Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prices are driving me crazy....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Prices are driving me crazy....

So I'm a National Emerald Exec member through my credit card. I need to book a car next week from Tampa. Two weeks ago I checked and a mid size car (so I had access to the emerald lot) was $26.99 a day. I should have booked it then but I waited. On Saturday I checked again and the price for a mid size was $51 a day. Again should have booked but then today (Sunday) the price was $58 a day.

So my booking would be from Thursday to Monday. Now the interesting thing is if I put I need the car from Wednesday to Monday the price drops down to $35 a day. What is the deal with their prices. I can easily book Alamo, or Avis for a lot lower, but obviously I was trying to stick with what I had a reward program with. If I book it a day earlier to get the cheaper price even though I wont use it that day will that work?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by howie411
So I'm a National Emerald Exec member through my credit card. I need to book a car next week from Tampa. Two weeks ago I checked and a mid size car (so I had access to the emerald lot) was $26.99 a day. I should have booked it then but I waited. On Saturday I checked again and the price for a mid size was $51 a day. Again should have booked but then today (Sunday) the price was $58 a day.

So my booking would be from Thursday to Monday. Now the interesting thing is if I put I need the car from Wednesday to Monday the price drops down to $35 a day. What is the deal with their prices. I can easily book Alamo, or Avis for a lot lower, but obviously I was trying to stick with what I had a reward program with. If I book it a day earlier to get the cheaper price even though I wont use it that day will that work?
As one stated in another thread, whenever you see a "good" rate from National, jump on it at that time. Going back even a day or even hour later and you may not be able to lock in that rate again. Welcome to the wonderful world of demand pricing models.

Alamo's rates yes, can be cheaper, but as you yourself noted, you don't earn points or anything else, so there is a trade off. IIRC National is geared towards business/corporate travel, while Alamo is personal/vacation.

Not sure of your final query.

If you book a reservation for say Monday, but don't pick up the car and or try to move things to another day; rates can and often will increase to whatever to current daily. Sometimes a manager *may* be able to do something and get the previous (lower) rate back, and or apply some sort of discounts to lower or negate the new rates, but shouldn't count on that always happening.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:21 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, prices can change multiple times a day. We tell our customers all the time, book immediately as you can always change or cancel later, not to mention re-shopping it for a better rate. Changing the dates/times (sometimes as little as 30 minutes in either direction can help).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Try Hertz. They have a discount code for 1 free day if you keep it Saturday overnight.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Alamo's rates yes, can be cheaper, but as you yourself noted, you don't earn points or anything else, so there is a trade off. IIRC National is geared towards business/corporate travel, while Alamo is personal/vacation.
One recent frustration for me is that National seems to be consistently pricing much higher than Alamo even on weekends. It used to be that within certain parameters (no pickup before Thursday, no dropoff after Monday, Saturday night keep) and with a judiciously applied coupon code, you could get National's pricing to be reasonably competitive with Alamo's for a given location. But that no longer seems to be the case. National is still competitive for my business rentals (we have a corporate requirement for LDW, and the small business rate almost always comes out ahead), but rarely is for vacations.

I'm also seeing National price at a significant premium compared with Avis and even Hertz -- which is surprising given the latter has copied the Emerald Aisle at this point.

One of the main reasons I've maintained Exec / EE for 10+ years is because I've enjoyed getting nice upgrades on vacation. If I can rent a convertible or SUV from Alamo for less than National's ICAR rate, the value of that benefit decreases pretty dramatically.

For a recent trip, National was 2x Alamo for a long weekend rental. I'd wanted to use up some free days, but Alamo was still cheaper after I'd applied them! We ended up with a PCAR from Alamo for $185 when National wanted nearly $400 for an ICAR. Combined facility with combined fleet, in this case
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:43 am

National's pricing has gone up across-the-board in the past year or so. Deals can still be had, but we can confirm that it's rarer for National to be competitive.They've done well with their recent Control Enthusiast TV advertising campaign and it's likely led to increased demand from business travelers (not to mention spillover into leisure as well), and consequently less need to be aggressive on pricing.

In short, they feel they have a premium product (which they admittedly do), and can price it accordingly.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:58 pm

I've found National's prices to be extremely high the past 6 months to a year. So much so that I've stopped renting from National and switched to Enterprise. I'd been accumulating Enterprise points with my National rentals anyway, so I'm not out anything from that perspective. I do miss walking right to the car though. For every rental, I check both National and Enterprise. I'm finding large differences for the same rentals. That's made worse by the really good Costco discount for Enterprise.

Burbank in a couple of weeks, National was over $70 / day for the aisle. I'm renting a "premier elite SUV" with Enterprise for $53 / day. In Orlando in two weeks Silvercar was cheaper than National by over $200 for the week! Enterprise was the same price as SIlvercar so I figured I'd go for the Audi for fun.

I suppose it makes sense for National to be at this price level since they have three brands to price.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:01 pm

If am being honest have noticed for nearly two years now National's prices across the board have increased; weekends, weekdays, etc.... With few if any good "deals" to be had, and if you find one better book it *NOW*. Major holiday rates are easily $92 as a starting point and only go up. Since they are closed Christmas and Thanksgiving day you are locked into at least a two day rental off the bat.

At least here in NYC area, Alamo's rates aren't that much less than National. This may be because NYS forced Alamo and National to share locations. Going back several years Alamo once often usually less to much more than National. Just did a quick "test" reservation and rates were nearly same for both (weekday rental at $65/day for economy car).

Enterprise leaves me with sort of a *Meh* feeling.

Don't know if it is because many of the locations locally are franchises or what, but their vehicles tend to be older than National's, and often not as well maintained (not quite but near busted), this or are dirty (inside and out), and so forth.

Also whereas National will routinely give out upgrades even on an economy or compact reservation, Enterprise in my experiences won't give up off nothing unless you agree to pay. They will happily put you into an economy or compact car with an mid-sized reservation. But don't ask for a SUV if they don't have your ICAR.

Also Enterprise's hard upsells on insurance and other extras gets on my nerves. How many times does one have to say "no"? Then comes "well if you use your credit card's insurance......"

IMHO Enterprise seems best dealing with their target customer base; providing insurance and other loaner vehicles.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

So I called National a few times today but they basically told me the prices are what they are. Well tonight I checked my same car rental needs and now the price was $47.99 instead of $58 a day. So I booked it and canceled the first booking. Its amazing that they would rather me constantly waste my time refreshing their webpage then offer me a good deal.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:41 pm

So I called National a few times today but they basically told me the prices are what they are. Well tonight I checked my same car rental needs and now the price was $47.99 instead of $58 a day. So I booked it and canceled the first booking. Its amazing that they would rather me constantly waste my time refreshing their webpage then offer me a good deal.
To be fair don't think tier one customer support for National/Enterprise/Alamo can see or otherwise obtain any better rates than what general pubic can find online or elsewhere. There *might* be things someone from higher up the food chain can manage however. Next time if you feel a need to press the issue try asking for a CS manager.

Truth to tell not even counter reps can do anything with rates, they are what they are about covers things. Again maybe the branch manager or maybe even a divisional can offer assistance.

Cannot be stressed enough that since National has moved over to demand pricing model and some other tweaks much of the flexibility lower level customer service once had now seems to be gone. Everything seems to be geared from corporate to increasing revenue, which seems to mean keeping a tight lead on offering discounts or whatever unless warranted and or sanctioned as in a promotion.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:50 am

Autoslash promises to do all this re-checking. You should try them
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
If am being honest have noticed for nearly two years now National's prices across the board have increased; weekends, weekdays, etc.... With few if any good "deals" to be had, and if you find one better book it *NOW*. Major holiday rates are easily $92 as a starting point and only go up. Since they are closed Christmas and Thanksgiving day you are locked into at least a two day rental off the bat.

At least here in NYC area, Alamo's rates aren't that much less than National. This may be because NYS forced Alamo and National to share locations. Going back several years Alamo once often usually less to much more than National. Just did a quick "test" reservation and rates were nearly same for both (weekday rental at $65/day for economy car).

Enterprise leaves me with sort of a *Meh* feeling.

Don't know if it is because many of the locations locally are franchises or what, but their vehicles tend to be older than National's, and often not as well maintained (not quite but near busted), this or are dirty (inside and out), and so forth.

Also whereas National will routinely give out upgrades even on an economy or compact reservation, Enterprise in my experiences won't give up off nothing unless you agree to pay. They will happily put you into an economy or compact car with an mid-sized reservation. But don't ask for a SUV if they don't have your ICAR.

Also Enterprise's hard upsells on insurance and other extras gets on my nerves. How many times does one have to say "no"? Then comes "well if you use your credit card's insurance......"

IMHO Enterprise seems best dealing with their target customer base; providing insurance and other loaner vehicles.
Your $92 caught my eye, as I'm currently on LGA->MCO week(!) trip that came to $92 all-in after LGA attendant removed airport fees- thanks for that hint for us NYC-locals! I got a Rogue (NY plates) from the Aisle with 14 miles on the odometer, a personal record low. I also hope to get 500 points for 1-2-F weeklong rental. My experience last Xmas was that 1-2-F points and the resulting coupon hit up next afternoon, following previous day rental end. Yours?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Welp, this morning the cost to rent the car was $34.99 a day. So I canceled and re-booked. So far in 3 days, I've gone from $58 a day to $46 a day down to $34 a day.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Welp, this morning the cost to rent the car was $34.99 a day. So I canceled and re-booked. So far in 3 days, I've gone from $58 a day to $46 a day down to $34 a day.
$20 off weekend code: ND9367JJF
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Now you know why AutoSlash exists.
howie411 and Closingracer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.