Wiki Posts
Search

Wall Street Journal looking to talk to travelers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:55 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Wall Street Journal looking to talk to travelers

A reporter for The Wall Street Journal is looking to chat with a FlyerTalker or two or three that has purchased one-way tickets or pairs of one-way tickets since the beginning of March. (looking into the idea that some frequent flyers have resolved to this type of ticket purchasing because of the uncertainty of the war)

If you fit this request, let me know and I'll pass you along to the reporter. My email is mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by Randy Petersen (edited 03-27-2003).]
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Frankly I am very aggravated with the reporters from the WSJ. I was contacted in the past regarding a topic. I wrote a thoughtful response (via email) and he replied asking for my number because he had follow up questions. I sent my name and number and a mutually agreed upon time. I stayed near the phone during that time and he never called nor did he followup with an email apology for missing our appointment. I will not be answering anymore questions from them.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 8:46 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

That does happen some times, even to me. However, the WSJ reporters are all top notch and what you describe is generally because of changed directions from editors, moved up deadlines, too much input, and others in the news organizations that re-assign reporters to other topics with little or no notice. It's really more the business of news rather than the WSJ and it's really never personal. I've dealt with them for 17 years and have learned to live through what you describe. I'm sure i felt the same way the first time it happened to me. And I'm sure that I have even made the same error in interviewing others because of the very same circumstances I've described above.

All that aside - still a top notch newspaper and one i would never replace reading.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You buy a one way ticket - why??? Because, in case of some awful circumstance with the war (nuking SF??), you decide not to come home? Sounds farfetched to me. I figure that if things are that bad, cost will be small potatoes compared to all other considerations.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:44 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

More about flexibity and cancelled flights and other things beyond the control of a normally restricted round-trip ticket. Events cause by the uncertainty, not it itself.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I buy only one way tickets. But it has nothing to do with the war.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prncess674:
Frankly I am very aggravated with the reporters from the WSJ. I was contacted in the past regarding a topic. </font>
I've been contacted by the WSJ (Costello) in the past and feel i was treated courteously and reported correctly. Unfortunately she isn't with WSJ now, but they are still, IMHO, (next to FT of course) the best national travel news source.

Bruce

Old Mar 28, 2003, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I've been contacted by two WSJ reporters in the past and they were both polite, professional and used the information I provided in news reports they were working on.

i was contacted directly by the wsj reporters, probably by checking my FT email address.

They need imput and we are a resource, background source and deep background.

RC
Old Mar 28, 2003, 5:46 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen2:
You buy a one way ticket - why??? Because, in case of some awful circumstance with the war (nuking SF??), you decide not to come home? </font>
Ah, is that the plan? I thought it was going to be Disneyland (which has extra Federal security measures over both Chicago and the Bay Area)!

As for one-ways, why buy them? Full Y for the flexibility I can understand (but only if you get an automatic upgrade; see my UserName) but a one-way can often be just as restricted as a bucket fare.

Also, don't companies like WN and B6 only sell one-ways?

I recently bought a one-way ("V") from SNA to OAK on AS for USD78.75 because I had another mode to use for the return trip. This ticket, using web check-in, garnered me my first "SSSS" on the BP, but there is apparently no longer any gate screenings at John Wayne, so down the jetway went I unmolested.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 6:20 pm
Suspended

I'm waiting for the WSJ to realize that many people are not flying, NOT because of the war.....but because of crappy airline service, especially inside the airplane with grannies, no food, pay for drinks, unhealthy air and *attitude* given by employees of US owned airlines. next is the bogus "unlocked check bag policy" of the TSA and the abhorent rudeness of many GAs. Lastly, the price gouging at airports from food to gas stations in the area and the fact that airports are pathetically constructed to be inefficient. Boarding a plane is a joke! Everyone piles in, walking through classes of service they don't belong in.

I restrict the areas where I fly because of all of the above.

As for the war, I watched billions of Godzilla films...it doesn't affect me at all.
Go USA, UK, OZ, Poland, Denmark, Japan and all the allies!

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 03-28-2003).]
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SHADO:
Everyone piles in, walking through classes of service they don't belong in.
</font>
No kidding...this has gotten way out of hand. I hate it when I'm sitting in F trying to enjoy a glass of champagne while people are walking through on their way to coach. Can't they load the proletariats through the tail stairway? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Mar 29, 2003, 7:03 am

I agree with PINNIPED!
Those people in the back dress so tacky I'm
ashamed to fly with them http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:33 am

Pinniped.. they want the proletariats like me to envy you and your status and join you on our next flight... if we can learn to dress better http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
I've been contacted by two WSJ reporters in the past and they were both polite, professional and used the information I provided in news reports they were working on.

i was contacted directly by the wsj reporters, probably by checking my FT email address.

They need imput and we are a resource, background source and deep background.

RC
</font>
Same here. The WSJ reporter who contacted me was very polite and professional.
Generally, I find the reporters from the fine newspapers and magazines very professional. For instance, they always asked for permission to quote me (or not) ... etc.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 5:26 pm

Boarding a plane is a joke! Everyone piles
in, walking through classes of
service they don't belong in -- SHADO

There are worse problems, but I oberve that
NWA's Boeing 757 service from SFO to DTW boards
at the second door by row 14; from here,
coach is aft and first class is ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.