Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:24 pm

Have you tried with chrysler 300s or dodge challenger? Both should fit two 28 inch luggage plus two carry-ons, surprised they pointed out a passat with smaller trunk...
xienon, kxc262 and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jizen
Have you tried with chrysler 300s or dodge challenger? Both should fit two 28 inch luggage plus two carry-ons, surprised they pointed out a passat with smaller trunk...
We actually tried the 300 on executive and it was smaller than the passat that we tried. We could squeeze the 2 big bags in, and possibly a 3rd carryon but it was a hard shut on the trunk to get it to close. The 4th bag wasn't a chance.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Was visiting parents and saw a challenger and 300 which was surprising. Haven’t seen those at national before — they are always Hertz type cars. I’ve rented both before and they are trash. Plasticky inside and just drives awful. Especially the 300S. Poor man’s Bentley is an understatement , they are just crap. Of course it wasn’t the RT or SRT for the challenger.

Took a 3 series sedan for $20 a day more, it did the job.

Rental prices are insane, paying almost the same rate as an average business hotel per day.
Ordpc and Raylan like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
300 is classed as an LCAR, that's a great upgrade. /sarcasm.

I have rented 300s from national more times than I can count in both the US and Canada, I have even rented a few of the 1st gen 300s. They haven't been common for the past few years. I rented in YEG last week and I noticed 2 300S on the aisle.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Glob, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
Had a rental at YYC late last month; kept it for 11 days. Small but good selection on both pickup (midday on a Friday and drop off (mid-morning on a Tuesday). Good variety of sizes both times. In addition to a dozen or so generic midsize sedans from the Koreans, I saw in the aisles a Kia Sorento, Jeep Cherokee, Q5, x3, 3-series and a GLC 300 with a thousand miles. There were probably a half dozen minivans too; Pacificas if I recall correctly, but I'm not totally sure about the minivans so don't quote me on that please. Took the GLC, as I wanted something with a little more space than the sedans but not so big as the Sorento. Q5 had a lot more miles (20k if I recall correctly) and vaguely smelled of cigarettes, which was a no go and the x3 was claimed just as we walked up. Comparable options when we dropped the car off too. Employees were fantastic at pickup and dropoff.

I will say that I also encountered the Alamo folks yell at me similar to a post upthread which I found a little odd, since I was still looking in the National aisles but just starting to peek into the Alamo aisle right next to National. Didn't even walk into the Alamo section... A bit odd, but like I said, the National folks were great to deal with so I'll just chalk it up to some strangeness.
jizen and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:08 pm

Pick up on Friday night before they closed
EA: corolla
ES: X3, GLC, Escape, Rav4 , Malibu

Return Monday afternoon
EA: VW Tiguan, a mitsubishi crossover
ES: Jeep Gladiator
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:11 pm

Saturday morning (long weekend)
EA: Escape, Trailblazer, Buick Encore, Cherokee Trailhawk, Grand Cherokee L
ES: Escape, Edge, Explorer, rav4, Sorento, X3, GLC,

Evening
ES: Edge, Explorer, Blazer, Highlander

Monday Thanksgiving Morning:
Completely full lot
EA: Trailblazer, Gladiator, CHR, Venue, Malibu, rav4 LE, Eclipse Cross, X3, Corolla, Camry, Forte
ES: X3, Mustang, Sorento, Equinox, rav4, Cherokee Trailhawk, Escape, Edge
jizen and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by mlpl1280; Oct 11, 2022 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 19, 2022, 1:28 pm

YEG and YYC have a lot of LCAR in ES. Frequently get 300/3series was even in a x3 PHEV which saved me a ton of gas. Also frequently see X1s and GLC
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:14 pm

Friday morning
EA
Usual assortment, mustang, RVR, venue
ES
equinox, blazer, mustang, x3, glc, cadillac crossover (xt4?), tuson, 300s

Sunday morning
EA
Forte, malibu, elantra, camry, Tundra, Wrangler, Jaguar F-pace
ES
330i, pacifica, mustang, x3, glc, equinox, 300s,

Last edited by mlpl1280; Nov 14, 2022 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:45 pm

April 7th Good Friday
EA: rav4, kona, venue, malibu, corolla, elentra, sonata
ES: rav4, mustang convertible, RAM 1500, GMC Sierra, Equinox, Sportage

April 9th Sunday morning
EA: Jetta, corolla, ram 1500, buick encore, tuson, rav4, kona
ES: Escape, Terrain, GLC, Wrangler, Murano, cadillac xt4, rav4
jizen likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:16 pm

D
eletd

Last edited by davidlin15; Apr 16, 2023 at 5:25 pm
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Have people had their cars at National's YYC location, or have they been stuck waiting around hoping for one to come back in? Have a National reservation at a great rate through wife's employer, have an Avis one at a regular rate. Should we still be playing the "have a backup reservation" game?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bluefan75
Have people had their cars at National's YYC location, or have they been stuck waiting around hoping for one to come back in? Have a National reservation at a great rate through wife's employer, have an Avis one at a regular rate. Should we still be playing the "have a backup reservation" game?
Just picked up a car from this location yesterday afternoon. They were quite bare but the agent was really nice and apologetic for the lack of cars since she didn't have anything good for me as Exec elite. On the aisle was a Jetta, Camry, Chevy sedan, and two trucks. Cars were coming in but nothing was good. As we were packing into the Jetta that had almost 70k KM, a BMW X1 was just being parked and she quickly ran up to me and asked if I preferred to swap to that instead. Gladly took it - 2023 model with 700 KM on it.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:50 pm

National Car Emrald Aisle newbie

We will be flying into Calgary at approximately 1 p.m. on Tuesday 6/27/23. Will there be a good selection of midsize or larger cars on the Emerald Aisle? We just want to avoid the Chrysler 300 as we have had horrible experiences with those cars in the past.
This is our first time using National and we think it's nice to be able to pick your own car and bypass the counter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy, IHG, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
Just picked up a car from this location yesterday afternoon. They were quite bare but the agent was really nice and apologetic for the lack of cars since she didn't have anything good for me as Exec elite. On the aisle was a Jetta, Camry, Chevy sedan, and two trucks. Cars were coming in but nothing was good. As we were packing into the Jetta that had almost 70k KM, a BMW X1 was just being parked and she quickly ran up to me and asked if I preferred to swap to that instead. Gladly took it - 2023 model with 700 KM on it.
Hmmm. OK, so I will hang to our other reservation for a bit. We aren't elite, unless the code gets us a certain status in the background.

I had an agent tell me that when a rental car company "confirms" your reservation, that means you have a car, but they can give you an unconfirmed reservation, which means you are at the mercy of what comes in. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.