Search

Boston in October

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
Boston in October

Hey there,
The parents are heading to Boston for three days as part of the their first trip to the USA.

They are looking at the 12th to 15th of Oct and amazed at the prices. I was hoping we could something in the Back Bay area around the $130 mark a night for something ok but everything is much more than that.

Are we missing something? Is there some event on that is not general knowledge?

At this point we are probably going to get a room at The Christopher then just hang out and watch the prices. With luck they will drop.

Other than that they are very excited to visit Boston after hearing many good things.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Hotels in downtown Boston are not cheap and Back Bay is never cheap.

There could be specific factors for those dates such as this is normally when baseball playoffs are of which the Red Sox are usually in the hunt, but really not sure. The Head of the Charles crew races would normally be the weekend after.

Best bet is to list some of the qualities that are wanted and we might be able to give some suggestions. The subway is fairly easy and expansive so getting around should be easy. If price is a big deciding factor, might be best to broaden view making sure it is close to the "T".

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

An October weekend in Boston is a lot of fun! I'm not surprised at all that it's hard to book a room.

Try priceline or quikbook
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Leaves are changing color then.

that's also Columbus Day weekend I believe.

I'm fairly shocked you were even able to find rooms, it's a very popular time.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
An October weekend in Boston is a lot of fun! I'm not surprised at all that it's hard to book a room.
Except the dates the OP is looking for are midweek. That said, these dates follow the Columbus Day weekend and that is almost always peak season for leaf peepers. In addition, many colleges have homecoming weekends around those dates and with the Head of the Charles the next weekend, rowers have to arrive early to rig their boats. I'm with Analise, try Priceline. Back Bay proper will be expensive. $130 a night will have you commuting in from the side of some highway in the 'burbs.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
Thank you all, that explains it nicely. I will advise the parents.

In terms of accommodation they would be happy with nice hotel or short stay apt that is within a 5 min walk to the T then about 10 min from downtown. They are used to staying in pensions in Europe so being a little out of town is ok so long as public transport is easily accessible. They don’t need turndown service nor a daily maid service. Obviously being in an interesting neighbourhood is also a plus which makes me think that around Harvard or Cambridge might be an option…….

Anyway, thanks again for your assistance.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
The John Jeffries House is pricing out at $139/$148 for the dates you quoted and it is right in the middle of Beacon Hill. Continental breakfast is included and many of the rooms have kitchenettes. Beacon Hill is a good location and you can walk to Cambridge from there and you are also located very near the Red Line. I haven't stayed there myself, but used to book corporate guests here and they were always very pleased. http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Hi,

Expedia.com shows the Days Hotel-Boston/Cambridge at 127.20 per night for your dates (after 20% off for early booking), the map show it 600 yards away from Harvard Stadium and across the bridge from the main Harvard campus, where there is a T (subway) stop.

Guest reviews are mixed but overall positive (3.4 out of 5), maybe the FlyerTalk community can help here ?

Cheers,
J-
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JudgeJ
Hi,

Expedia.com shows the Days Hotel-Boston/Cambridge at 127.20 per night for your dates (after 20% off for early booking), the map show it 600 yards away from Harvard Stadium and across the bridge from the main Harvard campus, where there is a T (subway) stop.

Guest reviews are mixed but overall positive (3.4 out of 5), maybe the FlyerTalk community can help here ?

Cheers,
J-
I'd steer clear of the Day's Inn. There's NOTHING in that neck of the woods - no T station, nothing interesting within walking distance. It's just a busy road in front of the hotel with an IHOP on one side and a small strip mall with a Staples and liquor store. Your best bet would be to take a bus into Cambridge/Harvard Square to get around town. Plus, IMO, that establishment has always looked a bit sketchy/seedy. Just my two cents...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JudgeJ
Hi,

Cheers,
J-
As JY1024 advised, I agree you should stay elsewhere. Hotwire or Priceline would probably be your best bets, and I would also check Betterbidding to review bid and placement history to get a good idea of where would may end up staying. A quick Hotwire search reveals $165/night (+17% hotel tax) 3.5* in Back Bay/Copley place. You may consider staying in the Theather District which is fairly close by and may be cheaper.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
Although it's a bit above your range at $165, we have found the Copley Inn to be very well located (close to green line and Copley Station) and very affordable for the neighborhood. Check out www.copleyinn.com. Owners and staff are friendly and helpful with suggestions.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MilesMark
Although it's a bit above your range at $165, we have found the Copley Inn to be very well located (close to green line and Copley Station) and very affordable for the neighborhood. Check out www.copleyinn.com. Owners and staff are friendly and helpful with suggestions.
I don't know anything specific about the Copley Inn, but I'm very familiar with its location. It's in a beautiful residential area, an easy walk to the Copley Square/Back Bay area and the South End (a lovely neighborhood with great restaurants). Also, in addition to being close to the green line, it's also walking distance to Back Bay Station (orange line, commuter rail and Amtrak).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OB one
Except the dates the OP is looking for are midweek. That said, these dates follow the Columbus Day weekend and that is almost always peak season for leaf peepers. In addition, many colleges have homecoming weekends around those dates and with the Head of the Charles the next weekend, rowers have to arrive early to rig their boats. I'm with Analise, try Priceline. Back Bay proper will be expensive. $130 a night will have you commuting in from the side of some highway in the 'burbs.
You hit it right on the head. All those events plus possible conventions in the area spell $$$$.

In general, in large cities, hotel rates are higher weekdays than weekends (with some exceptions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.