Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Baby-friendly lodging in Vermont/Western Mass.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm trying to plan an early October trip to Vermont and/or Western Mass with wife and a baby who will be 5 months old then. The goal is to spend 4-5 days enjoying nature in small towns, and relaxing. We'll do an activity here or there, but we won't have too strict a pre-determined agenda.

Anyone have any experience with a baby-friendly hotel or a B&B (i.e., a place where an infant on the premises won't interfere with the experience of other guests)? Ideally, I'm hoping to find a place where we can enjoy sitting on a porch after the kid goes to sleep, which would lean towards a B&B. We are pretty open as to which town we base ourselves.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

My original question was pretty specific, so maybe people can share input on a broader question. Which towns are recommended to use as a base to explore Vermont? Looking for a nice-feeling small town. (We visited Boothbay Harbor, ME, a few years ago, and that was perfect for us, as a point of reference.)

As far as location, we might want to visit some or all of the following: Dartmouth, the Northeast Kingdom, Burlington, Route 100, and Cabot. I was reading good things about Woodstock, but then I saw some few comments on FT that Woodstock is over-touristy and over-run, especially in fall.

Is Montpelier a charming place? Waterbury?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I like the Waterbury/Stowe area - not overrun with tourists and you get a real Vermont feel to it. Should be plenty of things to do (including Ben & Jerry's, the Alchemist, Hen of the Woods, Waitsfield farmer's market, American Flatbreads). Can't really recommend inns since I stay with friends but you'll want to book early since it's prime leaf season. Good base for going up to Burlington too.

I don't think Woodstock/Quechee is too touristy but sort of feel that way about Manchester.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:52 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I would concur with the Waterbury suggestion and I also think there are plenty of places along US Route 4 (like Quechee which was mentioned) that are good places to stop, even if Woodstock isn't necessarily one of them.

It is a busy time of year that you'd be going, but as long as you catch some foliage scenery in the NEK (assuming the foliage hasn't gone past by the time you go - make sure to find out where there's still color in the days before you travel) and hit the other places you mentioned, you'll have a successful trip.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
My wife and I have been taking our kids to the Equinox resort in Manchester since they were very young - the hotel and its restaurants are very family-friendly, and they've got a nice indoor pool for rainy days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.