Wiki Posts
Search

National vs Enterprise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

National vs Enterprise

Hi,

Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I'm looking into renting a car in Calgary (YYC), I'm an Emerald Executive.

Thanks

Last edited by jjoe123; Feb 12, 2017 at 8:19 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:31 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Absolutely National is better:

1. Skip the counter.
2. Book a midsize and choose from the Emerald Executive aisle
3. Like get a *much* nicer car than anything you'd get at Enterprise.

Essentially National is a no-brainer. That said, National is often (but not always) priced higher.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash

1. Skip the counter.

Essentially National is a no-brainer. That said, National is often (but not always) priced higher.

Depends on the area. National is almost always cheaper than enterprise at airport or local area in NYC though I tend to see. With the exception of Alamo I see National to be usually the cheapest at airport locations unless you want a higher end car or higher trims.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
I normally try to go with National.

However, in the IAD (DC) area, I've sometimes found Enterprise to have better rates at the local hotel locations. So if I need a rental locally, I always check Enterprise rates.

For one way rentals, say IAD>DCA/BWI, National makes more sense.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
You forgot #4: Avoiding the hard sell on Insurance.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
This is worth any difference in price alone.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:30 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
This is worth any difference in price alone.
+1 to that!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Totally agree. I don't know which is worse: the direct push or the passive-aggressive touches, such as writing in large letters across the contract "renter is 100% responsible" after I declined coverage. They are totally correct -- I am accepting full responsibility -- but it's clearly a method for pushing folks into taking their insurance.

#5 would be the fine-tooth, walk-through inspection with the agent looking for pre-existing damage. Actually not a bad thing (I don't know how many times I've walked back to the National agent to point out damage before taking the car), but also a way to get the squeamish to take the insurance.

On the other hand: I just picked up a rental at Enterprise in Vegas and was pleasantly surprised to get a 2017 Corolla SE (not the typical LE) with around 4K on the odometer and still had the new car smell.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
I will choose Enterprise when I want gouge my eyes out in frustration watching the lackie try and navigate the antiquated computer reservation system for 20 minutes then be given a car with only a 1/4 tank of gas.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash

1. Skip the counter.

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Depends on the area. National is almost always cheaper than enterprise at airport or local area in NYC though I tend to see. With the exception of Alamo I see National to be usually the cheapest at airport locations unless you want a higher end car or higher trims.
[Emphasis mine]

Hi all,

Figured I'd reply to this thread than to start a new one, since the question I have is similar.

Given a $50 price difference between National and Enterprise, and also the fact that I am picking up at a smaller "local" airport (SDF in KY) with no EA style pickup (for Hertz, National, or even Enterprise), should the no-brainer be to rent with National? And would I be correct in assuming that National will (usually) have the best trims?

I know this to be a fact when I was last actively renting (circa 2013), but wasn't sure if this assumption is still valid.

Thank you.

Best regards,
J
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by jerleong
[[b]Emphasis mine]

Hi all,

Figured I'd reply to this thread than to start a new one, since the question I have is similar.

Given a $50 price difference between National and Enterprise, and also the fact that I am picking up at a smaller "local" airport (SDF in KY) with no EA style pickup (for Hertz, National, or even Enterprise), should the no-brainer be to rent with National? And would I be correct in assuming that National will (usually) have the best trims?

I know this to be a fact when I was last actively renting (circa 2013), but wasn't sure if this assumption is still valid.

Thank you.

Best regards,
J
Which one is $50 cheaper?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Which one is $50 cheaper?
Sorry, I should have clarified.

In my case, Enterprise is $50 cheaper than National.

I would gladly pay $50 more over a 2 week period if National has better/higher trim vehicles in their fleet.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:17 pm

Sorry, I should have clarified.

In my case, Enterprise is $50 cheaper than National.

I would gladly pay $50 more over a 2 week period if National has better/higher trim vehicles in their fleet.
They're the same company and draw from the same fleet and sometimes the same employees. I'd go with Enterprise to save $50, using your National Emerald Club number to get the rental credits.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:50 pm

Noted, was hoping for National to be the "premium" offering - doesn't seem to be the case, so I will stick with Enterprise for $50 less with the same "Standard SUV" class. Hoping for something decent!

Also, how would one go about renting with Enterprise, and opting to use a National Emerald Club number instead?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Also, how would one go about renting with Enterprise, and opting to use a National Emerald Club number instead?
Sign in with your Emerald Club credentials on the Enterprise site. It’s in the upper right corner. You’ll need to select Emerald Club instead of Enterprise’s own loyalty program, which is the default.

Just to add, it’s a shared fleet, and if it’s a small location, might be moot, but anecdotally, I’ve generally received higher mileage vehicles at Enterprise. High-teens to high-twenties are the norm when I rent from Enterprise.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.