Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
I'm thinking Haraseeket Lobster in particular.
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I would have guessed that the better known lobster shacks would be the last to reduce their prices. Driving around, however, you'll see lots of markets selling live lobster at ridiculously low prices.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I would have guessed that the better known lobster shacks would be the last to reduce their prices. Driving around, however, you'll see lots of markets selling live lobster at ridiculously low prices.
Ok. Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
I read that article along with a similar article in the WSJ; I think they were both published the same week. Both articles did state that there is a glut of softshell lobster. If that glut is still around, I hope that the lower pricing is reflected in the open-ended "market prices" of lobster at a lobster shack. I'm thinking Haraseeket Lobster in particular.
Last week $1.99 for soft shell ones ( ~ 1 lb) in Port-Clyde and $ 2.99 on Sprucehead island - both nearby Rockland

I bought hard-shell ones at Jess in Rockland ~ $5.00
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:51 pm

In the Portland area they are anywhere from $3.49 to $4.99/lb
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We refused to pay the overcharge for lobsters that restaurants want and know they can get due to the tourists.

Saw this last week before we went to Maine: http://www.pressherald.com/news/pay-...=lobster+shack

I hate the Lobster Shack anyway but now this article shows even more why we avoid that place. They bilk the tourists.

We saw high prices all over the place so we bought $4/lb lobsters and went to a friends home for dinner. 2 lb lobsters for $8? Are you kidding? Also stopped at some farmers' stands for corn on the cob and had a great time all around. ^

We also enjoyed Pumpkinhead every evening at Dock Fore at Happy Hour. $1.95 draughts. Are you kidding? Plus they had fresh vegetables along with cheese and crackers as munchies. That Happy Hour is from 3-7pm daily, we liked very much!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We refused to pay the overcharge for lobsters that restaurants want and know they can get due to the tourists.

Saw this last week before we went to Maine: http://www.pressherald.com/news/pay-...=lobster+shack

I hate the Lobster Shack anyway but now this article shows even more why we avoid that place. They bilk the tourists.

We saw high prices all over the place so we bought $4/lb lobsters and went to a friends home for dinner. 2 lb lobsters for $8? Are you kidding? Also stopped at some farmers' stands for corn on the cob and had a great time all around. ^

We also enjoyed Pumpkinhead every evening at Dock Fore at Happy Hour. $1.95 draughts. Are you kidding? Plus they had fresh vegetables along with cheese and crackers as munchies. That Happy Hour is from 3-7pm daily, we liked very much!
Apparently, no. They are not kidding.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:11 pm

We will be arriving at PWM and driving to Castine. I just called the stores near Bucksport and they are selling softshell lobsters (~2lbs) for $6 a lb. I think that's high.
Are there any places along the road we should stop by where they are cheaper? We need 6 lobsters.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:51 pm

Most of the places along Commercial Street in Portland are right around $3.79 - $3.99/lb

http://www.freerangefish.com/

They are about 10 mins away from the airport

The prices I see on the website are for shipping to other places. I go past this place everyday - and today it was $3.99/lb
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:56 am

I am looking for suggestions on inns or hotels or b&bs in Southwest Harbor or Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert island. I will not have a car, so I want something within a mile from town. Also, I'm trying to keep the cost to under $150 per night, preferably closer to $100. I'd thought about Bar Harbor, but I hear that its so touristy. plus, I'll be ferrying over to Great Cranberry Island for a few days after my stay at Southwest/Northeast Harbor (I'll be renting a house on GCI), and the ferries leave from those towns. Airbnb/Homeaway isn't really helpful because most want weekly rentals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by katstarr
I am looking for suggestions on inns or hotels or b&bs in Southwest Harbor or Northeast Harbor on Mount Desert island. I will not have a car, so I want something within a mile from town. Also, I'm trying to keep the cost to under $150 per night, preferably closer to $100. I'd thought about Bar Harbor, but I hear that its so touristy. plus, I'll be ferrying over to Great Cranberry Island for a few days after my stay at Southwest/Northeast Harbor (I'll be renting a house on GCI), and the ferries leave from those towns. Airbnb/Homeaway isn't really helpful because most want weekly rentals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When were you looking at going? The cost can vary quickly. There are cabs that run from MDI to Ellsworth to Bangor. From Bangor you can get to most any where in the state.

RTE 1A around the Trenton area is loaded with motels. But not exactly within walking distance (and I would urge you against walking). It can easily be a 20 minute drive with traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.