Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SUV Choices for Emerald Club Member

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:52 am
Original Poster

SUV Choices for Emerald Club Member

Hi, we need a standard or full-sized SUV for our trip to America in this December, preferably a 4WD. We will be arriving at LAX. As a EC member I can chose a midsize car and get access to the Aisle, but the SUV choices there are quite limited apparently. (If I'm mistaken and there are consistent amounts of big SUVs at LAX please let me know)

I have 2 choices: Book the midsize car option, and upgrade to a standard or full-sized SUV at LAX if there aren't any good SUVs on the Aisle, or book a standard SUV online (don't know why there isn't a full-sized SUV option online). My question is: If I were to book a standard SUV, will I still get Emerald Club privileges like shorter queue times, less hassle in the car-taking process? Will I get a rage of options of SUVs to chose from (like full-size) or will I be assigned to one? If I were to book a midsize car, do I need to spend money to upgrade to standard and full-size SUVs?

Thank you for your advice!
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:27 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by D3ranged
Hi, we need a standard or full-sized SUV for our trip to America in this December, preferably a 4WD.

No guarantee of 4WD especially at a Southern California location; if it's not a guaranteed-reserve class, you'll have to check for badging / controls inside a given vehicle. Something to be mindful of.

We will be arriving at LAX. As a EC member I can chose a midsize car and get access to the Aisle, but the SUV choices there are quite limited apparently. (If I'm mistaken and there are consistent amounts of big SUVs at LAX please let me know)

If you check our Cars @ LAX thread it seems that is definitely not the case. Not sure what you mean by "Big" SUV's (e.g. Tahoe - Suburban - maybe not so many but seems folks are reporting plenty of normal SUVs).

I have 2 choices: Book the midsize car option, and upgrade to a standard or full-sized SUV at LAX if there aren't any good SUVs on the Aisle, or book a standard SUV online (don't know why there isn't a full-sized SUV option online).

If it's blocking full-size SUV that means there are none available for your dates/times for advance reservation. It's a reservable class.

You also have a third choice, which is make two reservations - 1 for midsize and 1 for the SUV class you desire. If there's an SUV available on the aisle, cancel the SUV reservation, or vice versa.

My question is: If I were to book a standard SUV, will I still get Emerald Club privileges like shorter queue times, less hassle in the car-taking process?

If you book Standard SUV and you're a part of Emerald Club, you skip the line and head out to the "Standard SUV" section in the parking deck and pick from whatever they have out there. You won't be assigned a specific vehicle. Greeters will direct you where to go.

Will I get a rage of options of SUVs to chose from (like full-size) or will I be assigned to one?

It's broken down by class, so if you book SFAR expect vehicles like the Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder, maybe a VW Atlas. There will be a lineup of different vehicles in the class.

If I were to book a midsize car, do I need to spend money to upgrade to standard and full-size SUVs?

If it's on the Emerald Aisle, no charge for the upgrade. If there's no SUV on the Emerald Aisle that suits your needs, then yes, you'll have to pay whatever they ask for the upgrade. You cannot just take a class you didn't reserve that isn't out for Aisle taking.

Thank you for your advice!
jizen, funnyfarm299 and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Sorry to bother but I have a few more questions: I believed that the cancellation deadline is 48hrs before pick-up time to not get charged, could you clarify on this? Because according to your advice it seems that you could cancel a booking on the spot, and keep another booking.

How common are 4WDs in the standard SUV pile? Could you give a rough percentage?

Around how much would the upgrade from midsize car to, say, a full-size SUV cost? Because if its cheap, it might be better to just upgrade at the counter. (the standard SUV booked online is not cheap). This also saves the hassle of making 2 bookings online.

What about the upgrade cost from standard SUV to full-size, if there aren't any standards with large boots? We have 5 large luggages to carry.

Thank you once again for your help!

Last edited by D3ranged; Oct 12, 2022 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your generous help! I have a few more questions:
1. I believed that the cancellation policy is 48 hrs before pick-up time, so could you clarify on how you can cancel your second reservation on the spot?
2. What is the rough percentage chance that there will be 4WDs in the standard SUV stack?
3. Generally how much would the upgrade from midsize car to standard or full-size SUV cost? If it's cheap it might be the better option, and saves the hassle of making 2 bookings online
Old Oct 14, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
What’s the desire for 4WD? Most rental agreements prohibit taking the vehicle off road. LAX doesn’t get snow. Unless I’m missing something, I wouldn’t worry about the need for 4WD.

Unless you are using a private rate code with odd restrictions, there’s no 48-hour cancellation fee. I’ve used the “make 2 reservations, cancel 1” tactic many times.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:39 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by D3ranged
Thanks for your generous help! I have a few more questions:
1. I believed that the cancellation policy is 48 hrs before pick-up time, so could you clarify on how you can cancel your second reservation on the spot?

As posted above unless you're using a weird rate code or are prepaying, you can cancel at any time without penalty.

2. What is the rough percentage chance that there will be 4WDs in the standard SUV stack?

No idea, but probably pretty low in Southern California. As stated above as well, you can't go off-road anyways.

3. Generally how much would the upgrade from midsize car to standard or full-size SUV cost? If it's cheap it might be the better option, and saves the hassle of making 2 bookings online
Depends on fleet availability at any given time, and none of us have a crystal ball, but I'd expect $50-125 per day on top of the base rate. It literally takes 3 minutes to make a reservation online / in the app, and probably about 30 seconds to cancel, so I'd hardly call that a "hassle" but whatever works best for you.
funnyfarm299 and Ordpc like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
What’s the desire for 4WD? Most rental agreements prohibit taking the vehicle off road. LAX doesn’t get snow. Unless I’m missing something, I wouldn’t worry about the need for 4WD.

Prohibits just means that your are responsible for damages even if you purchase cdw from rental agency. Countless ppl on countless occasions drive rentals off paved roads but use common sense with your coverage and risks (eg know how to replace a flat when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception)

4wd btw is not just for offlroading- you may need it if you want to go snowy/icy places without chains - places like sequoia / kings canyon or even 395 to mammoth in iffy weather..
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 10:44 pm

You might want to consider a minivan. They have more legroom and a lower floor than SUVs, and National's are usually pretty well equipped.
Auto Enthusiast and TXJeepGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.