Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Fenway: Best/quickest way to airport immediately after game?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trip to Fenway: Best/quickest way to airport immediately after game?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Considering the size of the crowds at Kenmore station after a game AND the fact that Government Center Station is closed (so no easy Green/Blue connection to the airport), and you still need to shuttle to your terminal from the airport station, I'd hesitate to tell someone they can get there in an hour from the ballpark.
I take public transportation to Logan as much as anyone and am extremely confident in my advice. Green Line to Red Line at Park Street to Silver Line at South Station. No way, absent very unusual circumstances, does that take more than an hour. More likely 30-45 minutes once you board at Kenmore.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:31 am

I'd stick to the T to avoid any potential rush hour car traffic (lighter in the summer though), with some changes of lines, but without luggage, the quickest at that hour. You can see the route on mbta.com
Walk to Kenmore.
Green line trolley to Park Street.
Change to Red line subway train. Red line a couple of stops to South Station.
Change to Silver line bus (with its own tunnel) to airport.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
I'd stick to the T to avoid any potential rush hour car traffic (lighter in the summer though), with some changes of lines, but without luggage, the quickest at that hour. You can see the route on mbta.com
Walk to Kenmore.
Green line trolley to Park Street.
Change to Red line subway train. Red line a couple of stops to South Station.
Change to Silver line bus (with its own tunnel) to airport.
As my posts make clear, I think the OP can reliably get to Logan in less than an hour on the T. That said, a taxi will be quicker, if they can find one, so long as they don't hop in one stuck in a sea of humanity on Brookline Ave after the game.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Could be a short game if Sox don't have enough players to field a team.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Could be a short game if Sox don't have enough players to field a team.
The next two months will be VERY interesting. I may have to sneak in to the park tonight to see Ranaudo, though.

I think they were huge winners yesterday, overall.

Can't wait to see what kind of reception Stephen Drew gets when he returns to town with the Yankees tonight!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
The next two months will be VERY interesting. I may have to sneak in to the park tonight to see Ranaudo, though.

I think they were huge winners yesterday, overall.

Can't wait to see what kind of reception Stephen Drew gets when he returns to town with the Yankees tonight!
They should have him change uniforms at home plate before the game.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The last time I tried to ride the T after the game (July 7th of this year), it took a good hour and a half just to get from Kenmore to Boylston. There were extensive "traffic jams" (the driver's words) on the green line. At Boylston we just gave up and walked the rest of the way into downtown.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The last time I tried to ride the T after the game (July 7th of this year), it took a good hour and a half just to get from Kenmore to Boylston. There were extensive "traffic jams" (the driver's words) on the green line. At Boylston we just gave up and walked the rest of the way into downtown.
Well, as is always the case with public transportation, there always can be unusual circumstances that cause everything to get screwed up. Of course, that's true when driving too. I will report that in 40 years of riding the T, including after countless baseball games, I never have experienced a delay like that. (On the other hand, although not frequent, I can clearly remember delays like that when driving, usually due to an accident in one of the tunnels.) Clearly there was something going on beyond simply traffic in the train tunnels.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's worth letting to OP know that Government Center T station is closed, hence no Green Line-Blue Line transfer, which was the old-school quick route to the airport. Not all T maps around the system indicate the closure.

The Green-Red-Silver route is more laborious, with more waiting around at South Station, but takes you directly to the terminals which is a plus over the Blue Line.

Two additional thoughts:

1. You can dodge the big crowd massing for the inbound Green Line at Kenmore by crossing Commonwealth and using the less-trafficked entrance in front of Cornwall's pub.

2. Arriving at Logan one hour before flight time may or may not be cutting it fine depending on what airline / terminal you're on. There are alarming reports about United / Terminal B security taking much longer than expected. JetBlue out of Terminal C at that hour should be OK, however, in my experience. Shot through there in 10 minutes after a Sox game myself a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's worth letting to OP know that Government Center T station is closed.
This is good to know. Thanks! I hope the people operating the construction don't follow the disastrous lead of the Big Dig and milk the project for over a decade.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Isn't there some sort of Back Bay-Airport express bus? I could have sworn I saw one recently and wanted to try it.

Edit: Yep, here it is.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's worth letting to OP know that Government Center T station is closed, hence no Green Line-Blue Line transfer, which was the old-school quick route to the airport. Not all T maps around the system indicate the closure.

The Green-Red-Silver route is more laborious, with more waiting around at South Station, but takes you directly to the terminals which is a plus over the Blue Line.

Two additional thoughts:

1. You can dodge the big crowd massing for the inbound Green Line at Kenmore by crossing Commonwealth and using the less-trafficked entrance in front of Cornwall's pub.

2. Arriving at Logan one hour before flight time may or may not be cutting it fine depending on what airline / terminal you're on. There are alarming reports about United / Terminal B security taking much longer than expected. JetBlue out of Terminal C at that hour should be OK, however, in my experience. Shot through there in 10 minutes after a Sox game myself a few weeks ago.
Funny how our collective experiences differ. To me, transferring to the Red Line to the Silver Line is preferable to transferring to the Blue Line to the MassPort shuttle bus, even when the Government Center station is open. In any event, I disagree with the "more laborious" and "more waiting around" characterizations. At worst, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I also think arriving at Logan an hour ahead of the flight, particularly on a Saturday evening, will be perfectly adequate, especially if they already have their boarding passes in hand.

Originally Posted by tkey75
Isn't there some sort of Back Bay-Airport express bus? I could have sworn I saw one recently and wanted to try it.

Edit: Yep, here it is.
Great call. I haven't tried this yet, but I imagine this is the right answer!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
This is good to know. Thanks! I hope the people operating the construction don't follow the disastrous lead of the Big Dig and milk the project for over a decade.
Just another left wing government conspiracy, Analise.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
Just another left wing government conspiracy, Analise.
Your reasoning for the colossal waste that defines the Big Dig? Or did you just want to lengthen this thread?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Blumie
Funny how our collective experiences differ. To me, transferring to the Red Line to the Silver Line is preferable to transferring to the Blue Line to the MassPort shuttle bus, even when the Government Center station is open. In any event, I disagree with the "more laborious" and "more waiting around" characterizations. At worst, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I also think arriving at Logan an hour ahead of the flight, particularly on a Saturday evening, will be perfectly adequate, especially if they already have their boarding passes in hand.
All fair comment. ^ This whole thing is one big case of YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.