Wiki Posts
Search

Which Card/Program for me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond
Which Card/Program for me?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm at a crossroads.

I travel strictly for leisure. I make reservations for myself and my family months in advance. I live by BWI. In an average year I fly the following:

8X BWI -DTW
4X BWI -ORD
4X BWI - somewhere else.. usually resorts, some Mexcio, Some Carribean, Some ski areas, etc

I only spend a few nights a year in a hotel.

I rack up almost 200K a year in CC expenses. I'm currently putting about 75K on my WN RR which (along with my trips) gives me companion status.

I've been putting the rest on my NW WP credit card. But I don't hear any good things regarding Delta, and my NW WP (US Bank) card will soon be no longer due to merger.

Given where I travel, where I'm based, what card/program do you reccomend that use for the remaining $125K?

I really like WN.... I rack up a lot of rewards, my wife travels for free with me on my Companioin Pass.. But, WN doesn't fly international. And WN doesn't fly or ORD. (or some other areas). (I can only use so many of the rewards in a year)

What do you recommend?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue
I rack up almost 200K a year in CC expenses...
Amex SPG may be a good start. You can transfer SPG points to different FFPs at 1:1 ration (Not UA). Check out Webflyer Converter for details. With every block of 20K transfer, you also get 5K bonuses. This should get your international travels covered.

I don't fly WN so don't know much about it. I do know they don't fly internationally and don't fit my travel patterns/destinations.

If I were you, I probably would concentrate on one (major) alliance and try to achieve elite status, so you may enjoy the perks of flying byond WN World.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Wow.. thanks for that link.. that's exactly what I've been looking for...

I'm kind of stuck with WN because they basically have a hub in BWI, no one else does..

Since I don't use hotels much.. what is the advantage of a SPG card vs a normal amex platinum?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
NeilGoBlue, I just wanted to let you know that WN will soon be partners with Volaris. Volaris is a LCC in Mexico. This will start in 2010.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Yep.. Definitely looking forward to it..
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Since I don't use hotels much.. what is the advantage of a SPG card vs a normal amex platinum?
I saw this question unanswered, so:

You can transfer MR to several airlines, but SPG to many more airlines. Even when you have a cobranded Amex (for example with AA) you are better off with SPG because you earn 25% bonus when transferring 20K points.

In many cases you earn 1 point/$, so with spending 20K you'll earn 20K miles when using MR. When you used SPG you earned 25K miles - and have more options to choose from.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks..

Do I still get the lounge access that comes with the Amex platinum with the spg card?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
As a BWI flyer, my main carriers have been UA and CO,with WN for short hops or nonstops when necessary.

I use UA almost exclusively for international travel.CO will be joining Star Alliance in October,giving more options.

I tend to use the SPG AMEX for most things,but I also carry a UA card and a WN Visa,which I use to boost credits to get a CP. Unlike you,I am in hotels often,so I also use their cards also,especially when there are bonuses available.

If you decide to go with UA,the conversion from SPG is not good,which is why I keep a UA card in case I need to boost points.I earn most of my UA miles BIS,which sounds as if it is not the case with you.

I have had good luck redeeming rewards on UA also,especially if you can book early,keeping in mind that schedules seem to change often.I just had my 5th major schedule change on a September 09 trip on UA.

If you fly enough to achieve status on UA,you are also entitled to E+ access,which makes UA stand above all other coach products for me,especially internationally.

I'd charge only enough on the WN Visa to maintain your CP then switch to whatever carrier/card you decide upon.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Do I still get the lounge access that comes with the Amex platinum with the spg card?
No you do not but the AMEX PLAT lounge access is pretty useless at BWI anyway. (yes...I'm BWI based) The way the lounge access works is that you have access to the lounge of the carrier you are ticketed on (so either AA, DL or CO) only on the day you are ticketed. I am not sure if you were thinking you could get access to the airlines lounge even if you were on a different carrier...if so...that's a no go!! I use the AMEX PLAT lounge access if I fly through a AA, DL or CO hub with the airline but since BWI doesn't have any decent lounges you are pretty much out of luck here.

I bank most of my miles that I don't fly on SWA on my Lufthansa FF card (a Star Alliance member along with UA and US and soon to be CO) since I fly internationally several times a year out of Dulles and Philly on LH.

If I were in your shoes I would stick with SWA and then get the SPG AMEX card like others have suggested. The card gives you the flexibility to transfer to numerous airlines and its MUCH cheaper than the AMEX PLAT card. Here's a link to the Starwood page detailing the airlines and ratios for their transfers:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...tner_list.html

If you decide to stick with NW/DL you might want to do some reading in the DL forum on their AMEX credit card. I know they offer some pretty decent sign-up bonuses from time to time but I have not applied for one since I have had issues with DL award redemptions in the past.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.