Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Going postal"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

"Going postal"

First, with all deference to the generally great employees of the USPS, I use this as a generic term to represent day traders etc. that go ballistic and start shooting coworkers and customers.

The question is, how long will it be, if ever, before one of the National Guard types develops a brain tumor or just a bad attitude, and starts shooting??? What precautions are being taken?

Do they really need those automatic weapons? Unless they're expecting an armed brigade storming Security, wouldn't pistols allow them to cope with most any contingency?

I sure hope that I'm worried about nothing, but this happens often enough in the outside world that I hope that somebody has at least considered the possibility in Airports.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 1:08 pm

I think this is a silly worry. You could say the same about any Police Officer or anyone else in a similar position that is legally armed.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 1:17 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
i agree... they could do just about as much damage with a 9mm beretta as with their M-16s.

and please don't say "M-16's are automatic and fire more bullets". the rate of fire on an automatic rifle is so high that you might actually get less casualties than with a handgun. this is because the bullet dispersement range would be narrow, whereas with a sidearm you can more easily fire in a variety of directions.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 1:59 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Uhh, I'd content that one can do a lot more damage with an M-16 than a 9mm 92F. Rate of fire and accuracy come to mind, here.

Which might explain why they are carrying the M-16s in some places to begin with.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At one point someone on here said that the guns aren't even loaded. Not sure if that's true.

Go to a German airport. There are ten times as many military type guards carrying loaded weapons there. How many of them shoot up the airport for no reason?

d
Old Feb 18, 2002, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Be aware that the 55 grain 5.56 mm full metal jacket rounds the M-16s fire are very high velocity and tend to ricochet (off walls, bones, and other hard surfaces ) a lot. I think the M-16s these days fire 2-3 round bursts instead full automatic. That'd cause more casualties than the slow 9mm rounds the Berattas (or the typical sub machine guns such as the Heckler & Kochs).
Old Feb 18, 2002, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Go to a German airport. There are ten times as many military type guards carrying loaded weapons there. How many of them shoot up the airport for no reason?
</font>
There's a built-in safe guard of sorts right there. There are others who will (or should) stop the potential shooter by lethal meansif necessary.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 2:54 pm

I have a friend in the natl guard who is a lawyer who got called up for airport duty. Its very scary to think of this guy with a gun. Anyway, his unit was issued M-16's and ammunition but they must keep the ammo in a belt pocket--not allowed to load their weapons until needed.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:

</font>
That's complete BS. I've been through German airports 12 times since 9/11 (including two airports yesterday) and the level of armed personnel is much higher now in most US airports than it is in German airports (at least FRA and MUC, the two largest).
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree with Dudster. Other examples where elite troops are displayed with full "battle gear" that come to mind are HKG and SIN. In both airports they are walking around with automatic weapons.

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 02-18-2002).]
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:07 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
(duplicate post)

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 02-18-2002).]
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

But you all are missing something here. If you have watched any movies you should know that those weapons will not hit the good guys. You now the movies, 30 guys with automatic weapons can not hit the good guy. He pulls out a saturday night special and picks them off one by one.

See, there is a plan!
Old Feb 18, 2002, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Nat Guard does not normally train with pistols, so this is not a short term option. M-16's tend to fire up rather than across unless done professionally. The risk of killing a bystander is quite low, especially when compared with a hijacker crashing a plane into a building. Probably better things to worry about.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 4:50 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
For what it's worth, the M9/92Fs I've seen on the National Guard in various airports seem to be loaded (at least in the sense that there appears from a cursory glance to be a round in the chamber causing the indicatior "bump" to be "bumped up."

Disclaimer: my 92 is a 92G Elite-II, so the stainless slide allows easier viewing of the loaded chamber bump.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 5:17 pm

The NG personnel at ORD do not carry M-16s, they only have a sidearm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.