Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Emerald Club pricing worse than non-members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons

Needed a car at YVR next week with a drop at YLW a week later. Logged in as an EC member and the best I could see was compact/midsize/standard at $291/$300/$303 respecively, BUT they all had a $0.25/km charge, due to the drop, no doubt. With a 1000 km planned, this would cost me some serious coin.

Tried a few coupons and nothing seemed to help, then decided to log in without using my EC membership; prices became $300/$324/$360 respectively BUT the km charge disappeared. AND, I used an Entertainment cpn to get a two tier upgrade. So I ended up paying $300 for a standard with no km charges; not too bad for a one-way in peak season.

WHY would National penalize their EC members and give them a worse deal than non-members?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I suspect the effect wasn't from the Emerald Club login, but from the Contract ID associated with the Club login. Log in, but delete the entry from the field.

Separately, non-rate terms (especially insurance coverage and dropfees) can vary significantly with/without Contract ID. Watch carefully for your own situation.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I suspect the effect wasn't from the Emerald Club login, but from the Contract ID associated with the Club login. Log in, but delete the entry from the field.

Separately, non-rate terms (especially insurance coverage and dropfees) can vary significantly with/without Contract ID. Watch carefully for your own situation.
I've tried this before, and when you delete the Contract ID, the system automatically puts in your preferred Contract ID on your profile, which by default is 5007125, the EC discount.

The system doesn't think it's giving you a "worse deal" as the daily rate is lower. When the location is charging $90+ per day for a Midsize car, the EC discount code locks the rate at a maximum of around $54 per day iirc. Of course, you'll end up paying more on a one-way when the mileage charges kick in even if the daily rate is lower. I've found the per km charge isn't bad for short one-ways, like Banff-Calgary that I did once, which came to $85 tax and mileage in compared to $200+ per day before tax for the same car with unlimtied mileage.

Try using Contract ID 5000304. It's the Walmart discount code and doesn't require any special ID or conditions to use it. It's a "rider" code, meaning it offers a discount on the going rate rather than a set daily price. It should give you 10% off the rate you got when you didn't log in to EC. Let us know if this works!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Alternately, log out, search for the reservation, and see if there is a rate code in the result -- then delete the contract ID and enter the rate code on the logged-in site.

Or call -- the phone agents are usually happy to work around this sort of thing.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Try using Contract ID 5000304. It's the Walmart discount code and doesn't require any special ID or conditions to use it. It's a "rider" code, meaning it offers a discount on the going rate rather than a set daily price. It should give you 10% off the rate you got when you didn't log in to EC. Let us know if this works!
It worked: 10% off the compact, plus unlimited free km, no drop charge, and double upgrade all still there.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by BondGuy
It worked: 10% off the compact, plus unlimited free km, no drop charge, and double upgrade all still there.

Many thanks!
Happy to help! Word of caution on one-ways with YVR, they're quite insistant on sending cars that belong to the drop location, and YLW is a franchise. You might not get to pick what you want off the aisle, as they could have one exact car in your category that they want to send back.

Back in January I had a one-way booked to YYJ and they aisle was down due to lack of staff. The agent suddenly jumped from his computer when he saw it was a one-way and tore into the key cabinet and gave me an Elantra for my Fullsize booking. When I said no, I booked a Fullsize and that's what I expect, he came back with keys to a Subaru Forester which worked out fine.

I'd go by what your confirmation says, which might say "Counter" since you've applied an upgrade coupon. If it does say you have "Emerald Reserve" or "Emerald Club Aisle", I'd just go pick out a car and then see what they say at the exit booth.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:40 am

Does YVR do that for one-ways to corporate stores in the US, ex SEA? I recall you mentioned something about it once.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Does YVR do that for one-ways to corporate stores in the US, ex SEA? I recall you mentioned something about it once.
I've done several one ways to the US (SEA). They've always had a US plated vehicle ready for me.

Ron.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
I've done several one ways to the US (SEA). They've always had a US plated vehicle ready for me.

Ron.
Which makes you wonder why you're paying horrendously more than the regular going rate just to send a car back home to where it belongs. One-way fees, mileage caps, and high daily rates are meant to mitigate cars leaving their home, not vice versa.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Which makes you wonder why you're paying horrendously more than the regular going rate just to send a car back home to where it belongs. One-way fees, mileage caps, and high daily rates are meant to mitigate cars leaving their home, not vice versa.
I've often thought about mentioning that. Getting a discount for helping them get a car across the border.

Ron.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:10 pm

US-plated as in Washington State? Or was the car from another US corporate store, sent back to the US with you to continue its random nomadic walk all over the country?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.