Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at Union Station (DC)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Union Station does one-ways. If you enter a dropoff at BWI, IAD, or DCA, the price is actually not bad. If you wanted to go from Union Station to JFK in NYC over the course of a week, it's a high price but not too bad. They'll take the $10/day FL driveout, unlike several other neighborhood stores. And just look at all those NJ and MA cars parked nose out in the photo.
But they hate it when you rent from DCA and try to return at Union Station - I've tried to do this twice recently and, both times, they wanted an extra ~$250
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:44 am

I just did a test price check with no corporate codes or discounts: DCA roundtrip, pick up tomorrow, return the day after, lowest price = $73/day plus airport tax, for a minivan of all things. Return to Union Station, same price. Pick up Union Station, return to DCA = $51/day for either subcompact or compact. Roundtrip = same price.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I regularly rent from one of the area airports (generally IAD or DCA since the taxes are lower than BWI) and return to Union Station, where I work. There is generally no additional charge, and the cost is generally the same as a regular roundtrip (not always the case, but most of the time). I just rented a Exec Elite full size (got a Santa Fe) for 4 days this weekend from IAD and returned it this morning to Union Station for about $91...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, United Gold, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive
Rented from Union Station on 9/18 because DCA was sold out. I reserved a midsize, and knew there was no EA/ES here. I am executive, and they offered me my choice of a Corolla or an Avenger. I was told the Avenger was my upgrade option. I asked if there was anything else, and they told me they had a Malibu, but I would have to pay for the upgrade. I guess I should have just reserved a full size in advance, but from all indications this is a dissapointing location for executive upgrades.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:20 pm

Any recent experiences here? Currently have a premium 1-day one-way rental to NYC from here, but debating using a one-two-free coupon instead (but then can only do full-size). Also can pick up from DCA instead, but WAS is way more convenient.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, United Gold, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by slariz
Any recent experiences here? Currently have a premium 1-day one-way rental to NYC from here, but debating using a one-two-free coupon instead (but then can only do full-size). Also can pick up from DCA instead, but WAS is way more convenient.
From my experience, at WAS even as an executive you will get the car class you reserved (see my post from August above). If you want anything other than an impala you should probably reserve the premium. Even though WAS is more convenient for me I almost always take the slightly longer trip to DCA since there is a much better selection there.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by kefine1
From my experience, at WAS even as an executive you will get the car class you reserved (see my post from August above). If you want anything other than an impala you should probably reserve the premium. Even though WAS is more convenient for me I almost always take the slightly longer trip to DCA since there is a much better selection there.
Thanks for the info! Perhaps DCA is where it is at then.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:18 am

If you're using a free day, for the best deal, take the most expensive one-way. A quick check suggests that would be from DCA.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:17 pm

I rented a midsize at Union Station, one-way to HPN in suburban NY. I booked with Alamo, because the price was significantly different from National. (Recently that seems to be changing. For many one-ways, and some round trips, Enterprise, Alamo, and National have the same exact rates. I don't know why, since each brand has different target market segments, and purports to offer a different "customer experience.")

However, it's the same facility and fleet. National customers proceed directly to the lot, and are offered a choice. Alamo customers speak with the counter clerk first, sign the contract, take it to the lot attendant, and are assigned a car. With the amount of cars, the way they are parked, the amount of specialized staff, and the wash facilities, it reminded me more of an airport than a city neighborhood store.

In any case, here's some of what I saw:

* new Malibu, NY plates, but not assigned for me, because I booked a midsize and the plates don't matter
* old Chrysler 200, MN plates, looked tired and beat
* Grand Caravan, VA plates
* Camry, VA plates
* 2014 Chevrolet Cruze LT, leather seats, red, 6k mi, FL plates, mine
I asked about last week's recall. The lot attendant replied they fixed them all.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:45 pm

I heard that a '15 Corvette was one-wayed to Union Station where it was rented, then promptly stolen somewhere in DC.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Like, actually stolen or someone beat you to it?
Old May 26, 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Like, actually stolen or someone beat you to it?
As in actually stolen.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:05 am

Anyone know what's up with this location? The hours recently changed to say 06:00AM - 09:45PM M-F and closed on the weekend. But when you try to book, even during those hours you get "Location does not exist or not open at the time you selected".

Even more odd is that the National L'Enfant Plaza location is open on weekends and bookable. Seems like that location would get nobody on weekends whereas Union Station would.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by hughc99
Anyone know what's up with this location? The hours recently changed to say 06:00AM - 09:45PM M-F and closed on the weekend. But when you try to book, even during those hours you get "Location does not exist or not open at the time you selected".

Even more odd is that the National L'Enfant Plaza location is open on weekends and bookable. Seems like that location would get nobody on weekends whereas Union Station would.
I just rented there on Friday night. Here's the deal: as of the beginning of October, it is only an Enterprise location. The only National locations will be L'Enfant Plaza (which is open shorter hours) or Reagan Airport.

I had made the reservation several months ago. When I got there, there was a sign by the enterprise window saying National/Alamo go directly to the garage. When I got out there, all I saw was an Enterprise booth, so that's where I went.

Apparently, they were honoring existing reservations that were on the books. They had my paperwork ready and I was able to return the car there with no issues. But not in the future.

This is a real disappointment, as arriving on Amtrak will now require a Metro ride on two lines to get to L'Enfant Plaza. If I don't arrive early enough, I have to go to Reagan airport (and pay more because of all the airport fees).

I occasionally use Hertz as a backup when the logistics of renting from National don't work, and I might have to do that here. I really find renting from Enterprise highly annoying because I just want to get in the car and go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.