Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Free day rental have car class limitation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP

Looking to book an SUV for the upcoming holiday weekend. If I select to use my free days, the SUV disappear and only leaves me with the option to up to a full size.
Old May 9, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
Looking to book an SUV for the upcoming holiday weekend. If I select to use my free days, the SUV disappear and only leaves me with the option to up to a full size.
Free days shouldn't limit you to only book up to full size. That being said, I believe during certain parts of the year, National does not allow free days for certain vehicles where they can make more profit on. Try choosing a different weekend and you'll see you can book an SUV using free days.

7. Redemption of Free Days: Free Day(s) may be redeemed electronically when
submitting a reservation request for a vehicle on www.nationalcar.com or Member may
call 1-800-CARRENT (1-800-227-7368) (depending on your country of residence, this
call may be an international call, and may be subject to the relevant charges depending
on your operator). No paper certificates will be issued for Free Day(s). Free Day(s) can
only be used on reservation requests at participating National Car brand rental locations
in the U.S., Canada and participating locations in the Latin American Caribbean. Free
Days are combinable up to seven (7) consecutive days maximum on one rental.
Members may redeem Free Days for periods of no longer than seven (7) Free Days per
rental transaction. These Free Days do not include charges that are not included in the
base rates of the particular applicable jurisdiction, such as (i) taxes, assessments, use
fees or other governmentally imposed, authorized or permitted surcharges or passthroughs,
(ii) license recoupment fees, airport fees and concession recoupment fees, (iii)
service charges and fees, (iv) vehicle license recovery fees, (v) damage waiver, the cost
of optional insurance products, fuel charges, optional upgrades, underage driver's fees,
infant seats or other optional items, (vi) charges or drop-off charges for one way rentals,
or (vii) tolls or parking violations. Members entitled to a Free Day for a given class of
vehicle may use the Free Day as partial payment for a more expensive vehicle class.
Free Days are redeemable for passenger vehicles only
Old May 9, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

1-2-Free days have more limitations than regular free days. I've found sometimes I couldn't get SUV with the 1-2-Free coupons.
Old May 9, 2015, 5:43 am

That sounds like a 1-2 Free day, which is limited to full size or below. A regular free day you should see all/most of the car classes; unless the lot was completely sold out, which I doubt if your able to see SUV's in a paid booking.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:27 am

Regular free days are for midsize reservations if you're regular Emerald, fullsize if you're Executive, and almost any class if you're Executive Elite.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I've always just reserved the full size for a reward and then selected whatever I could get at the Executive aisle, with no restriction then on choice or upgrade charge.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:59 pm

Problem is when they don't put them on isle. First weekend of January, I didn't see a single minivan on isle (Incl Executive) at MCO. Walked over to Alamo, and they offered Traverse for free - but not a minivan. Paid $29.99 upgrade, and she let me chose out of dozen! minivans on minivan isle. Took one with 500mi on it. When returning next day at JFK, told them that paid $29.99 but rear defogger didn't work, which proved a real drag on 1100 mile run. They refunded; so I was kinda satisfied after all

P.S. as I recall, those dozen minivans had keys. What if I never schlepped to Alamo booth, and just drove one to gate attendant? Can anyone explain

Last edited by SinglePapa2; May 9, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 2:17 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Problem is when they don't put them on isle. First weekend of January, I didn't see a single minivan on isle (Incl Executive) at MCO. Walked over to Alamo, and they offered Traverse for free - but not a minivan. Paid $29.99 upgrade, and she let me chose out of dozen! minivans on minivan isle. Took one with 500mi on it. When returning next day at JFK, told them that paid $29.99 but rear defogger didn't work, which proved a real drag on 1100 mile run. They refunded
There is no requirement for any station to put anything but mid size cars on the Emerald Aisle, and full size cars on the Executive Selection. As a practical matter, most places offer a wide selection of different types of vehicles but all of that is dependent on demand. If you get something else on your midsize reservation taking from either section, it's a bonus.

Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
P.S. as I recall, those dozen minivans had keys. What if I never schlepped to Alamo booth, and just drove one to gate attendant? Can anyone explain
Sure. The agent would probably have asked if you if you had a minivan reservation, you would have said no, and you would have been asked to back up, if you were lucky and got a nice agent. Alternatively, the agent could just have changed your rate from ICAR to MVAR without telling you, as you selected a vehicle from the Minivan selection, so the agent would assume you wanted to pay for the class taken, not the class reserved. You can't just take any car from anywhere on the lot, regardless of whether there are keys in them. For further reading see this thread, which explains it pretty well.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:07 am

This is a change that came with the new terrible website.

Old website used to let you book any car class for a free day, charging whatever the difference was between the selected class and the midsize rate. New website won't apply the free day "coupon" to anything bigger than a midsize, period.

Edit: didn't realize I was bumping a year old post. sorry!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by CorSter

Old website used to let you book any car class for a free day, charging whatever the difference was between the selected class and the midsize rate. New website won't apply the free day "coupon" to anything bigger than a midsize, period.

The workaround is to make a reservation without the coupon then modify it online or by calling the call center to apply the coupon.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: National, Marriott, IHG, Delta, AA
I never had any problems picking the vehicle I wanted with free days. I heard you could redeem your free days on a regular paid rental as well after the fact. Did anyone try this?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by mrc2000
I never had any problems picking the vehicle I wanted with free days. I heard you could redeem your free days on a regular paid rental as well after the fact. Did anyone try this?
Yes you can redeem them after you return the car.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CorSter

The iOS provides more capability than the website. You can redeem free days on Premium (and probably Luxury) as well.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
The iOS provides more capability than the website. You can redeem free days on Premium (and probably Luxury) as well.
Yeah, that's weird to me. As an EE, I should be able to reserve premium, luxury, fullsize SUV, etc with free days.

Under a regular paid reservation on the website, they show up as available. Using a free day on the website, the options for those classifications are no longer available. Using the IOS app, some become available. ...?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:46 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
The trick is to pick whatever is available - then you pick the class you want and ask them to get it. As long as you are an EE - you'll be able to select what you want. I did this on a 3 day rental recently, booked the most expensive/hardest to find car that was showing on the options. You can then tell them you have a special reservation and you'd rather get the other option. The classes won't change the price even if you get a 18-passenger van. Just don't go over the amount of days as you'll get tacked on with the large daily fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.