Wiki Posts
Search

First bad Experience with natl- key west

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
First bad Experience with natl- key west

Ok, not sure if I should be annoyed at this, but had no clue that national at key west is actually NOT at the airport....no indication when I booked-- all the otjer rental companies are trying to get me tonite to rent from them, I finally found the desk phone and. They said wait for the shuttle. Te shuttle comes and the driver hops out to tell us tht there are no cars left, even though I had an email welcoming me to key west and that my car was ready .......
Finally about 30 min later I get a car from thrifty. First off, I should have been notified that their center is out of the airport, and secondly, as a loyal exec me ever who only rents from national I expect more from them.
Am I just being crabby?? I mea. It reminds me of the Seinfeld scene--what's the point of a reservation?
Thanks for your thoughts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The off-airport nature of the location is identified in the pickup & return location when using the airport code for a reservation. That issue is solely on you.

Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The off-airport nature of the location is identified in the pickup & return location when using the airport code for a reservation. That issue is solely on you.
The location may be, but the lack of a car for an EE certainly isn't.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

My bad. Should I email or call them because I really am unhappy about this....
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:25 pm

Google Map the location.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Unfortunately, occasionally they're out of cars. You'll find many EE have had the same experience. Luckily not too frequently.

They should make it up to you with paying the difference and/or free days. Write in.

They should also have TOLD you when you called that they had no car and saved you the time
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:42 am
Original Poster

I did call and speak to someone- my main issue is not being told on the phone that there were no cars....

Last edited by nlkm9; Oct 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Ok so I did call and spoke to a very nice woman who promised someone would get back to me. A week later, no call or email. I'm not impressed at all,I called today and was told they had no idea why no one got back to me, and said they would give me 2 free rental days. I still would have preferred the situation to have not happened.. But oh wel...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah
Unfortunately, occasionally they're out of cars. You'll find many EE have had the same experience. Luckily not too frequently.

They should make it up to you with paying the difference and/or free days. Write in.

They should also have TOLD you when you called that they had no car and saved you the time
Yes, it wasn't there not having a car that was so bad, it was the fact that I could have saved so much time if I was just told there were no cars....
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:23 pm

Relax dude it's an island
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboJet
Relax dude it's an island
Yes an island where I had an appointment for work at. And I'm a dudette
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by nlkm9
Yes an island where I had an appointment for work at.
Well good luck with that. I used to do some contracting for people that owned houses up north and EYW. Had to give it up since the island mentality was just too much to take. Like if you happen to miss the local people on your appointment time you might not see them again for a couple of weeks. Them showing up at 10 and leaving at 2 was frustrating too.
And I'm a dudette
For that I am sorry but it probably didn't figure into your problem.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboJet
Well good luck with that. I used to do some contracting for people that owned houses up north and EYW. Had to give it up since the island mentality was just too much to take. Like if you happen to miss the local people on your appointment time you might not see them again for a couple of weeks. Them showing up at 10 and leaving at 2 was frustrating too.

For that I am sorry but it probably didn't figure into your problem.
LOl--my point is that as an EE that stays extremely loyal to National, and when I received an email saying my car was ready, I was not wrong to expect that. they should have told me immediately so i could have secured a car from someone else and gotten to where I needed to be. I would have been much more relaxed about it if I was there for vacation and not work.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
LOl--my point is that as an EE that stays extremely loyal to National, and when I received an email saying my car was ready, I was not wrong to expect that. they should have told me immediately so i could have secured a car from someone else and gotten to where I needed to be. I would have been much more relaxed about it if I was there for vacation and not work.
It's an auto-email they send out a few hours before pickup time. During that one or two hours, it's very realistic that their lot went from multiple cars to none.

However I agree with you, if they can't guarantee a car (which none of the car rental companies can) then they shouldn't send out an email saying that your car is ready.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:35 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
No cars?

I'm thinking about renting out of EYW for the first time, and a search turned this thread up first. I admit I found this discussion a little unsettling. So unless I missed something, is it true as this thread suggests that if I have a reservation for a car here they may or may not have one when I arrive?! I have never heard of such a thing as SOP, even for small locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.