Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-Way Car Choice - Strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
One-Way Car Choice - Strategy?

Hey all,

So I have a one-way FCAR booked next week (24th-27th) from YVR to YYZ. I'll be going to YVR on the 23rd to rent a car for one day, then go to South Terminal to switch the contract from the local one day to the one-way on free days.

As I will be taking the car back to Victoria on the local rental to load it up with all my stuff, I'd really like to keep the same car. I have Executive Selection for the first rental, and then I'd like to renew the contract at South Terminal since it's closer to where I'm coming from, and I'll still earn rental credits by dodging the consecutive rental trap.

However, I know YVR and their obsession with sending people on one-ways with cars from the destination station. Thus, they may want me in an ON-plated car that won't just be sitting on the aisle. My concern is if I self-identify at the counter and show them my two reservations, they may have only one junky car to pick from and INSIST that I HAVE to take it.

So my other option would be to pick what I want to drive off the aisle and then call them after I've left to see if I can use it the next day. Seeing as I'm picking up from South, that'd be one less car for them to ferry over so they may agree. I'd ideally like to get a Fusion or 2011 Sonata, lots of room, comfortable, and equipped with USB, sat radio and Bluetooth.

So what should I do, approach the counter for instructions or just pick a car and phone ahead after?

Sorry for the rambly post, it's been a long day and I'm ready for bed. I appreciate the forthcoming replies!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:54 am

You're going cross Canada in a one-way rental car? Cool. Is this with the Trans-Canada Highway?

By the way, wouldn't YVR and YYZ both be corporate stores? In which case, why would they care about the license plates? Some people here said YVR sent them with a US-plated car to SEA, but not necessarily WA plates.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
One thing.. don't make the one way reservation until 24hr before. This will give less chance of them flagging you in the system.

Are you going through YYC? You could do a one way to there, then another to YYZ. P/U an extra rental credit. YVR may be less sticky about a BC plate going there.. and YYC prolly won't care and will let you stay in whatever you're driving.

Ron.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
You're going cross Canada in a one-way rental car? Cool. Is this with the Trans-Canada Highway?

By the way, wouldn't YVR and YYZ both be corporate stores? In which case, why would they care about the license plates? Some people here said YVR sent them with a US-plated car to SEA, but not necessarily WA plates.
Unfortunately not this trip. I'll be going I-90 to Billings and then I-94 through North Dakota and Minnesota into Illinois, then up through Michigan and into Ontario. Routing through the US saves time, and cost on hotels and gas. When I potentially make the final move with Ms. Tuneman1984 we'll stay in Canada as the van would be loaded with boxes and personal effects.

I agree that YVR might be alright with sending ANY corp car to Ontario since I see a lot of various plates even on the EA/ES at YVR. Perhaps they're just sticky about cross-border rentals and franchisees. My experience with YVR has been mostly YVR-YYJ one-ways, where YYJ is a franchise so they want to get their own cars back.

Originally Posted by newfbc
One thing.. don't make the one way reservation until 24hr before. This will give less chance of them flagging you in the system.

Are you going through YYC? You could do a one way to there, then another to YYZ. P/U an extra rental credit. YVR may be less sticky about a BC plate going there.. and YYC prolly won't care and will let you stay in whatever you're driving.

Ron.
I appreciate the tip, but I'll probably just leave it as is. YVR only JUST got rid of mileage caps on one-ways about a month ago, so I booked this rental on free days the moment I saw them offering unlimited mileage. Before that, I was planning on going YVR-SEA, SEA-DTW, DTW-YYZ at considerably more cost.

I remember YYC didn't care that I was renting YYC-YYJ last year. I had a Standard SUV booked and they let me take a Grand Caravan from a Fullsize slot since they had no SUVs pulled up. The supervisor looking over the shoulder of the booth rep simply confirmed by dropoff location, but said nothing more. However as mentioned above, I'll be driving straight through the US on this trip anyways. I did try to get an extra rental credit by switching contracts at South Terminal however.

So is the general consensus that I should just pick a car off the aisle for my local rental and then try to keep it for the one-way? Chances are if they see it's loaded with junk they might let it slip just out of the interests of keeping me happy. Worst case scenario, I get something I don't like and invent a problem with it on the drive to Main Terminal.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:04 pm

When I potentially make the final move with Ms. Tuneman1984 we'll stay in Canada as the van would be loaded with boxes and personal effects.

You're moving?

24 hours before might have a higher rate.

I agree that YVR might be alright with sending ANY corp car to Ontario since I see a lot of various plates even on the EA/ES at YVR. Perhaps they're just sticky about cross-border rentals and franchisees. My experience with YVR has been mostly YVR-YYJ one-ways, where YYJ is a franchise so they want to get their own cars back.

You should see the National and Hertz lots at HPN each summer. So many FL plates between the two of them, I have to remind myself I'm not in Ft. Lauderdale.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Yep, moving to Ontario with the hopes of finding a job in my field: communications and PR. There's nothing out here in Victoria, and Vancouver might have prospects but is a VERY expensive place to live. I don't mind Ontario as I grew up there, and housing in decent areas is reasonably affordable.

Back on topic, the 24 hour thing wouldn't burn me so much as I'm redeeming free days. However, I'd be more worried of not being able to secure a reservation, or suddenly getting one with a 200 km/day cap as YVR has been doing for most of the last year.

I notice they're only offering Economy-Fullsize, but also Minivans. I remember when YVR kept Minivans on their Emerald Reserve aisle and you'd literally see one of each province from here to Ontario. I thought about booking a van since I know what I'd be getting regardless of province, but I'd like to avoid driving a minivan long distance for now if I can. And since Ms. Tuneman1984 is staying behind to finish school and we're keeping our suite here, I only need to take basic items with me this trip (kitchenware, clothes, and computer). Easily a fullsize carload.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.