FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Card/Program for me?
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:18 am
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue
Do I still get the lounge access that comes with the Amex platinum with the spg card?
No you do not but the AMEX PLAT lounge access is pretty useless at BWI anyway. (yes...I'm BWI based) The way the lounge access works is that you have access to the lounge of the carrier you are ticketed on (so either AA, DL or CO) only on the day you are ticketed. I am not sure if you were thinking you could get access to the airlines lounge even if you were on a different carrier...if so...that's a no go!! I use the AMEX PLAT lounge access if I fly through a AA, DL or CO hub with the airline but since BWI doesn't have any decent lounges you are pretty much out of luck here.

I bank most of my miles that I don't fly on SWA on my Lufthansa FF card (a Star Alliance member along with UA and US and soon to be CO) since I fly internationally several times a year out of Dulles and Philly on LH.

If I were in your shoes I would stick with SWA and then get the SPG AMEX card like others have suggested. The card gives you the flexibility to transfer to numerous airlines and its MUCH cheaper than the AMEX PLAT card. Here's a link to the Starwood page detailing the airlines and ratios for their transfers:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...tner_list.html

If you decide to stick with NW/DL you might want to do some reading in the DL forum on their AMEX credit card. I know they offer some pretty decent sign-up bonuses from time to time but I have not applied for one since I have had issues with DL award redemptions in the past.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 20, 2009 at 11:28 am