FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   The Status Match Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/9558-status-match-master-thread.html)

GUWonder Dec 3, 2005 7:12 am

Originally Posted by stuart_frequent_traveller
IMHO - Due to data protection laws BA wouldn't give out any info and DL wouldn't call. I think may be the reason they need copies of cards and statements. Otherwise they would call the other FFP and get your details.

That's the way it's supposed to work. But it doesn't work that way always (unfortunately). Data protection laws doesn't mean that they are not violated on occassion. ..... and the "gender" of the accounts not matching has certainly been caught once by UA when a status match from BA (Gold, if I recall correctly) was underway. Yes, some may "get away with it", but one was also certainly caught -- but without consequence other than not achieving the status match.

In any case, BA won't be needing copies of cards and statements since they generally don't do status matches (at least not these last couple of years). DL would want such copies, but DL's been known to do status matches without copies of either the card or alternatively without copies of the statements.

ScottC Dec 3, 2005 10:11 am

Originally Posted by RussianGuy
actually i'm really surprised with this comment - I thought this site is all about how to make better in FF programs and how to get more out of nothing (like Hilton Gold out of out of strange CC promotion, for example)....

Yes, that is what Flyertalk is all about, but it does not include commiting fraud to do so. Altering a FF statement and sending it in claiming it is yours is downright deception, and if the airlines read this thread (and they do) then you might be responsible for messing up things for 1000's of people if they decide to pull their status match program.

cerealmarketer Dec 3, 2005 10:23 am

Dual status with NW and another carrier --> CO

Curious about this one...

Let's say you have earned status with both NW and, say UA. Can you use the UA status to comp over to CO, or will they be able to tell that you already have status with NW based on your previous CO reservations w/ a NW number?

gleff Dec 3, 2005 10:24 am

Originally Posted by RussianGuy
any comments? )

Yes, that this is unacceptable and not something that most Flyertalkers would do or condone. :td:

gleff Dec 3, 2005 10:25 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Let's say you have earned status with both NW and, say UA. Can you use the UA status to comp over to CO, or will they be able to tell that you already have status with NW based on your previous CO reservations w/ a NW number?

95%+ chance no problem at all.

GUWonder Dec 3, 2005 10:27 am

UA -> CO status match (even when having NW status) has worked before. Given the circumstances you present, CO could -- if they want -- tell that you had status with NW; however, they don't seem to do that "checking" routinely when making their status match decision -- or at least it's not an obstruction to CO status matches.

ScottC Dec 3, 2005 10:27 am

Agree with Gleff, given the sad state of affairs of IT within airlines I seriously doubt the could make that match.

cerealmarketer Dec 3, 2005 10:55 am

Perfect, thanks. CO's CEO is proud of the fact that it can pull up someone's entire history with one email address, OnePass #, or other info. in an instant. Sounds like it's gone through with no problem though. I'll prob. have a different address at the time anyway.

925 Dec 6, 2005 11:46 am

AA reschedule forces me to defect - DL?

I am starting to book my monthly flights for 2006, and see that AA has rescheduled in such a way as to make me overnight coming home every time. That ain't gonna happen!

These days, is there any chance DL will comp AA EXP to top tier?

And I'm used to lots of free upgrades on AA. What are upgrades on DL like?

TheKnife Dec 6, 2005 12:02 pm

I submitted my deal to be an Premier Ex on UA. I'm currently ExPlat on AA. I have a UA flight late Jan I wanna be comfortable in.

shah1md Dec 6, 2005 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheKnife
I submitted my deal to be an Premier Ex on UA. I'm currently ExPlat on AA. I have a UA flight late Jan I wanna be comfortable in.

Do you know how long it takes? I just sent out a letter along with my AA summary. I'm PLT and hoping to also be comfortable for a mid Dec flight.

GUWonder Dec 6, 2005 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by 925
I am starting to book my monthly flights for 2006, and see that AA has rescheduled in such a way as to make me overnight coming home every time. That ain't gonna happen!

These days, is there any chance DL will comp AA EXP to top tier?

And I'm used to lots of free upgrades on AA. What are upgrades on DL like?

DL GMs (which is generally what AA EXPs get status matched to with DL) get domestic upgrades sort of akin to what AA EXPs get ... i.e., unlimited free domestic upgrades; but I have had free upgrades with AA as an EXP far more frequently than I get them with DL as a DL Platinum Medallion.

The chances that DL will comp a typical AA EXP to DL PM is very slim to none. Gold Medallions is the level they generally give as part of a status match to an AA EXP.

TheKnife Dec 7, 2005 8:12 am

Originally Posted by shah1md
Do you know how long it takes? I just sent out a letter along with my AA summary. I'm PLT and hoping to also be comfortable for a mid Dec flight.

I have no idea how long it takes but mid December might be pushing it for an airline. Good luck. If I were you I'd fax and overnight your info but its too late for that now.

GUWonder Dec 7, 2005 8:26 am

Originally Posted by shah1md

Faxing UA with a copy/printout of the AA statement and a copy of the AA card has resulted in UA doing a status match within a week's time or less generally. Maybe December is more busy, but January has not been so busy as to mess up the 1-week or less time frame for a status match.

IceTrojan Dec 7, 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I am currently attempting to status match my AA-PLT with OZ-Diamond. Will report back with the results.

PS to Russian Guy - that wasn't just "how to work around the system"... that was outright fraud. :td:

Update: OZ wants a statement as well as a copy of the card... no way getting around the card requirement.

They are processing my application, and the agent said in all likelihood Seoul will approve my request. However, my mom hasn't received her card yet, so without a copy of it they're not too optimistic.