Wiki Posts
Search

Driving to Portland leaving NYC at 5:30am Friday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Driving to Portland leaving NYC at 5:30am Friday

Any construction zones in CT and MA to avoid? Thanks. Typically we go FDR, new Willis Av bridge, Deegan, Cross County, Hutch, Merritt, 91, 84, 90, 290, 495, 95.

We're thinking of two diversions:

1. Taking 95 instead of Merritt to Milford Connector to Merrit/Wilbur Cross
2. Staying on 90 to 495.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I don't think you'll encounter any problems, but why are you thinking of staying on 95 instead of the Merritt? I find the Merritt so much nicer.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

The hills and sharp turns of the Merritt force you to use the breaks a lot.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Analise
But the traffic on 95 doesn't?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
But the traffic on 95 doesn't?
Exactly! I find the drive on the Merritt to be much nicer and more relaxing than 95. Everytime I opt for 95 I end up sorry that I did.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

We took the Merritt northbound Friday morning...easy. We took it yesterday after sundown. The headlights facing us were at times blinding...for both of us. But we took the Merritt b/c 95 was backed up.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:11 pm

We took the Merritt northbound Friday morning...easy. We took it yesterday after sundown. The headlights facing us were at times blinding...for both of us. But we took the Merritt b/c 95 was backed up.
Told ya so.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Told ya so.
Well, being blinded was better than being stuck in traffic.

Although, a car pulled over when there wasn't really a shoulder and thus backed up the traffic for about 2 miles. We were lucky we weren't stuck even further back from that. Why he couldn't pull off maybe 20 feet before that and get into a grassy area is a mystery.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:16 pm

Although, a car pulled over when there wasn't really a shoulder and thus backed up the traffic for about 2 miles. We were lucky we weren't stuck even further back from that. Why he couldn't pull off maybe 20 feet before that and get into a grassy area is a mystery.
Yeah that's an issue, the lack of a shoulder. Also the Mobil stations are dangerous, I think. I've seen a lot of close calls with people pulling into traffic after fueling up.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
... Also the Mobil stations are dangerous, I think. I've seen a lot of close calls with people pulling into traffic after fueling up.
That can be bad, but the worst ones I've seen (fortunately all close calls, so far) are between a car pulling away from the pumps, moving left to re-enter the roadway, and a car driving past the pumps toward the parking area past the building on the right. They don't build service areas like that any more, but they also use a lot more real estate for them these days. There's probably no practical way to redesign those relics to avoid the problem.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
That can be bad, but the worst ones I've seen (fortunately all close calls, so far) are between a car pulling away from the pumps, moving left to re-enter the roadway, and a car driving past the pumps toward the parking area past the building on the right.
+1 I've seen that as well. I try to avoid those stations whenever possible. Will often refuel at the Yonkers exit on the Hutchinson when returning a Hertz car in Manhattan. (There is a gas station about 50 yards past the exit).
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've posted in other recent threads, I don't get this whole blinded by oncoming headlights things. I drive the Merritt all the time, often at night, and have never once noticed a problem, even when consciously trying to pay attention for it. Maybe you and your hubby just have sensitive eyes!

Yeah that's an issue, the lack of a shoulder. Also the Mobil stations are dangerous, I think. I've seen a lot of close calls with people pulling into traffic after fueling up.
It's not just the Mobil Stations. Many (most?) of the entrances to the Merritt do not have lanes permitting cars to get up to highway speed when entering the roadway; they require the cars to enter from a standing stop. Courteous drivers already on the highway will move to the left, when possible, to give entering cars more room.

This notwithstanding, compared to the parking lot they call I-95, I <heart> the Merritt!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Blumie
I don't get this whole blinded by oncoming headlights things. I drive the Merritt all the time, often at night, and have never once noticed a problem, even when consciously trying to pay attention for it.
The oncoming-headlinghts thing is a real problem for me during dark hours, especially on the Merriitt where the lanes are close together. The road feels claustrophobic to me at night and it's difficult to see ahead because of the glare. Add in the short merges and I'll take I-95 when the sun's not up unless it's well and truly jammed.

If the OP departs NYC at 5:30a heading north, and hits no undue traffic, he ought to be passing through New Haven around 700a and make Portland by 1100a.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
The oncoming-headlinghts thing is a real problem for me during dark hours, especially on the Merriitt where the lanes are close together. The road feels claustrophobic to me at night and it's difficult to see ahead because of the glare. Add in the short merges and I'll take I-95 when the sun's not up unless it's well and truly jammed.
I can understand that the Merritt, particularly at night -- and especially if it's raining or snowing -- is not for everyone. But I did drive it at night about half a dozen times in the last month, trying to pay attention to the oncoming glare, and I just didn't see any problem at all. And everytime I decide to take 95, I'm sorry I did.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
As I've posted in other recent threads, I don't get this whole blinded by oncoming headlights things. I drive the Merritt all the time, often at night, and have never once noticed a problem, even when consciously trying to pay attention for it. Maybe you and your hubby just have sensitive eyes!
Originally Posted by BearX220
The oncoming-headlinghts thing is a real problem for me during dark hours, especially on the Merriitt where the lanes are close together. The road feels claustrophobic to me at night and it's difficult to see ahead because of the glare.
Looks like it is not just my hubby and I. Maybe one needs to be acclimated to the glare.

Add in the short merges and I'll take I-95 when the sun's not up unless it's well and truly jammed.
That was the case with us. 95 had problems so we just drove in the right lane of the Merritt and had to deal with cars from the Mobil stations and the short on ramps (if they are even long enough to call 'ramps). The Wilbur Cross portion isn't that bad.

If the OP departs NYC at 5:30a heading north, and hits no undue traffic, he ought to be passing through New Haven around 700a and make Portland by 1100a.
We were in Kittery by 10:00am last Friday. We then did some shopping, had lunch at Bob's Clam Hut (early lunch), and then drove to Cape Elizabeth. We made good time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.