Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Fenway: Best/quickest way to airport immediately after game?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello! I have decided to fly my boyfriend and myself to a Red Sox game for his birthday on Saturday, August 23rd. Our return flight is pretty tight after the game, so I was looking for a recommendation on how to get to the airport in time. The game is at 1:35. I'm thinking (hoping) it will be over by 4:35ish. Our flight is at 7:05. It seems like getting a cab isn't an option (although it would be preferable). Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:55 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Take the train to downtown and cab, or to the airport itself. The highways and storrow drive are packaged around games.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Best option would be to walk to Copley square. You can easily find a cab at any of the hotels and the traffic won't be bad to get to the airport from there.

-A
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your query is specific to Boston, the thread has been moved to the New England destination forum where it will hopefully receive more knowledgable attention.

NOTE: This thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk — please reply accordingly.

Thanks all, and safe travels to OP!

~Moderator, Information Desk.

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:07 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Anaom
Best option would be to walk to Copley square. You can easily find a cab at any of the hotels and the traffic won't be bad to get to the airport from there.

-A
I agree with this. If you stay until the end of the game (and Sox games average about 3:15 minutes) the area around the park, including Kenmore Square and the MBTA, is a zoo. If you leave a bit early you can probably get a cab at one of the Kenmore Square hotels. Otherwise, you do need to walk about 15 minutes to Copley to ensure a cab.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Agreed on walking a bit from Fenway, though don't forget about the Logan Express that runs from Back Bay to Logan. Can pick it up at Hynes.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...ress/back-bay/
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
At the rate things are going, Fenway won't be crowded at all for late August games.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:25 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
At the rate things are going, Fenway won't be crowded at all for late August games.
Tickets are sold. Heck, there were still lots of folks there in the 9th inning last night.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:58 pm

Including me but that was a somnolent crowd.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:59 pm

Including me but that was a somnolent crowd. There will be increasing numbers of no shows once September hits.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:01 pm

Including me but that was a drowsy crowd. Will be lots of no shows come September maybe even late august.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Talking

Including me but that was a somnolent crowd.
Including me but that was a somnolent crowd. There will be increasing numbers of no shows once September hits.
Including me but that was a drowsy crowd. Will be lots of no shows come September maybe even late august.
Stayed a little too late at the Cask&Flagon after the game, didja?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cheesiefries
Hello! I have decided to fly my boyfriend and myself to a Red Sox game for his birthday on Saturday, August 23rd. Our return flight is pretty tight after the game, so I was looking for a recommendation on how to get to the airport in time. The game is at 1:35. I'm thinking (hoping) it will be over by 4:35ish. Our flight is at 7:05. It seems like getting a cab isn't an option (although it would be preferable). Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?
You really have plenty of time to get to Logan, even by public transportation.
If you hopped on the Green Line at Kenmore by around 5pm, you'd be at Logan no later than 6pm, and probably earlier, which is fine for a 7pm flight. If you prefer a taxi, head to Kenmore Square, and if you can't find one there, continue towards Copley Square; you'll find one eventually. Uber also is a good option (and possibly a better option than a taxi).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Stayed a little too late at the Cask&Flagon after the game, didja?

iPad was acting wonky.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
You really have plenty of time to get to Logan, even by public transportation.
If you hopped on the Green Line at Kenmore by around 5pm, you'd be at Logan no later than 6pm, and probably earlier, which is fine for a 7pm flight. If you prefer a taxi, head to Kenmore Square, and if you can't find one there, continue towards Copley Square; you'll find one eventually. Uber also is a good option (and possibly a better option than a taxi).
Considering the size of the crowds at Kenmore station after a game AND the fact that Government Center Station is closed (so no easy Green/Blue connection to the airport), and you still need to shuttle to your terminal from the airport station, I'd hesitate to tell someone they can get there in an hour from the ballpark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.