Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Frustrations: Multiple keys with no way of separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrations: Multiple keys with no way of separation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Angry Frustrations: Multiple keys with no way of separation

A majority of the time I rent, I am given multiple keys/fobs that are attached with a metal (unopenable) loop.

On most occasions, it's just me driving and I have no need for multiple keys, especially if they're attached. The most I've been given on one of these loops is two large key-integrated fobs and an additional key. How is that supposed to fit in a pocket??

On other occurrences, I have multiple drivers in my reservation and would like each of us to have a key. However, 100% of the time, these fobs are attached with the metal loop and I cannot accomplish this. I have to meet with the other drivers at odd times to trade the loop of 2+ keys.

Attempting to look from the perspective of National, they want all the keys to a car to move with that car. If I have a one-way rental, all of the keys should arrive at the return facility. If I lose a key, I'd be losing a whole bunch of keys, so they can charge a lot more in fees because you can never lose just one of them. I can only see this as a downside to the consumer. If National separated their key loops on request, they might be able to charge more key-loss fees to those that just lose 1 key.

Is there anything in Terms & Conditions that would prevent me from taking a wire-cutter to the key loop? I've called and complained a few times, but I know it goes no where. The rep said that I just had to return all of the keys I was given; there was no mention that the key loop also had to be returned or untouched.

Am I the only person this bothers so much?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mroseman13
A majority of the time I rent, I am given multiple keys/fobs that are attached with a metal (unopenable) loop.

On most occasions, it's just me driving and I have no need for multiple keys, especially if they're attached. The most I've been given on one of these loops is two large key-integrated fobs and an additional key. How is that supposed to fit in a pocket??

On other occurrences, I have multiple drivers in my reservation and would like each of us to have a key. However, 100% of the time, these fobs are attached with the metal loop and I cannot accomplish this. I have to meet with the other drivers at odd times to trade the loop of 2+ keys.

Attempting to look from the perspective of National, they want all the keys to a car to move with that car. If I have a one-way rental, all of the keys should arrive at the return facility. If I lose a key, I'd be losing a whole bunch of keys, so they can charge a lot more in fees because you can never lose just one of them. I can only see this as a downside to the consumer. If National separated their key loops on request, they might be able to charge more key-loss fees to those that just lose 1 key.

Is there anything in Terms & Conditions that would prevent me from taking a wire-cutter to the key loop? I've called and complained a few times, but I know it goes no where. The rep said that I just had to return all of the keys I was given; there was no mention that the key loop also had to be returned or untouched.

Most cars have push button start now, so the keys can just go in your bag/purse. Try this.

Also, if you want a key in your pocket, release the valet key and you now have the fob to put in your pocket. Give the valet key with the other complete key to your secondary driver. Easy peazy and done.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Silver, National EE, Hertz PC

I agree I hate this and I cut the wire all the time. Nobody has ever said a word.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jstarion
I agree I hate this and I cut the wire all the time. Nobody has ever said a word.
Me too. Just cut the wire. I do this on every rental because I hate carrying around that plastic tag. I just want to carry the key/fob itself. I just hand them in separately when I return.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:59 pm

So do you carry around wire cutters?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Most cars have push button start now, so the keys can just go in your bag/purse. Try this.
You realize most men don't carry purses, right?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Yup, that's why I said BAG/purse. Do you not have a computer BAG?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Most of the cars I've rented don't have push button start.

Not always. If I'm at the office and want to drive somewhere for lunch, I won't take my backpack with me. Nor when I'm getting in the car with my bag it is always close enough to the driver's seat to activate the systems.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Well, beside the fact I don't take it in with me when I go into restaurants and such, the smarter cars get cranky when you try to shut your key in the trunk. The dumber ones don't get cranky at all!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
For those who cut it, do you re-wire it before you returned the car? If you don't, have you had a situation where they claim you didn't return all the keys? It seems like it'd be easy to claim that a key was lost or for them to lose one and place the blame on you.

My guess would be that the one-way trips are the reason for keeping the keys together. In Hawaii, where one-ways aren't leaving the island, I usually receive just one key and the tag.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by qs933
For those who cut it, do you re-wire it before you returned the car? If you don't, have you had a situation where they claim you didn't return all the keys? It seems like it'd be easy to claim that a key was lost or for them to lose one and place the blame on you.

My guess would be that the one-way trips are the reason for keeping the keys together. In Hawaii, where one-ways aren't leaving the island, I usually receive just one key and the tag.
I have a bunch of those metal key rings (just the simple, cheap split rings) in my bag. I'm talking the really cheap, thin ones that bend easily. I usually put the plastic tag back on with one of them just before I return it. If I forget or don't have one on me, I just hand them both the key and the plastic tag. They've never said anything to me.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Assuming we're talking about this:

there's no need for wire cutters.

Hold one key in your left hand. Hold another key in your right hand, and start twisting. Keep going and the wire will break. Works every time.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:32 am

Most of the cars I've rented don't have push button start.
Interesting. The only cars that I receive from National that don't have push start are the Buicks, some still have a regular key for some reason.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Hold one key in your left hand. Hold another key in your right hand, and start twisting. Keep going and the wire will break. Works every time.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out next time and see how it goes.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Yes we noticed. That's why it takes you longer at the TSA checkpoint. Go through "oh you mean this cell phone will set off the alarm" Take cell phone out, go through again "oh you mean $20 worth of change in my pocket will set off alarm" and so on. LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.