Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

First Time on British Air- do I go with AA miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time on British Air- do I go with AA miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:03 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I'd definitely put the QF sectors into Qantas ... they'll give you 100% for those sectors.

Another option for you is to upgrade sectors to WT+ on BA for £150 a sector. You would then earn 125% of miles on QF or BA, and 100% on AA (I think, though I'm no AA expert). Might be an idea on the longer sectors ?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:49 am

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
ADU,

It should be noted that under the new AA partner rules. L fares get 100% q-points. It may be a consideration if status is wanted.

If you sign up to the Platinum challenge then I calculate that PDX-YVR-LHR-JNB is 10590 miles and if all on BA then you will get 10590 q-points enough to complete the challenge.

If you need any help on the challenge then do a search in AA forum.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Smart Monkey (edited Jan 15, 2004).]
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:58 am

Duplicate message.

Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:43 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
I thought that Oneworld RTW trips in economy booked into M class, that might make a difference.

------------------
dallasflyer, Let's put the fun back in FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:54 am
ADU
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Smart Monkey:
ADU,

It should be noted that under the new AA partner rules. L fares get 100% q-points. It may be a consideration if status is wanted.

If you sign up to the Platinum challenge then I calculate that PDX-YVR-LHR-JNB is 10590 miles and if all on BA then you will get 10590 q-points enough to complete the challenge.

If you need any help on the challenge then do a search in AA forum.

Thanks,

</font>
I would have never known about the challenge. Thanks! I think that would be a good thing to do as my future AA flights would be more profitable with bonus miles. Still not sure what RTW books at (M or L) so waiting to get my paper tickets from the client. Then I can find out about those Qantas legs. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 9:17 am

I think now RTW ticket are booked L fare class.

Old Jan 16, 2004, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Smart Monkey:
I think now RTW ticket are booked L fare class.
</font>
If you have a OneWorld OWE LONE5 explorer ticket you have 20 segments/flights possible (including 6 in NA and 4 in Aust) and up to 12 months to do the trip.

Do you have your route yet? A route change will cost you $100. Date changes are free. One restriction is that when you return to your departure airport the trip is finished, irrespective of the flights completed.

With a little planning you could do more flights - more miles

Take a look on the Oneworld forum

Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
And for the love of god, do not go with any program in which you'll only earn 25%! If Alaska gives you 100%, go with them.

Don't think "but I'm never going to Alaska or flying the airline". It doesn't matter, you can use those miles on any of their partners - of which they have about five thousand, last time I checked.

FYI, it is too late now, but *A RTW miles count 100% in any member's program, good for elite, etc. Something to keep in mind.

Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:22 pm
ADU
Original Poster

This is all such a game but I am going to try to play it. If I can play on Delta for the past few years, I can survive anything.

Will have the miles go to my AA account. The clients travel agent booked all of this and gave my AA number in the booking but I imagine I will still have to do some hounding to get them. Anyway, I will get full q-points for my AS and BA segments. I will sign up for the Plat Challenge, of which I knew nothing about, and get that on this flight. That leaves my Qantas segments- lots of miles that can go nowhere? Doesn't look like it- I opened an Alaska account and I will get, I think, 100% of those miles. It won't count for any MVP or anything but I will get the miles.

My other lesson learned is that I will book this flight on my own in the future. BA with an L ticket..I lose so many miles. Live and Learn, at least I am not paying for the ticket.

Thanks everybody!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ADU:
This is all such a game but I am going to try to play it. If I can play on Delta for the past few years, I can survive anything.

Will have the miles go to my AA account. The clients travel agent booked all of this and gave my AA number in the booking but I imagine I will still have to do some hounding to get them. Anyway, I will get full q-points for my AS and BA segments. I will sign up for the Plat Challenge, of which I knew nothing about, and get that on this flight. That leaves my Qantas segments- lots of miles that can go nowhere? Doesn't look like it- I opened an Alaska account and I will get, I think, 100% of those miles. It won't count for any MVP or anything but I will get the miles.

My other lesson learned is that I will book this flight on my own in the future. BA with an L ticket..I lose so many miles. Live and Learn, at least I am not paying for the ticket.

Thanks everybody!
</font>

Unless I missed something, you will not get a full q-point flying BA. This is from AA.com:

First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus 1.50
Business Class C, D, J, I 100% + 25% bonus 1.25
World Traveller Plus T, W 100% + 10% bonus 1.00
Economy Class Y, B, H 100% 1.00
Discount Economy Class G, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V 25% 0.50
**Transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. are not eligible for mileage accrual.

It's a half a point for mile flown in discount economy.

[This message has been edited by andrzej (edited Jan 16, 2004).]
Old Jan 17, 2004, 2:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:

Unless I missed something, you will not get a full q-point flying BA. This is from AA.com:

First Class A, F, P 100% + 50% bonus 1.50
Business Class C, D, J, I 100% + 25% bonus 1.25
World Traveller Plus T, W 100% + 10% bonus 1.00
Economy Class Y, B, H 100% 1.00
Discount Economy Class G, K, L, M, N, O, Q, S, V 25% 0.50
**Transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. are not eligible for mileage accrual.

It's a half a point for mile flown in discount economy.

[This message has been edited by andrzej (edited Jan 16, 2004).]
</font>
The year is 2004. New rules.

Notsosmart

AS will only give 25% miles for discounted economy on BA flights.

ADU

I would still suggest posting all AS and BA flights to AA for the above reason.

I would also suggest posting the qantas fligthts
Either to Qantas
or to AS
or if you have completed the challenge by the time you take your first Qantas then post them to AA as you get 100% miles (50% + 50% Platinum Bonus).

Hope this help and have a good trip.

Thanks,
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:28 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
I stand corrected, RTW is a L fare basis.
------------------
dallasflyer, Let's put the fun back in FlyerTalk!

[This message has been edited by dallasflyer (edited Jan 17, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by dallasflyer (edited Jan 17, 2004).]
Old Jan 17, 2004, 6:55 am
ADU
Original Poster

[B] The year is 2004. New rules.

I would also suggest posting the qantas fligthts
Either to Qantas
or to AS
or if you have completed the challenge by the time you take your first Qantas then post them to AA as you get 100% miles (50% + 50% Platinum Bonus).
B]</font>
I saw the new 04 rules and that is why I am going to post them to AA. My plan is to put the BA and AS miles on AA and the Qantas miles on AS because I can get 100% of them. As far as Qantas L fares on AA, new 04 says I get nothing. Would that change if I was Plat? If so, I would put them all on AA, otherwise, I think AS would be best.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:46 am

Yes you are right about the Qantas flights. I did not check L class miles and points earning on new 2004 AA table, my mistake. I think you will only get 25% at AS as this is discounted econ, but it better than nothing. You could always post them to Qantas.

[This message has been edited by Smart Monkey (edited Jan 17, 2004).]
Old Jan 17, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
If you are an American citizen, with a US mailing address, you can't acquire BA miles for transatlantic flights in your AA account. I flew BA from JFK - LHR - FCO and couldn't get miles for the JFK - LHR portion. It's a silly rule and has caused me to switch to DL for my international flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.