Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at CUN

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Cars at CUN

What can I expect for an intermediate automatic or manual at CUN? Since there is only counter service, is there any different treatment for Emerald Club members? Any general tips about renting a car in Mexico?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2012, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Nobody here has ever rented a car in Mexico? hmmmm

It's the first time I'm gonna rent in a contry like this so I'm a bit nervous... Even a "relax it's gonna be ok" sort of a reply will be appreciated.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by apk123
Nobody here has ever rented a car in Mexico? hmmmm

It's the first time I'm gonna rent in a contry like this so I'm a bit nervous... Even a "relax it's gonna be ok" sort of a reply will be appreciated.
Are bulletproof windows included?
Old May 4, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Any general tips about renting a car in Mexico?
Look for speed bumps upon entry to any town. Slow w-a-y down.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
I rented at National at CUN about three years ago. It is small, don't remember any special treatment for Emerald. Car selection is of course entirely different than US locations but the process was quite painless. Speed bumps as mentioned earlier, good tip - other than I am sure it will be fine!
Old May 14, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
1) Check with your credit card on insurance coverage. You may be completely covered in Mexico. If so, get them to provide you proof so you can turn down their overpriced (and in some cases unnecessary) insurance -- despite their scare tactics
2) Do a much more thorough walkaround of the car when you pick it up. Note small nicks and scratches. Take advantage of your digital camera to document condition.
3) Don't count on getting any upgrades

Roads in the Yucatan are in good condition -- the highway to Merida is in great shape (high tolls but worth it) and the highway south to Playa and Tulum is just like driving in the US other than the speedbumps. Have fun!
Old May 14, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. Where exactly are those speed bumps? On the highways or in the town roads? I'm planning to go to Tulum (where I will be staying) and from there to the ruins and maybe to another town or two. I really don't want to crush into speed bumps..

also are the cars there equipped with the typical safety and convinience features that american rental cars come with, or can I get a car without say, power steering or air bags? I have only driven late model american market cars (got my liscence only 4 years ago) so a little worried that I will have tough time adjusting.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In normal conditions one will not notice the presence or absence of an airbag...

Mexican market vehicles can be equipped more economically (maybe smaller engines or cranked windows as an example) than typical U.S. market cars. Stay away from the cheapest rental classes.

Mexican speed bumps are huge. If you're inattentive and hit one at speed you may well break something. Don't be inattentive.
Old May 15, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks everybody. Where exactly are those speed bumps? On the highways or in the town roads? I'm planning to go to Tulum (where I will be staying) and from there to the ruins and maybe to another town or two. I really don't want to crush into speed bumps..
They're usually at the beginning and end of every town; sometimes in the middle too. While there are fewer on the highways, you'll still encounter them. You can't miss them if you are paying attention

also are the cars there equipped with the typical safety and convinience features that american rental cars come with, or can I get a car without say, power steering or air bags? I have only driven late model american market cars (got my liscence only 4 years ago) so a little worried that I will have tough time adjusting.
Don't get the lowest class car; even what passes for midsize may surprise you. That said, other than the drive to Tulum (less than 2 hours) and around there, you won't be doing a ton of driving so no need to spend a ton on your car.

Tulum is great. I recommend driving South into the Biosphere to explore some of the deserted beaches. When visiting the ruins, go first thing in the morning to escape the crowds. Similarly, when you go to Coba, go early to avoid the crowds and heat.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:21 am
Original Poster

I reserved intermediate (it was very cheap, much more than for the next higher class). Is this too lowly of a car class? It will be only two people and I don't mind the equivalent of an american market base kia rio for this trip since we won't be spending much time in the car.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I'm in Mexico now. Got upgraded to full size, Volkswagen jetta clasico (early 2000's jetta with a different design). Although considered full size it doesnt have basics such as automatic windows/mirrors, cruise control and center consule storage. It does have usb port and bluetooth though. Other cars I noticed are 2012 hyundai accent., 2012 passat and a few Volkswagen gol (not golf...) hatchbacks.

Thanks guys for the speed bump warnings, they are indeed common. Luckily they usually have signs for them.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:44 pm

This place is a dump. I just sent National a complaint.

I'm Executive Elite and they did not upgrade my mid-size car reservation, which was a Dodge Attitude (would clearly be a compact car in the US). The car was garbage (drifted, no digital console) and had no windshield wiper fluid in it. I had to go to a convenience store to buy some. I told them at the center and they said "they'd put a note on my account."

The center is also attached to a travel agency and you have a guy try to prey on you to sign up for stuff while you're waiting for your rental car to arrive. I have no patience for .... like that, especially when getting off a long flight.

Usually have great luck with National, but this was a joke.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
NYCRachel, thanks for helpful feedback. I'll be renting soon from Cancun and will definitive go for a higher car class. Used to the PCAR and above as an EE too. I wonder, have you seen when you were there what they have in the fleet for Standard SUV? I've read an much older review that the Cancun location does not have Standard SUV and would upgrade to a Tahoe or similar but things may have changed.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by zerolife
NYCRachel, thanks for helpful feedback. I'll be renting soon from Cancun and will definitive go for a higher car class. Used to the PCAR and above as an EE too. I wonder, have you seen when you were there what they have in the fleet for Standard SUV? I've read an much older review that the Cancun location does not have Standard SUV and would upgrade to a Tahoe or similar but things may have changed.
Sorry... didn't check out what they had. Good luck! Pretend you only speak French or something when the travel agency starts to annoy you!
Old Dec 10, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Bumping this up, any updates, class of car to book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.