Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National's New CC Hold Policy - Potential Changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National's New CC Hold Policy - Potential Changes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
From what one has been hearing this new hold policy is National's way of dealing with a huge increase in fraud, especially those who rent for "X" amount of days but keep the vehicle longer. Apparently when National goes back to charge for the additional days often (at least often enough to warrant changes) it comes back declined from card issuer. At least by placing an additional hold above the days rented allows National a cushion.

Here in NYC weekday rate is about $92/day. An additional $250 will cover about two days including taxes and fees.

For the record National (at least from what one has seen in NYC) long has had problems with people gaming their system. That is keeping a vehicle for longer than the contract rental period.

To combat this several years ago National began charging current daily rate for "late" returns instead of whatever rate the vehicle went out at; but guess that wasn't enough.
They specifically allow people to extend their rental with the app and it's at the same rate as the original daily rate.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: Avis PC AmexPL Hertz5str MarriottPlt NetJets NationalEE InspiratoMember
San Antonio Texas no Hold
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:27 am

Picked up at LAS at 5:10 PM only charged price of rental no deposit.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Picked up on Xmas eve in Manhattan, NYC, and just checked my emails. Amex sent me a "large purchase" notice that $550 was placed on my card that same day from National.

Rental is $92/day x 3 days equals $300, plus $250 hold sums up to $550.....

Was told at time of rental that "we place a hold of $250 on all rentals....."

So one year later am back to square one with this, nothing has changed at least far as our rentals are concerned.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:09 pm

Any experience at SJC (San Jose, CA) with regard to extra/overage holds? TIA
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Oklahoma added one for $200 for those with an OK license. Have rented 2x in Tulsa and no hold, just the estimated charges. May not be for those with status?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Can confirm that the new hold policy has come to Canada. After renting on Nov 3 at YVR and having just the cost of rental authorized, I went to pick-up at the Pan Pacific downtown yesterday where my card declined when they tried to hit it for $200 over cost. I thought maybe it was just a local thing (since they were processing me at the Enterprise counter next door), but when I tried to make a res with National or Alamo at YVR, sure enough it's in the fine print on the confirmation that they now take a $200 over cost hold.

I totally get why they're doing this, as an Emerald Club renter on a free day could be driving off in a $50,000 car off the Aisle with a $3 hold on their card, but the sudden change was disappointing. If I had known ahead of time, I could've planned for it and made a larger payment on my card (it has a low limit and payments take 2-3 business days to clear). Also, I feel like for an Executive or Elite with an established trustworthy track record, there should be a more favourable hold policy than would exist for a first-time renter. Essentially now National is no different than an Enterprise down the block, or any of the other agencies really, so it leaves me more inclined to just shop on cost rather than paying for a set experience with Emerald Club. Not huffing and take my blocks out of the sandbox never to return, but just disappointed with the sudden unannounced roll-out after I'd gotten used to a certain way of them doing things for the last 12 years.

Also to make matters worse it appears the policy is different depending on where you go, even at corporate locations. Vancouver is $200 over cost, Edmonton and Calgary are 20% over, and Toronto it's 20% over, unless you have an Ontario DL then it's $250 plus 120% of the rental cost, and in any event the minimum hold is $250, which contradicts the first rule. At least other agencies are consistent at their corporate-owned locations.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Tulsa has a new policy where they are charging the card in the morning when I have an afternoon res. Putting a hold of $100 on a free rental.Won't let me make any changes once they run the card.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Received a "Large Purchase Approved" email from Amex on Tuesday indicating National (NYC location) placed a hold for twice total rental scheduled for pick-up on Wednesday with Friday return.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinMD
Tulsa has a new policy where they are charging the card in the morning when I have an afternoon res. Putting a hold of $100 on a free rental.Won't let me make any changes once they run the card.
National never has allowed changes to contract once they have been "pulled", at least not in any of the many years have used.

National claims it is part of good customer service and overall Emerald Club member experience that locations without aisle service (and maybe others) pull contracts day before or early day of rental so everything is ready when customer arrives. Then all counter agents/managers must do is attach a vehicle and customer is good to go. Sometimes a vehicle will already be attached to the reservation, so upon arrival everything again is good to go.

If you notice somewhere on wall behind counter is a large board where agents pull pre-printed contracts. Those are all EC reservations for day all lined up and ready to go. During busy times (holidays, weekends, etc...) imagine this saves counter only locations time and keeps things organized.

Early pulling of a contract does have advantages. If the CC is declined and or there are other problems with the reservation location will reach out to let customer know. This prevents any surprises upon arrival that cannot be cleared up easily. Have heard of people placed on "Do Not Rent" list for something cleared up months ago but system didn't show correct information. If manger hadn't reached out to those persons they would have arrived at a time when EC CS was closed (weekend/late evening) and thus unable to rent because location cannot override the DNR order.

Finally yes, once a contract is pulled everything is locked down. No changes can be made regarding payment (using a different credit card), using a coupon or EC free day, etc.. Happily coupons and other free days can be applied retroactively after vehicle is returned and reservation closed out. If you want charges to go onto another card on file just tell agent at time of return.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Can confirm that the new hold policy has come to Canada. After renting on Nov 3 at YVR and having just the cost of rental authorized, I went to pick-up at the Pan Pacific downtown yesterday where my card declined when they tried to hit it for $200 over cost. I thought maybe it was just a local thing (since they were processing me at the Enterprise counter next door), but when I tried to make a res with National or Alamo at YVR, sure enough it's in the fine print on the confirmation that they now take a $200 over cost hold.

I totally get why they're doing this, as an Emerald Club renter on a free day could be driving off in a $50,000 car off the Aisle with a $3 hold on their card, but the sudden change was disappointing. If I had known ahead of time, I could've planned for it and made a larger payment on my card (it has a low limit and payments take 2-3 business days to clear). Also, I feel like for an Executive or Elite with an established trustworthy track record, there should be a more favourable hold policy than would exist for a first-time renter. Essentially now National is no different than an Enterprise down the block, or any of the other agencies really, so it leaves me more inclined to just shop on cost rather than paying for a set experience with Emerald Club. Not huffing and take my blocks out of the sandbox never to return, but just disappointed with the sudden unannounced roll-out after I'd gotten used to a certain way of them doing things for the last 12 years.

Also to make matters worse it appears the policy is different depending on where you go, even at corporate locations. Vancouver is $200 over cost, Edmonton and Calgary are 20% over, and Toronto it's 20% over, unless you have an Ontario DL then it's $250 plus 120% of the rental cost, and in any event the minimum hold is $250, which contradicts the first rule. At least other agencies are consistent at their corporate-owned locations.
To be fair we discussed early on how National locations were making individual decisions about hold policy. What rolls in NYC doesn't seem to be the same as say Florida locations and so on.

Also to be fair all car rental and or share companies (such as Zipcar) have been hit with large amounts of fraud.

IIRC one of the most common schemes are those who keep vehicles longer than reservation, but upon return and the card is charged the new higher amount is declined. A larger hold gives National (like hotels and others who do same) a cushion in case actual charges run higher.

Yes, have heard of persons being caught off guard by high holds placed by National (hotels, or whatever), and suffering the embarrassment of having a card declined.

Equally recall during my college years and early post having low limit cards. There were times had to go and find a Western Union to wire funds to ensure a car rental home for holidays didn't use up entire remaining balance.

*Update*
When returning my rental earlier asked about NYC National hold policy, was told they add a straight extra $250 to any reservation regardless.

Last edited by BugsyPal; Nov 25, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.