Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National's New CC Hold Policy - Potential Changes?

Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

National now places an additional $250 hold on credit cards as a security deposit at time of rental. This is added to the amount of hold covering entire sum shown on rental agreement. Thus if the entire cost of rental comes to $200 the hold authorization will show as $450.

Just checked my AMEX pending transactions, and sure enough the new charge is reflected in total.

Asked CR while waiting for my vehicle what was up with this change, and was told National pretty much was the only rental place *not* adding additional security fees also that there was way too much fraud going on.

Didn't see where this was discussed before, so apologize if missed something, Just thought many would like a heads up for future. Since use AMEX and or have healthy open credit lines am not too worried. But for those sitting very close to the window's edge.....
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
National now places an additional $250 hold on credit cards as a security deposit at time of rental. This is added to the amount of hold covering entire sum shown on rental agreement. Thus if the entire cost of rental comes to $200 the hold authorization will show as $450.

Just checked my AMEX pending transactions, and sure enough the new charge is reflected in total.

Asked CR while waiting for my vehicle what was up with this change, and was told National pretty much was the only rental place *not* adding additional security fees also that there was way too much fraud going on.

Didn't see where this was discussed before, so apologize if missed something, Just thought many would like a heads up for future. Since use AMEX and or have healthy open credit lines am not too worried. But for those sitting very close to the window's edge.....
Incredibly strange - I'm at work this evening and all my authorizations have been for the rental amount only; perhaps it's something specific to this location?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Can anyone else confirm this? Seems like a big change to make without notifying customers.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

*Update*

Got on the phone with EC CS to see what is the deal, and apparently things have changed but vary by location.

The official line is that National still only places CC holds equal to the total cost of rental. However, and this varies by location, an additional fee/hold is now added at some locations. Obviously did not make the nice CS rep check very single National location in the USA and worldwide but here is a sampling.

It seems here in NYC all the locations in Manhattan, and the one in Brooklyn are now charging an additional $250 deposit on top of the credit card hold for total rental. LGA charges the same but only for renters who did *NOT* fly into the airport. So if you are someone (like me) who goes out to LGA to pick-up a vehicle then you'll likely be subject to the new hold requirement.

Asked the nice CS rep to check one other location at random, and we got Detroit, MI. That location adds and additional *$300* (again according to CS rep) hold on top of total cost of rental.

Upshot seems that one needs to contact or ask at time of rental from a specific location what their CC hold policy is regarding anything above the total cost of rental.

The EC CS rep stated while looking up the information that he already had several other telephone calls earlier today asking about these charges. He also agreed that fraud is happening *everywhere* which could be the reason behind this move by National. For what it is worth Enterprise long placed huge holds on CC for rentals, so guess someone decided it was time to tighten things up across the board.

I welcome anyone to contact National EC CC or their favourite location to verify. Would hate to be giving out false information. For the record cannot find any mention of these changes anywhere on National's website or anywhere else. Also do not know if these changes apply to rentals outside of the USA.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: National Executive Elite
Thumbs down

I can confirm they are now doing this in Charlotte as well
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:05 am

I wonder if it's for local renters only. There was a thread on here months ago that DTW was charging a $500 hold for local renters. Your local to New York Bugsy which is what you confirmed with National about NYC locations. Joepa26 are you local to Charlotte?

If he answers yes, then this would appear to affect only people who rent locally, not visitors. I guess this is where the fraud is going on.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I wonder if it's for local renters only. There was a thread on here months ago that DTW was charging a $500 hold for local renters. Your local to New York Bugsy which is what you confirmed with National about NYC locations. Joepa26 are you local to Charlotte?

If he answers yes, then this would appear to affect only people who rent locally, not visitors. I guess this is where the fraud is going on.
At least for NYC locations the change began in September and applies to *everyone* who rents from the Manhattan, Brooklyn and airport locations. It seems at one time it was something only applied to certain renters, but now is across the board.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
Can anyone else confirm this? Seems like a big change to make without notifying customers.
It's been happening off and on since earlier this year for me. I don't really care so NE error bothered to check my account every time
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:51 pm

*Update*

Got on the phone with EC CS to see what is the deal, and apparently things have changed but vary by location.

The official line is that National still only places CC holds equal to the total cost of rental. However, and this varies by location, an additional fee/hold is now added at some locations. Obviously did not make the nice CS rep check very single National location in the USA and worldwide but here is a sampling.

It seems here in NYC all the locations in Manhattan, and the one in Brooklyn are now charging an additional $250 deposit on top of the credit card hold for total rental. LGA charges the same but only for renters who did *NOT* fly into the airport. So if you are someone (like me) who goes out to LGA to pick-up a vehicle then you'll likely be subject to the new hold requirement.

Asked the nice CS rep to check one other location at random, and we got Detroit, MI. That location adds and additional *$300* (again according to CS rep) hold on top of total cost of rental.

Upshot seems that one needs to contact or ask at time of rental from a specific location what their CC hold policy is regarding anything above the total cost of rental.

The EC CS rep stated while looking up the information that he already had several other telephone calls earlier today asking about these charges. He also agreed that fraud is happening *everywhere* which could be the reason behind this move by National. For what it is worth Enterprise long placed huge holds on CC for rentals, so guess someone decided it was time to tighten things up across the board.

I welcome anyone to contact National EC CC or their favourite location to verify. Would hate to be giving out false information. For the record cannot find any mention of these changes anywhere on National's website or anywhere else. Also do not know if these changes apply to rentals outside of the USA.

The last time I rented from Brooklyn they didn't but this was a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
It's been happening off and on since earlier this year for me. I don't really care so NE error bothered to check my account every time
In the grand scheme of things it is only an authorization hold. Long as you return the vehicle and or comply with terms of RA it shouldn't bother most renters. Only persons can see being affected are those sitting very close to the window's edge when it comes to their credit card's limit.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:56 pm

At least for NYC locations the change began in September and applies to *everyone* who rents from the Manhattan, Brooklyn and airport locations. It seems at one time it was something only applied to certain renters, but now is across the board.
I've had rentals in Boston, Dallas and Fort Lauderdale in Oct/Nov. Haven't noticed any hold. Have a upcoming LAX one, so will report back.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:40 pm

In the grand scheme of things it is only an authorization hold. Long as you return the vehicle and or comply with terms of RA it shouldn't bother most renters. Only persons can see being affected are those sitting very close to the window's edge when it comes to their credit card's limit.

I'll be in trouble if a hold would make me worry. The card I usually use which is my Citi thank you premier has $6,000 limit. If you have a low limit card ask for a increase.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Yes I am local to Charlotte.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:28 pm

It seems to be a local renter only thing. I called a couple of locations, MCI said no hold at all. SAT said 20% over the rental price hold. The central 800 number told me that MCI charges that 20% too, but the agent at the location said very plainly that they don't charge holds at all.

Again, this is for non local renters. YMMV if you have a local license.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
If you have a low limit card ask for a increase.
It it were only that easy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.