Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double reservation - EA and Van backup?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Double reservation - EA and Van backup?

Going to MCO and want to get a minivan or a large SUV. I’ve read it’s hit or miss to get such a car at MCOs EA.

I know you could do this a few years ago but wanted to check if it’s still OK. Can I book an EA reservation and a backup minivan reservation for the same dates and times, and if they have a van in the EA just cancel the van reservation before I get to the checkout gate? And vice versa, cancel the EA reservation if they don’t have a van in the EA?

Want to make sure I don’t get double charged or charged at the higher rate even if they have a van in the EA by doing this.

Would it be safer booking the backup van reservation at another agency, and if so any recommendations for MCO?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:41 pm

You can have multiple reservations and should not get charged for either if you do not use them. I did it while testing Hertz’s Ultimate choice, using National aisle as a backup. Orlando is usually good about checking for large vehicles if you ask them to if none are on the aisle. There’s an A and B terminal aisle so you could check both sides. The Orlando selection is one of the better choices I’ve seen.
Closingracer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:33 pm

I have done this with other companies but not National.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:15 pm

The last few times I've been to MCO, I had no problem getting a SUV or minivan off the aisle.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:32 pm

I would be curious as well. Obviously you would want to pay for the Minivan/SUV to guarantee it, but if you see one of those in the EA then you would want to grab it for the price of a midsize.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
My one recommendation is to make sure your pickup times for the reservations is for *after* the latest time you'd be picking up the car. That way, you can easily cancel the reservation you don't need in the National app or online. IME that requires a phone call after the pickup time.

I always like to make sure the reservation I'm not using is cancelled before I drive off the lot. If the booth agent sees you in a van, they may assume the van reservation is correct and charge accordingly, even if it's on the aisle.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by dtremit
My one recommendation is to make sure your pickup times for the reservations is for *after* the latest time you'd be picking up the car. That way, you can easily cancel the reservation you don't need in the National app or online. IME that requires a phone call after the pickup time.

I always like to make sure the reservation I'm not using is cancelled before I drive off the lot. If the booth agent sees you in a van, they may assume the van reservation is correct and charge accordingly, even if it's on the aisle.
Probably doesn't apply here, but some of the small stations "check you out" early in the morning, which actually makes it appear as if you already have a car, and neither you or anyone on the phone can edit or cancel the reservation.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
I do this regularly - and in fact was advised to make duplicate reservations by a National rep at a location in FL I frequent. The times can be identical - they'll simply ignore the van reservation if there's one on the aisle. As I say, I do it regularly when I need a bigger vehicle.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Probably doesn't apply here, but some of the small stations "check you out" early in the morning, which actually makes it appear as if you already have a car, and neither you or anyone on the phone can edit or cancel the reservation.
I think that's the case at non-Aisle locations (called Emerald Counter service and at these locations). Emerald Aisle locations (here) shouldn't normally do that, though they might if you reserve a specific car class and it's not an Emerald Reserve location--at Emerald Reserve locations, non-Aisle reservations get sent to a row corresponding to that class, whereas at non-Reserve locations, non-Aisle reservations will get assigned a specific car. At least I think that's how it works; been awhile since I've done a non-Aisle rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.