Wiki Posts
Search

NE Road Construction Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
NE Road Construction Thread

So, it appears that the Merritt Parkway is under some inconvenient construction. Also, as I have to do the drive today, I'm wondering what the status of I-291 in CT is.

Would it make sense for a thread that mentions road construction/conditions?

If anyone has info on the two I listed, please post.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Connecticut's interactive traffic map is here

http://www.dotdata.ct.gov/iti/master_iti.html

and you can also sign up at the dot site for twitter and e-mail updates for any accidents. They don't cover construction though, but look like this

I-95 Southbound is congested between Exits 26 and 22 (2.9 miles) because of Disabled Vehicle (Tractor Trailer) between Exits 23 and 22 (0.6 miles). The center lane is closed. Reported Monday, July 12 at 9:26 am.
Estimated time to clear: 1/2 hour or less

And will issue updates as necessary until it's clear.

Connecticut traffic cameras which will of course also show the delays caused by construction are here

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a...90242&dotNav=|

for parts of 95, 91, 84 and 8.

Also great in the winter to see road conditions from winter storms along the way.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:50 pm

I've always sworn by SmarTraveler living in Boston. They used to have a great phone in service with recorded traffic updates, 617-374-1234, but the state recently cut it to save money in favor of an automated line that you can reach by calling 511. The new 511 one just isn't very useful since it tells you the speed traffic is flowing at, not the time it will take, and it only tells you exit #s, not exit names and landmarks that everyone knows.

In any event, SmarTraveler also lists info about construction and events occurring that will affect traffic in town.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Well, I found out last night that 10PM is not the time to take I-91 from Springfield toward Hartford. I hit three different places that got choked to one lane, and was heading for at least a fourth when I bailed at exit 44 and cut the corner that way.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

495 still has construction in which one of the southbound lanes is temporarily a NB lane. When I drive it north on Friday morning, the backup was about 2 miles. I don't know the exact location but it's between 290 and 93.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
495 still has construction in which one of the southbound lanes is temporarily a NB lane. When I drive it north on Friday morning, the backup was about 2 miles. I don't know the exact location but it's between 290 and 93.
From Lowell to Lawrence, there is construction NB on and off on 495 from Rt 3 to 93. Plus Lawrence is always terrible because of the bridge. No good way around, however.

another resource for Boston area traffic here http://www.boston.com/traffic/
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OB one
From Lowell to Lawrence, there is construction NB on and off on 495 from Rt 3 to 93. Plus Lawrence is always terrible because of the bridge. No good way around, however.
Any idea how long this construction will last?

another resource for Boston area traffic here
http://www.boston.com/traffic/
Thanks. Will this cover the traffic from the Mass Pike exit for 84 all the way to the top of 495? Yup, I know, wishful thinking.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
Any idea how long this construction will last?
at least til the Fall. Knowing my state, likely longer.

Thanks. Will this cover the traffic from the Mass Pike exit for 84 all the way to the top of 495? Yup, I know, wishful thinking.
It will get you 290 info and 495 but your best best for the 84/90 interchange is probably here. And, as always, there is lots of resurfacing going on on 290 through Worcester but the major construction is over.

and I have not tried it yet, but MA has a 511 program that allows access to traffic conditons from your mobile here. I think it is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.