Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Consensus on best NYC airport branch? Best city branch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2023, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I am moving to NYC and I have been taking a look at the selections at JFK, EWR and LGA - they all seem similar. Is there a consensus on what branch is best for ES for local residents? Do NYC city branches often carry nice cars in their garages? I am trying to make a reservation and I noticed they only go up to Premium Cars (i.e. no Luxury cars or higher). I understand that the free EE upgrades just means I pay one class lower at the city branch, and it seems like there are no other benefits for renting in the city.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 4:44 pm

LGA often has cars set aside for EE members.

That said, in the NY metro, date and time is more important than location. Monday morning is usually great as the weekend renters have all returned and business travelers haven't arrived yet. Weekends are usually slim pickings, especially during summer and holidays as city-dwellers rent a car for the weekend.
huskyflyer and bemis like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
EWR has the same. They've always treated me well as an EE and actually goes the extra mile for EE's.
huskyflyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by huskyflyer
I am moving to NYC and I have been taking a look at the selections at JFK, EWR and LGA - they all seem similar. Is there a consensus on what branch is best for ES for local residents? Do NYC city branches often carry nice cars in their garages? I am trying to make a reservation and I noticed they only go up to Premium Cars (i.e. no Luxury cars or higher). I understand that the free EE upgrades just means I pay one class lower at the city branch, and it seems like there are no other benefits for renting in the city.
Quite honestly NYC garages (what's left of them anyway, *LOL*) are often hit or miss. Have always found airports (either LGA or EWR) have better options on average than Manhattan locations.

Garages in city don't have dedicated Emerald aisles nor other sections for EC members. Though have to say in > 20 years of renting with National locations in Manhattan do go out of their way for EC members to best of ability.

Manhattan real estate is expensive and National rents garage space, so for past almost decade or so they've kept less vehicles stored say overnight or whatever. Much excess is usually sent out of city to airport or other destinations.

If you have something specific in mind such as luxury, certain type of SUV or whatever then you're much better off most times going out to one of the airports. LGA is easily reached from Manhattan by mass transit or short taxi/uber ride.

One thing to look out for is one way rental ban. Sometimes airport locations will allow one way rentals (picking up at airport but dropping off in city), others they won't and system will reject any such reservations. Driving outside of city and dropping off in another state is not an issue.

One more thing to worry about is airport concession fee.

Even if you live in city both LGA and JFK will tack on concession fees reservation. In past if one could show proof didn't arrive by plane (which having a NYC address and NYS driver's license more than proved) mangers would remove said fee. That apparently no longer happens or may be very hit or miss (more miss than hit).

Thus, off the bat you're going to be paying more for a reservation than if vehicle was picked-up in city. Rates at airport locations nowadays are often same as city, at times maybe a bit lower depending upon demand but still.

Finally, city locations do not participate in any of the various coupons or promotions offered by National corporate. It has only been rather recently they began taking EC free day coupons. If you want to take advantage of promotions or special discounts you'll have to make reservation at airport location.

Last edited by BugsyPal; Dec 28, 2023 at 8:13 pm Reason: content added
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Quite honestly NYC garages (what's left of them anyway, *LOL*) are often hit or miss. Have always found airports (either LGA or EWR) have better options on average than Manhattan locations.

Garages in city don't have dedicated Emerald aisles nor other sections for EC members. Though have to say in > 20 years of renting with National locations in Manhattan do go out of their way for EC members to best of ability.

Manhattan real estate is expensive and National rents garage space, so for past almost decade or so they've kept less vehicles stored say overnight or whatever. Much excess is usually sent out of city to airport or other destinations.

If you have something specific in mind such as luxury, certain type of SUV or whatever then you're much better off most times going out to one of the airports. LGA is easily reached from Manhattan by mass transit or short taxi/uber ride.

One thing to look out for is one way rental ban. Sometimes airport locations will allow one way rentals (picking up at airport but dropping off in city), others they won't and system will reject any such reservations. Driving outside of city and dropping off in another state is not an issue.
For the city branches, what do you mean by they will go out their way to help you - do you have to call them up in advance and let them know your status and what you hope to get or do they usually just do it without you asking? Do city branches often send the nice luxuries car back to the airport and keep more basic cars in the garage or vice versa? Not sure if the NYC crowd is a picky crowd that would expect exactly what they reserve and a nice car.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xienon
EWR has the same. They've always treated me well as an EE and actually goes the extra mile for EE's.
Originally Posted by funnyfarm299

That said, in the NY metro, date and time is more important than location. Monday morning is usually great as the weekend renters have all returned and business travelers haven't arrived yet. Weekends are usually slim pickings, especially during summer and holidays as city-dwellers rent a car for the weekend.
Thanks! Is it pretty "easy" to get a premium car like BMW, Audi from the airport even if it is not on the aisle as an EE?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:05 pm

For the city branches, what do you mean by they will go out their way to help you - do you have to call them up in advance and let them know your status and what you hope to get or do they usually just do it without you asking? Do city branches often send the nice luxuries car back to the airport and keep more basic cars in the garage or vice versa? Not sure if the NYC crowd is a picky crowd that would expect exactly what they reserve and a nice car.
In morning when location opens NYC managers will pull all reservations for day and for EC members (easily noted from reservation) will begin process by printing out contract and putting things aside. Depending upon availability location *may* try to assign vehicle based upon what's specified on reservation. If things are tight (and for NYC locations they often are, especially for high volume periods such as weekends or holidays), will at least do their best to have something ready for scheduled reservation arrival time.

What usually happens is upon getting to counter manager or CSR will let EC member know what they have in terms of inventory and or if they've already put something aside in reserved class. Main point is to have contract and everything else ready so EC member just needs to approve vehicle choice, have said ride attached to contract and complete paperwork so are in and out quickly.

City locations are famously short inventory especially during peak periods (weekends and major holidays) so even EC members may have to wait for vehicles that are being brought in from out of area (usually airports). Have always found locations in city will give EC members their choice of anything above vehicle class reserved for same daily rate if nothing reserved is available. Have been offered luxury, SVUs and premium vehicles all on intermediate class reservation with no change in rate.

In general have always found airport locations on average have wider selection than in city garages.

City garages have only set inventory and that is often highly dependent on what is returned by customers. Since many customers do one-way rentals into say Manhattan you never know what might show up including luxury and premium rides. Sometimes a vehicle must go back to airport or wherever it belongs, other times they will let a customer have it, this especially if EC member.

" Not sure if the NYC crowd is a picky crowd that would expect exactly what they reserve and a nice car"

Ohhh yes!

Have witnessed many a nasty exchange between National customers at NYC locations (Manhattan) and managers and or CSR.

People often have a huge sense of entitlement and come into location with attitude "I reserved "X" vehicle! Why don't you have it ready?" Again city locations are famously short of inventory and often what they've got doesn't match up with reservations. There were and or are times when you cannot get anything from a Manhattan location besides large or maybe mid-size SUVs. That or maybe there's nothing but IICARs and customer reserved a family sized SUV, large car or minivan.

Keep in mind even for EC members National's policy is with valid reservation they will get you something, it may not be reserved class but you're free to decline. However, if you want or need a SUV and all they've got is intermediate cars or large trucks you can end up sitting about waiting.

For EC members managers will often call around to other locations in city to see if they have what customer wants. Said customer will then either have to get themselves over to location (assuming availability) or other arrangements. Usually in such situations EC members will get something taken off reservation, credits, free days put in bank or whatever to make up for say costs of taxi and or other inconveniences.

Personally, my advice is if someone needs or wants a specific class or type of ride reserving at airports is better way to go. On average you'll find airports often have better and wider selection, especially of higher end, premium, luxury, EVs..
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:50 pm

Thanks! Is it pretty "easy" to get a premium car like BMW, Audi from the airport even if it is not on the aisle as an EE?
Zoom over to "Cars At LGA" thread, you'll have many questions answered.

Cars at LGA - Page 30 - FlyerTalk Forums

LGA like other airport EC areas does have dedicated EE section. Inventory will vary (as always) but have usually found managers accommodating. This of course varies by manager or CSR on duty so YMMV.

Few times didn't like what was on offer in EC aisle section and snagged something from EE, but don't count on that happening often.

Thing to remember is National only has three locations left in city (Manhattan) and just one in Brooklyn. Remaining locations are at airports (JFK and LGA). Many from Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn and much of Queens head out to LGA for National rentals for various reasons. As such inventory can be tight or hit and miss.

Have no way of knowing but believe so many local National customers taking vehicles out of LGA is reason why location won't do one-way rentals much if at all anymore.
huskyflyer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:59 pm

Another thing...

Have found in all my years as EC local Manhattan managers will reach out to members in advance when they expect things will be tight inventory wise. This can be day before or morning of reservation. This happens more often if one rents from same location a lot and they know the name.

General gist of conversation is 'we're going to be short and may not have what you reserved or even want, so best get yourself down here before scheduled collection time...). Contract of course is adjusted to show actual pick-up time and if necessary, some sort of concession worked out if picking up vehicle early say pushes rental into keeping day longer than planned.

In short again at least for Manhattan, NYC National locations have found on average managers and counter staff do go above and beyond to accommodate EC members, this without location having aisle or other member specific sections.
funnyfarm299 and huskyflyer like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

In morning when location opens NYC managers will pull all reservations for day and for EC members (easily noted from reservation) will begin process by printing out contract and putting things aside. Depending upon availability location *may* try to assign vehicle based upon what's specified on reservation. If things are tight (and for NYC locations they often are, especially for high volume periods such as weekends or holidays), will at least do their best to have something ready for scheduled reservation arrival time.

What usually happens is upon getting to counter manager or CSR will let EC member know what they have in terms of inventory and or if they've already put something aside in reserved class. Main point is to have contract and everything else ready so EC member just needs to approve vehicle choice, have said ride attached to contract and complete paperwork so are in and out quickly.

City locations are famously short inventory especially during peak periods (weekends and major holidays) so even EC members may have to wait for vehicles that are being brought in from out of area (usually airports). Have always found locations in city will give EC members their choice of anything above vehicle class reserved for same daily rate if nothing reserved is available. Have been offered luxury, SVUs and premium vehicles all on intermediate class reservation with no change in rate.

In general have always found airport locations on average have wider selection than in city garages.

City garages have only set inventory and that is often highly dependent on what is returned by customers. Since many customers do one-way rentals into say Manhattan you never know what might show up including luxury and premium rides. Sometimes a vehicle must go back to airport or wherever it belongs, other times they will let a customer have it, this especially if EC member.

" Not sure if the NYC crowd is a picky crowd that would expect exactly what they reserve and a nice car"

Ohhh yes!

Have witnessed many a nasty exchange between National customers at NYC locations (Manhattan) and managers and or CSR.

People often have a huge sense of entitlement and come into location with attitude "I reserved "X" vehicle! Why don't you have it ready?" Again city locations are famously short of inventory and often what they've got doesn't match up with reservations. There were and or are times when you cannot get anything from a Manhattan location besides large or maybe mid-size SUVs. That or maybe there's nothing but IICARs and customer reserved a family sized SUV, large car or minivan.

Keep in mind even for EC members National's policy is with valid reservation they will get you something, it may not be reserved class but you're free to decline. However, if you want or need a SUV and all they've got is intermediate cars or large trucks you can end up sitting about waiting.

For EC members managers will often call around to other locations in city to see if they have what customer wants. Said customer will then either have to get themselves over to location (assuming availability) or other arrangements. Usually in such situations EC members will get something taken off reservation, credits, free days put in bank or whatever to make up for say costs of taxi and or other inconveniences.

Personally, my advice is if someone needs or wants a specific class or type of ride reserving at airports is better way to go. On average you'll find airports often have better and wider selection, especially of higher end, premium, luxury, EVs..
Thank you so much, this was super helpful!

I noticed the Times Square location does not let you reserve anything above a Premium Car. Is that normal in NYC? I get that it is not guaranteed anyways, but I was hoping to reserve something nice for a particular occasion so that at the counter I can at least try to ask for something decently nice as an EE (but I also don't want something big like a Tahoe unless they want to subsidize my fuel usage). However, I also need a car that day so I don't want to be told at the rental office "We have no cars for you".

And yes, I noticed I couldn't do a one way rental from EWR and return it at Times Square (but I also don't want to return it to EWR and take the train back to MidTown).

The nearby Enterprises seem to allow you to reserve Luxury cars. Not sure if in NYC Entperise and National share the fleet as I know in Canada it is shared between the two brands.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Another thing...

Have found in all my years as EC local Manhattan managers will reach out to members in advance when they expect things will be tight inventory wise. This can be day before or morning of reservation. This happens more often if one rents from same location a lot and they know the name.

General gist of conversation is 'we're going to be short and may not have what you reserved or even want, so best get yourself down here before scheduled collection time...). Contract of course is adjusted to show actual pick-up time and if necessary, some sort of concession worked out if picking up vehicle early say pushes rental into keeping day longer than planned.

In short again at least for Manhattan, NYC National locations have found on average managers and counter staff do go above and beyond to accommodate EC members, this without location having aisle or other member specific sections.
When they give you the call, are you at least guaranteed some car for EEs? I guess this may be why the city locations don't let you reserve anything above PCARS since it is harder for them to give you something that is LCAR or higher
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:51 pm

Thank you so much, this was super helpful!

I noticed the Times Square location does not let you reserve anything above a Premium Car. Is that normal in NYC? I get that it is not guaranteed anyways, but I was hoping to reserve something nice for a particular occasion so that at the counter I can at least try to ask for something decently nice as an EE (but I also don't want something big like a Tahoe unless they want to subsidize my fuel usage). However, I also need a car that day so I don't want to be told at the rental office "We have no cars for you".

And yes, I noticed I couldn't do a one way rental from EWR and return it at Times Square (but I also don't want to return it to EWR and take the train back to MidTown).

The nearby Enterprises seem to allow you to reserve Luxury cars. Not sure if in NYC Entperise and National share the fleet as I know in Canada it is shared between the two brands.
Last time one looked Manhattan, NYC locations only offer compact through full size cars for reservations, and that's it. Now what you'll find when arriving to pick-up vehicle is anyone's guess. However as one has stated one wants a certain something then best head out to airport location.

Just tried to do a quick dummy reservation out of LGA and there too system only lists compact through full size cars. However, it's noted EC members with intermediate and full- size reservations are free to choose vehicles from EE section.

Since city locations don't have aisle or EE areas you pretty much are at mercy of whatever inventory is on hand and what can get manager or CSR to assign. There's always a chance a SUV, luxury or premium vehicle will be in garage and National will let you have it at same reserved price.

Also tried doing a one-way rental with dummy reservation and it wasn't happening. System kept returning message that location was "sold out" with no inventory. Once one changed return to same location (picking up and returning at LGA) inventory opened up and was allowed to make reservation. That steep concession and other airport fees were there as well.

Enterprise Holdings owns National, and while there is some overlap in their systems things are generally separate. With some fancy footwork between managers have seen Enterprise honor a National reservation and vice-versa. Also have known Enterprise to send National vehicles when latter is hard up for inventory (usually during peak holiday travel period). Wouldn't count on that happening often though.

EC members can rack up points when renting with Enterprise. Since there are more Enterprise locations in city than National one has often just bit the bullet and gone former instead of latter. Some of Enterprise's policies and procedures bug me (hard upsell on additions, no after-hours drop off..) but sometimes you just do what has to be done.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:59 pm

When they give you the call, are you at least guaranteed some car for EEs? I guess this may be why the city locations don't let you reserve anything above PCARS since it is harder for them to give you something that is LCAR or higher
Historically National's inventory for in city locations has been all over the place.

When you want something larger such as full-size or even mid-size SUV, minivan, premium or luxury all they've got are midsize and smaller cars. OTOH when you want something else all they've got are large SUVs, trucks and minivans....

My guess is since corporate knows what is in fleet and what locations get what, they are nipping some issues in bud. You cannot reserve what isn't on offer; those customers screaming they put in for say "luxury", certain SUV or anything else now won't be able to take their frustrations out on local garage. You'll make a choice from several car classes offered and take what's there upon arrival. If someone wants or needs anything outside of that they'll need to head out to airport location.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Historically National's inventory for in city locations has been all over the place.

When you want something larger such as full-size or even mid-size SUV, minivan, premium or luxury all they've got are midsize and smaller cars. OTOH when you want something else all they've got are large SUVs, trucks and minivans....

My guess is since corporate knows what is in fleet and what locations get what, they are nipping some issues in bud. You cannot reserve what isn't on offer; those customers screaming they put in for say "luxury", certain SUV or anything else now won't be able to take their frustrations out on local garage. You'll make a choice from several car classes offered and take what's there upon arrival. If someone wants or needs anything outside of that they'll need to head out to airport location.
This post was super helpful! Quick last question, would you say Enterprise in Manhattan has a more reliable fleet in terms of getting what you reserve since they seem to let you reserve nice cars on the system (LCARs)? Yeah looks like if I want to be guaranteed a nice car I will need to head over to EWR, LGA or JFK (probably the former two since its easier to get to from Midtown)
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lot of useful commentary. I use the W 56th St. location a few times per year and find the staff great. (It's SUCH a difference, even in demeanor, from the grumpy Hertz staff anywhere in Manhattan! ). I always get an email from the manager shortly after pickup with their contact info if there are any issues.
Really, as discussed, you won't have a ton of flexibility on car selection. They usually get me in an SUV (often a Rogue-type, once I think an Audi), as an Executive member, but they usually ask if I'd be interested in upgrading to something nicer (for $) first. I usually decline and then magically the Camry they thought they had just went out, or was stuck behind the better car.
One major issue with National is the limited opening hours (notably 6:30pm closing on Friday), but that's mitigated by allowing after-hour returns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.