equivalent. So if you don't mind paying 40 bucks for a lobster roll, ICOB is most fine. And if you do, Luke's is a perfectly good value-for-money alternative.
I continue to be of the view, given the OP’s description of his GF’s parents, that he should lean more upscale, and on that basis I would endorse the ICOB recommendation. (I had mentioned B&G, a restaurant I’ve always loved, in my earlier post in this thread, but in fairness I haven’t been in some time.)
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Drive 2 hours to Portland, Maine and go to 'A Bite Into Maine' food truck at Fort Williams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.