Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone renting from National at MIA any time soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

If you are, could you please do me a favor and ask if they still have the free shuttle from the rental car center over to the Port of Miami?

I was under the impression from recent threads over at cruisecritic that they do but in asking a question about it directly to National, their response was that there is no shuttle.

Just wondering if someone who is renting from National at MIA can ask and let me know definitively if they have the shuttle or not and if they do, does it run on a set schedule, i.e. every 30 minutes, or just like most other airport shuttles, it's on a somewhat continuous cycle?

Thanks to anyone who can help out.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by justhere
If you are, could you please do me a favor and ask if they still have the free shuttle from the rental car center over to the Port of Miami?

I was under the impression from recent threads over at cruisecritic that they do but in asking a question about it directly to National, their response was that there is no shuttle.

Just wondering if someone who is renting from National at MIA can ask and let me know definitively if they have the shuttle or not and if they do, does it run on a set schedule, i.e. every 30 minutes, or just like most other airport shuttles, it's on a somewhat continuous cycle?

Thanks to anyone who can help out.
I'm there this Sunday but not until 11pm. I'll inquire and see if I get anywhere. Unless someone else does before me.

-A
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Call me crazy, but couldn't you pretty-much use this as a free one-stop shuttle from MIA to the port?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List Preferred, DL Gold, AA Gold, National EE
I used their shuttle in March to the port. They required a receipt in order to board and on return from our cruise, took the shuttle back to the airport...again, they asked for proof of a reservation.

The CSR who gave you that info might have been confused since the rental car facility is serviced by a tram rather than shuttles from the airport.

So, don't know if they have made any changes recently....but they offered the service in March.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Anaom - appreciate you checking so that I have a current status on that.

IsleOfMan - as doskolik notes you have to provide proof of a reservation to use the shuttle. Same at FLL. I saw the driver at Port Everglades deny a customer access to the bus because he didn't have a copy of his reservation. Now, there was no validation by the driver that the reservation hadn't been cancelled so use that information as you see fit. From FLL to Port Everglades I had to show my receipt so just a reservation print out probably wouldn't work that way.

doskoli - thanks for the info. I asked National by submitting the question on their website and their response specifically said there was no shuttle to the port of Miami. Hopefully it hasn't changed in the last few months and Anaom can let me know.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Anaom - appreciate you checking so that I have a current status on that.

IsleOfMan - as doskolik notes you have to provide proof of a reservation to use the shuttle. Same at FLL. I saw the driver at Port Everglades deny a customer access to the bus because he didn't have a copy of his reservation. Now, there was no validation by the driver that the reservation hadn't been cancelled so use that information as you see fit. From FLL to Port Everglades I had to show my receipt so just a reservation print out probably wouldn't work that way.

doskoli - thanks for the info. I asked National by submitting the question on their website and their response specifically said there was no shuttle to the port of Miami. Hopefully it hasn't changed in the last few months and Anaom can let me know.
Edit: Well it just occurred to me after seeing a similar question about the shuttle at FLL, National probably does not have a shuttle to the Port of Miami but the rental car center does. As it is likely a common carrier shuttle, National's answer that they don't have a shuttle is likely correct but there would be a shuttle run by the airport/rental car center.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List Preferred, DL Gold, AA Gold, National EE
Edit: Well it just occurred to me after seeing a similar question about the shuttle at FLL, National probably does not have a shuttle to the Port of Miami but the rental car center does. As it is likely a common carrier shuttle, National's answer that they don't have a shuttle is likely correct but there would be a shuttle run by the airport/rental car center.
Actually, the shuttle was not for the rental car center.....it was an Alamo/National shuttle. Other brands were not included.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
So I got in late last night. I asked two people. The person when you first exit (he looked at me like I had three heads). He responded with he had never heard of anything from the rental car center. He said to try the airport and ask over there. The second was the sole person in the checkout booth. He tried calling to find out but asked if I could call tomorrow as there was a line of about 10 people trying to get out and he was the only cashier.

So unfortunately, I wasn't much help.

Good luck..

-A
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anaom
So I got in late last night. I asked two people. The person when you first exit (he looked at me like I had three heads). He responded with he had never heard of anything from the rental car center. He said to try the airport and ask over there. The second was the sole person in the checkout booth. He tried calling to find out but asked if I could call tomorrow as there was a line of about 10 people trying to get out and he was the only cashier.

So unfortunately, I wasn't much help.

Good luck..

-A
Thank you so much for trying!! I do appreciate it. After seeing your response I was able to find the local tel# for National at MIA but no one answered so I tried the Alamo number. The lady I spoke with said that there is still a shuttle over to the port of Miami and it runs about every hour. So it seems, at least for now, there is an Alamo/National shuttle.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
We were just there this past March. There was/is a shuttle to and from the port. As others have mentioned, you will need to show a receipt to board the shuttle. It is one of the full size bus shuttles. They run about every 15-20 minutes, not every hour.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by genotonda
We were just there this past March. There was/is a shuttle to and from the port. As others have mentioned, you will need to show a receipt to board the shuttle. It is one of the full size bus shuttles. They run about every 15-20 minutes, not every hour.
Awesome, thank you!!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Car Exec Elite
My Out-laws used the shuttle last December. I don't have all the details re: showing receipts, etc, but they said it was very convenient and it worked for them.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:44 am

Isn't this thread redundant with Cars at MIA?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Isn't this thread redundant with Cars at MIA?
Not at all. The OP is inquiring about a National-sponsored shuttle to the Port of Miami. The Cars at MIA thread is an ongoing report of cars sighted in the ES and EA at MIA. The only thing these two threads have in common is the locale.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plagwate
Not at all. The OP is inquiring about a National-sponsored shuttle to the Port of Miami. The Cars at MIA thread is an ongoing report of cars sighted in the ES and EA at MIA. The only thing these two threads have in common is the locale.
Thank you plagwate. As you noted, my question has absolutely nothing to do with the cars at MIA.

I will just add that it seems when you contact National via their website with questions like these, they don't actually do any real legwork on the answer. It appears that they just look at their computer and see what the location has posted in the notes. Their initial response said National doesn't have a shuttle. When I responded asking them to double check as it sounds like Alamo has a shuttle (and I haven't seen separate Alamo and National shuttles in quite some time) they answered by copying and pasting info about Alamo that mentioned the shuttle to the Port of Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.